Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2016, 01:58 PM   #1

Putting 03 S into Service Mode

Today I tried to get the top into service mode and no matter what position I put the to the glass rear window was hitting the rollbars when trying to get it clear. It makes getting the carpet/cover very difficult to get out. Any tip on the glass window version?

achillies is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 03:07 PM   #2
Okinawa986

Service Mode for Glass Window Top

I feel your frustration as I just did this for the first time a few weeks ago to change air filter and belt.

This is what worked for me and my glass-windowed 2000S top...

1. Make sure the cables and attachments have been disconnected at the rear of the top as you will need the "slack".

2. Place a beach towel, blanket, or other protective covering over your roll bar to decrease the likelihood of the window scratching the painted roll bar.

3. Lower the top until it is just about even with the headrests (with stops in between - see Step 4).

4. Stop a couple of times in between the steering wheel and headrest to make sure nothing is pinching or still connected at the back end and to determine at what point the window will turn upside down when you lift the back part of the top up. After each stop, lift the back section while placing your other hand (underneath and inside) between the top of the rear window and your roll bar in order to prevent window from banging against the roll bar as well as to determine when you have enough slack in the top to push/pull the back section of the top high enough to remove storage compartment.

5. The weight of the glass won't allow the back section of the top to remain folded up without some help.
You could either prop it up or attach a bungee/rope to hold the bottom edge up if necessary.
I just used my elbow as I slid the [B]rear storage compartment[/B] and engine cover underneath the back section of the top. I found it easier to remove the carpet from the front after moving both seats fully forward.

Be careful when removing the storage unit as it has a loose metal bar beneath the "sliding doors".
Just lift up the storage compartment from the front and carefully pull out the thin metal bar before removing the rest of the plastic storage compartment.

6. Also be careful with the rear defrost wire. Try to locate its path before removing storage compartment, carpet, and engine cover to avoid damaging the connectors.

7. Make sure to re-attach/route the defrost wire, side connectors, and the rubber-lipped attachments at the bottom edge before attempting to close.
Replace the long narrow metal bar underneath the front edge of the storage compartment -- helps to prevent it from sliding on the carpet.

Good luck and hope this helps!

Respectfully,
Mitchell
Purchased May 2016
w/41.5k Miles

Last edited by DRGETZ; 07-15-2016 at 03:17 PM.
DRGETZ is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2016, 04:24 PM   #3

Thanks...I think there is also a cloth cable that can be used to hold the glass part up....it seems to be able to hook to something. Thanks I wasn't lowering the top enough.

Bob
Old 07-15-2016, 10:04 PM   #4

Neil did a video (not very different with a glass window):

https://youtu.be/hCpiWmqC_6k

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 05:00 AM   #5

Thanks I actually looked at it but it the glass top was not getting up high enough until I used DRGETZ way with the top way down to near the headrests.