Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-31-2006, 09:44 PM   #1

Diagnosed dead at 76K miles

My 2000 Boxster recently was diagnosed "dead", or must be replaced. Needless to say I'm seeking second opinions.

When I left home, it left a strange smell in the garage. Down the road some 40 miles the oil light flickered on the dash, and a squeel came from the back. I stopped driving the car within 200 yards of the oil light.

My first thought was the oil pump or some belt was causing the squeel. My mechanic told me that pre '02 Boxsters are known to have a "defect" in the engine that the cams go bad... I'm awaiting the full report tomorrow.

I'm being told that engine should be replaced... can't this be rebuilt?
Anyone have/know of such a experience?

I was quoted $9k for the new 2.7L, and $3k for installation. I'm looking for options (1) byte the bullet (2) rebuild if possible (3) sell the car (4) ?

Last edited by GhengisEEK; 06-01-2006 at 06:47 AM. Reason: Context Error (Years => Yards)
GhengisEEK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2006, 09:55 PM   #2

Send a message via AIM to blinkwatt
$3k for a straight 2.7L to another same design 2.7L is a little high. I would think $1.5k-2k max. Just try to wait with patience for the diagnosis. Keep us informed.
Old 05-31-2006, 10:38 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisEEK
When I left home, it left a strange smell in the garage. Down the road some 40 miles the oil light flickered on the dash, and a squeel came from the back. I stopped driving the car within 200 years of the oil light.
I think your problem was the time warp you drove through that caused you to drive the car for 200 years with the oil light on.
Wintermute is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-01-2006, 07:53 PM   #4
creseida

I have nothing to add except, great typo.
Old 06-02-2006, 06:04 AM   #5

"I'm being told that engine should be replaced... can't this be rebuilt?
Anyone have/know of such a experience?"

Porsche does rebuild them. That's what you (probably) will get if you buy a replacement engine from a dealer.
What they don't do is sell engine rebuild parts to third party engine rebuilders, nor to car owners for that matter.

I have heard some discussion that this may be changing in the future, but for the moment at least, if you need a "new" engine, you gotta get it from Porsche.
Ronzi is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:06 AM   #6

Actually, Porsche does NOT rebuild engines. They ship new engines but they re-use a few external parts, such as shrouding etc.

Thus they cannot claim it is a NEW engine as they do have some reused parts on the externals.

The internals are all new.

At least according to both parts and service at my local dealer.

They warranty the "rebuilt engines" for 12/12 I believe.

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-02-2006, 06:24 AM   #7

I particularly love the mechanic comment. I wish I had a dollar for every supposed known defect that causes the engine failure. It's the cam. No it's the intermediate shaft. No wait it's the cylinder sleeves. Oh, here's your problem - you're not supposed to drive over 40 miles at a time....

I wouldn't expect much from the "full diagnosis". To get that, you'd have to pay for them to dig into the engine and you probably don't want to add that expense to your potential engine replacement.

Out of curiosity, do you have an oil spot in your garage under where the Boxster sits? Please check and let us know. Might have been an RMS failure....

Please keep us posted on your tragedy....

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:20 AM   #8

Rich, so you're saying that all those bad engines that go back from the dealers are fed into the aluminum recycling furnace, regardless of what was wrong with them? I'm not sure I believe that.
It would make more sense that if the engine was rebuildable, they would rebuild it and sell it as a rebuilt unit. Maybe not Porsche themselves, but an authorized crew of Elves somewhere in the Black Forest.
Old 06-03-2006, 09:13 AM   #9

Here's the write-up

Since the original posting the shop did a cooliant pressure check by letting the car sit overnight and check for cooliant leak in the exhaust. It was there the next morning. I've attached the writeup.

Inaddition, I've been in contact with several "porsche" mechanics... one stated that it is true about engine rebuilds being primarily a Porsche Only Job and that's the way Porsche likes it.

I have no signals of an oil leak in the garage or loss of oil history. I'm leaning towards a blown gasket or cracked heads. I'm not up on the compression tolerance, but there is a swing in #3 and #4... on diff heads.

Last edited by GhengisEEK; 06-03-2006 at 09:17 AM. Reason: Addition
Old 06-03-2006, 09:29 AM   #10

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ronzi
Rich, so you're saying that all those bad engines that go back from the dealers are fed into the aluminum recycling furnace, regardless of what was wrong with them? I'm not sure I believe that.
It would make more sense that if the engine was rebuildable, they would rebuild it and sell it as a rebuilt unit. Maybe not Porsche themselves, but an authorized crew of Elves somewhere in the Black Forest.
That is what I was told by the SM at the local dealer. They do not rebuild the engines.

Given the time it takes to tear down an engine and rebuild it, it may be close to break even on this vs. a new engine that comes off a line.

Maybe?

Old 06-03-2006, 09:30 AM   #11

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
I particularly love the mechanic comment. I wish I had a dollar for every supposed known defect that causes the engine failure. It's the cam. No it's the intermediate shaft. No wait it's the cylinder sleeves. Oh, here's your problem - you're not supposed to drive over 40 miles at a time....

I wouldn't expect much from the "full diagnosis". To get that, you'd have to pay for them to dig into the engine and you probably don't want to add that expense to your potential engine replacement.

Out of curiosity, do you have an oil spot in your garage under where the Boxster sits? Please check and let us know. Might have been an RMS failure....

Please keep us posted on your tragedy....
Agreed. Unless there is something very obvious, like a piston out the block, mostly they are just guessing until it goes back and gets torn down!

If it does get torn down.

Old 06-03-2006, 04:24 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brucelee
That is what I was told by the SM at the local dealer. They do not rebuild the engines.

Given the time it takes to tear down an engine and rebuild it, it may be close to break even on this vs. a new engine that comes off a line.

Maybe?
That's exactly what I was told when my engine went. Worse, it could cost even more than a new engine since they have to actually find the damn problem which costs money. So, you could save thousands getting the existing rebuilt, or it could cost you thousands more than a new engine. Hence, most just go with the new engine. Also hence (double hence?), so little real info on the true engine failure causes.

I met some Porsche Authorized Elves once, nice little fellas. All named Hans. Strange.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-03-2006, 08:31 PM   #13

What to do?

Given that I'll probably need a new/used motor and be spending $8-14K on that...

(1) That won't happen
(2) What is a 2000 Boxster worth with a bad motor?
(3) Is right to pawn it off on an un-suspecting car dealer?
Old 06-04-2006, 05:51 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by GhengisEEK
Given that I'll probably need a new/used motor and be spending $8-14K on that...

(1) That won't happen
(2) What is a 2000 Boxster worth with a bad motor?
(3) Is right to pawn it off on an un-suspecting car dealer?
Go to the KBB and check out the private party value. Subtract 10K mininum.

You already know the answer to #3. It is not RIGHT to try to pawn it off on ANYONE.

Suck it up, the game of musical chairs has a point where the music stops.

Sadly, it stopped when you had the car.

Good luck.

Old 06-06-2006, 11:20 AM   #15

This rebuilt 986/996 engine business gets stranger the more I look into it.
After poking around on the internet for a while I did find a couple of outfits that claim to rebuild 986 and 996 engines. One of them is here in the US, and another is an outfit in the UK that appears to specialize in hi-tech coatings.
After thinking about it for a while, it is obvious that rebuilding one of these engines is not like taking a boring bar to my MGB and then putting in some .020 oversize pistons. Everything is made of unobtanium alloy and manufactured with a microscopically thin coat of nikasil or some such to make it wear better. It is entirely possible that doing a whole lot to the guts of the engine is not worth the trouble, and a new unit is the cheaper and better way to go in the long run.
You win, Rich, I think I'm a believer.
I just hope to god I never have to find out directly.
Old 06-06-2006, 09:00 PM   #16

Picking up the BOX-ster

I'm taking the car to another mechanic tommorrow for a second opinion... but from other posts (on other sites), it doesn't look good.

So many stories of 15K, 30K, and 60K engines going belly up. Luckily for those folks they we're under warrantee. I'm surprised that Porsche hasn't been flogged by a class action suite.

I'll keep you posted on the second look, and perhaps you'll see a happy ending.
Old 06-07-2006, 04:39 AM   #17

"I just hope to god I never have to find out directly"

Yes, gone are the days when you just went down to Pepp Boys and ordered a $1200 rebuilt small block chevy.

Well, you can still do that for your older classic, but .......

Too bad this hobby can get so expensive.

Old 06-07-2006, 05:35 AM   #18

just a question here: i know that the oil cooler in the boxster is an oil to water type. has anyone ever seen a failure of the oil cooler that caused water to appear in the oil supply?

GhengisEEK: did the car lose power before you shut it down? have you drained the oil to look for signs of metal shavings?

if you DO have a blown motor, you can pick up a used 2.7L for around $4000 - $5000 if you look around enough. the labor quote those guys gave you is obscene. it only takes about a day to swap motors in the box; you should be able to find someone who will do the install for under 2K. if it's a head gasket, the labor is a pain in the a$$ but i believe it can be repaired without removing the motor (it requires a good bit of knowledge and some special tools, so don't take it to joe blow).

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:12 PM   #19

This is worrysome to hear... I have a MY00 2.7 with +/-73K Miles. Engine is running strong. Should I consider selling the car as the engine is most likely to fail? Anybody here with a high milleage original engine?
GWPORSCHE is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-07-2006, 03:55 PM   #20

Rebuilding a boxster engine or 996 engine is not rocket science if you are very familiar with 911 engine rebuilding. We are one of about 4-5 companies in the US that have the ability to rebuild a 996 or boxster engine (outside of porsche themselves). A big part of this is due to the special tools that are required to rebuild one of the engines. They do not use the same tools as a traditional 911, and we spent a little over $5k on tools just to be able to rebuild the engines. Porsche dealers as far as I know do not rebuild the engines in house, they go back to Porsche for recycling.

With that being said, you will spend less just buying an boxster engine from porsche than it would cost to rebuild.