Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-07-2016, 11:08 AM   #1

Adding a second cam sensor to ROW 2.5L engine?

Is there a way to turn on or add the second cam sensor to bank 2 on the ROW engine? It seems like a nice way to keep an eye on the IMS.

2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Bebbetufs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2016, 10:44 PM   #2

Why will an extra cam sensor help "keep an eye on the IMS"?
Old 05-08-2016, 12:00 AM   #3

Because if any of the cams develops slightly erratic timing it could indicate a sloppy IMS. Although it will most likely happen too fast te be picked up if it lets go, but it has probably saved some engines. Since most people don't monitor it regularly it would be a matter of luck if you decided to monitor them at the exact right time.

This is a track car so i can monitor between each session. It should give me a higher level of security.

I have been looking for photos to see if the cam shaft position on bank to is blocked off or if it has not been bored and machined on ROW engines, but I haven't found any. I'll take a look when I lift the car.
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Old 05-08-2016, 02:12 AM   #4

AFAIK as i know there is no bore. But the main problem seems that the 2.5 ECU doesn't have an input channel for a second cam sensor. So how will you get that to be worked? After market race ECU with individual software? Newer ECU that has to be flashed to older values? Very difficult.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 03:02 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
AFAIK as i know there is no bore. But the main problem seems that the 2.5 ECU doesn't have an input channel for a second cam sensor. So how will you get that to be worked? After market race ECU with individual software? Newer ECU that has to be flashed to older values? Very difficult.

Regards, Markus
Thanks Markus.
I was hoping the ECU could be hacked/ programmed to read the sensor. After all the US software already has this capability, so the hardware is likely the same. Surely someone have found ways to hack the software of these cars?
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Old 05-08-2016, 07:01 AM   #6

Hello Bebbetufs,

could you please provide me / us with the DOM, ECU hardware version and ECU software version of your car.

Thanks & regards
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2016, 12:56 PM   #7

Yes of course, but I don't really know yet. I've only had this car since thursday. I am asking out of curiosity and because I like to plan ahead. I am continuosly pondering upgrades and mods I can do to improve relibility or to monitor things on track.

For my 944T a friend and I have made an arduino board which sends obdII codes via bluetooth to my android tablet. That way I can use the Torque app to monitor factory sensors as well as the ones I have added. I find it quite helpful, if only the engine would run

I'm only saying this to explain why I have an interest in this.Now that I have a Boxster I'm trying to learn and understand as much as possible about the car.
2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway
Old 08-07-2016, 04:47 AM   #8

I'm reviving this thread since I know the car much better now. Basically what I have is a US car and engine with the early ecu and wire-controlled throttle. It already has both cam sensors so I guess my question should be if I can flash the ECU to ROW to ditch the two catalytic converters and code it so I can keep the functionality of the two cam sensors. From what I've read about the two software versions it seems possible, at least in theory.��

2011 Mistubishi i-MiEV
Norway

Last edited by Bebbetufs; 08-07-2016 at 04:53 AM.