Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-03-2006, 04:10 PM   #1

Handbrake makes loud "POP" noise

If I am driving and I pull up gently on the handbrake an extremely loud "POP" or SNAPPING noise will be heard. As if something is breaking free . Pulling up the handbrake again will yield a much softer POP noise. I know nothing about the (probably) very simple emergency break system in these cars. Any ideas of what may be causing the "POP"?

2000S Manual

Old 06-03-2006, 06:48 PM   #2

Ahmm. do you press the button when you pull them up? If not, that would easly break your handy dandy E-break.
redman12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 08:40 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by redman12
Ahmm. do you press the button when you pull them up? If not, that would easly break your handy dandy E-break.

Yes...I do press in the button and when I SLOWLY pull up on the brake I always hear a loud "POP"...as if something is breaking free from. Sort of like when you wash your car and the first time you drive it the brakes have formed a slight rusted "bond" to your rotors and the car will have to "break" free form the rust.

The problem is that the "pop" is VERY LOUD and very CONSISTENT.

When I do park the car and I use the handbrake, the car does not slip. The brake seems to hold the car just fine. Of course I park in gear most of the time as a precaution.

I guess what I am looking for is for someone to quickly explain how this brake works and where I should look for potential hang-ups in the system. I have the Boxster manuals on CD, but have searched to no avail as to how this e-brake system actually works. I assume it is a very simple system...but before I crawl under this thing (again) I want to know what I am looking for rather than just taking wild guesses.

Thanks!
Old 06-04-2006, 01:32 PM   #4

do u push in the clutch when u pull it? Thats real important...
kyle986driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-04-2006, 02:44 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by kyle986driver
do u push in the clutch when u pull it? Thats real important...
What does pushing in the clutch have to do with the handbrake? I've owned manual transmission cars for years and have never been told/had to push in the clutch before pulling up the brake.
Old 06-05-2006, 07:16 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
What does pushing in the clutch have to do with the handbrake? I've owned manual transmission cars for years and have never been told/had to push in the clutch before pulling up the brake.

if you pull the handbreak with the clutch engaged (and car moving at a speed) then you still have the full engines power working against the rear wheel brakes(the handbrake). I pull the HB all the time to make quick turns and with the clutch engaged i hear the loud POP and the car hardly slows down.

xclusivecar- what are you trying to do when you pull the handbrake? lock up the back tires or just curious as to what will happen?
Old 06-06-2006, 01:59 PM   #7

Here's why I ask...

I drive my car year round here in Chicago and on the first warm day I wanted to put the top down. The top wouldn't go down and I noticed the handbrake light on the dashboard was not on. Knowing that this light had to be on to lower the top I figured it was a bad switch or something. I let the handbrake down and proceeded to drive away. As I started to drive away I heard a "pop" noise such as rusted rotors breaking free from the pads. It was very loud so I stopped the car and pulled up the handbrake. The handbrake light now came on! I was able to put the top down.

Still curious as to what the sound was I gently pulled up the handbrake while driving while holding in the safety button and another "pop" sound was heard...although much softer.

Since then, every morning as I slowly drive away from my home I can pull up lightly on the handbrake and hear one LOUD "pop" and if I put down and pull up on the brake lightly again I can hear successive little "pops". As if something is binding and then breaking free.

I am looking for information as to how the handbrake works. What are the mechanicals of it...before I crawl under the car and start looking at who knows what. I am fairly mechanically inclined but don't like just guessing what i'm looking at while under a vehicle.

Not looking to lock up any tires here or make sharp turns. (Although this is great fun in an old car in an open parking lot and in the snow!!!)

Thanks!
Old 06-06-2006, 05:37 PM   #8

hmmm...ok, that sounds kind of strange, definatly sounds like some binding is occuring and i know the HB is very simple but i dont know the EXACT workings of it..any one else have any knowledge of the HB?

sorry i couldnt help, good luck!
Old 06-06-2006, 07:49 PM   #9

I'm a bit confused, but maybe this can help a bit.

It's not necessary to push the button when you raise the hand brake. It's not a safety button, it's a release button. The handbrake is nothing more than a ratchet (gear wheel and pahl). As you pull it up, the pahl clicks into teeth on the gear wheel. The button releases the pahl and allows the handbrake to go back down. So, as you pull up without using the button, you will hear clicking. If you use the button, you shouldn't hear any clicking. Either way, it doesn't affect how the brake operates.

I admit I don't really know much about the mechanicals of the Boxster hand brake, but I doubt they have really changed much, even for a Porsche. As such, they are typically a mechanical as opposed to hydraulic operation. This is for safety in case the hydraulics fail (hence it's often known as a safety brake). As the hand brake is raised, a wire (which splits into two wires) is pulled and manually activates the rear brakes. The typical adjustment is done by hand by tightening or loosening the wire mechanism (usually under the car where the wire splits from one into two wires).

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 06:01 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
It's not necessary to push the button when you raise the hand brake. It's not a safety button, it's a release button. The handbrake is nothing more than a ratchet (gear wheel and pahl). As you pull it up, the pahl clicks into teeth on the gear wheel. The button releases the pahl and allows the handbrake to go back down. So, as you pull up without using the button, you will hear clicking. If you use the button, you shouldn't hear any clicking. Either way, it doesn't affect how the brake operates.
agreed. you do NOT need to press the button when engaging the e-brake; this will NOT hurt your car (nor will pullint the e-brake without pressing the clutch). as for the 'popping' sound described by xclusivecar, i have heard this as well. there is a piece in the e-brake system that rotates in order to spread the brake shoes. it is probably binding to the brake shoes a bit.

removing the rear rotors and cleaning / lubricating the e-brake system will probably solve the problem. after the brake rotors are back on, adjust the shoes. if you still hear the popping, replace the e-brake springs; they may be wearing out.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:08 AM   #11

mine does that too

the car has to be moving, pull up on your rear brake, it pops.

Doesn't bother me too much.
BobMarley1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-16-2006, 08:19 PM   #12

I thought it had something to do with the ABS?

The e-brake is really weak on these cars when in motion. In my old car I could lock up the back wheels for drifting (FWD) at speed with no problem.

http://img141.imageshack.us/img141/641/grille9vq.jpg
Tuner is offline   Reply With Quote