Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-15-2016, 10:23 PM   #1

Problem with alarm and opening bonnet

Just got Home after three months away. I tried to start the car but the battery was flat. So got access to the fuse panel to open the front bonnet to get the battery out for charging, however as soon as I put a secondary battery on the car the alarm goes off.

Putting the key in the ignition I get no power to the dash or Windows etc.

Probably doesn't help that the only key I have here has knackered remote function. Any thoughts?

Lanark is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 12:47 AM   #2

Did you check fuses?

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-16-2016, 06:32 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Did you check fuses?

Regards, Markus
All the fuses are fine
Old 07-16-2016, 07:13 AM   #4

Hm, i think the fuse of the alarm system is shot. The alarm module is below the drivers seat and has it's own fuse.

If you replace this fuse, please disconnect the starter battery before and test the system when the drivers seat isn't placed in the car again. So you an check if the fuse gets shot again when you connect the starter battery.

Be quick when you connect the starter battery. Connect plus first and than minus. Not vice versa. And if you want to disconnect the starter battery, you just have to remove minus.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Markus
Old 07-16-2016, 08:23 AM   #5

I have tried again, this time ignoring the alarm and just letting the other battery hopefully feed some power to the battery on the Boxster.

After a few minutes the alarm stopped sounding. However, still no bonnet release or dash lights.

The electronics under the left hand seat then clicked away for a while, then stopped.

Still no signs of life though
Old 07-16-2016, 08:59 PM   #6

Quote:
Hm, i think the fuse of the alarm system is shot. The alarm module is below the drivers seat and has it's own fuse.

If you replace this fuse, please disconnect the starter battery before and test the system when the drivers seat isn't placed in the car again. So you an check if the fuse gets shot again when you connect the starter battery.

Be quick when you connect the starter battery. Connect plus first and than minus. Not vice versa. And if you want to disconnect the starter battery, you just have to remove minus.

Hope that helps.

Regards, Markus
Hi Markus
I checked all the fuses which related to the items I could see we're not working. Did not check the alarm fuse. I expect that is a seat out job.

I checked under the seat for dampness, and it's all dry.
Old 07-16-2016, 10:41 PM   #7

Hello Lanark,

the alarm system has a fuse in the alarm modul. To get there you'll need to put the seat out. I suspect the alarm fuse was shot by opening the bonnet via battery from the fuse panel in the drivers footwell. Nothing to do with water below the seat.

Regards, Markus
Old 07-16-2016, 11:08 PM   #8

Quote:
Hello Lanark,

the alarm system has a fuse in the alarm modul. To get there you'll need to put the seat out. I suspect the alarm fuse was shot by opening the bonnet via battery from the fuse panel in the drivers footwell. Nothing to do with water below the seat.

Regards, Markus
I take it the broken alarm fuse sits on the output side of the alarm which is why the alarm itself is working ok?