Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-28-2016, 02:12 AM   #1

986 3.4L Supercharged coming soon!

We are in the process of installing a supercharger on a 986 with a 3.4L 996 engine. I know that it is a risk supercharging a 986/996 engine but I think it is worth it .

The supercharger is being installed next to the AC compressor on the left upper side of the engine using also an open filter (that will get a heat shield).
New injectors have been installed that can flow up to about 460 HP.
A recirculating blow-off valve is also being installed.

Hopefully the engine will start again today and coming Tuesday it will be strapped on the dyno for further tuning. My aim is 400 HP at the crank (at about 4 PSI Boost).

Now let’s pray together that it all ends well

Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:03 AM   #2
Known Gearhead

Garage
Hello, Edreamsz.

My Boxster S is stock, but my Mazda Miata is supercharged at about 6 psi. I'm sure you've done some research and are aware of the issues involved in boosting a motor that was not designed for it. The two things I suggest you take special care about are engine cooling and ignition timing. The denser fuel/air mixture will require some spark advance, which will follow a curve based on RPMs. I've found that a programmable, and real-time adjustable, digital ignition control box is useful.

Cooling of the cylinder heads and the exhaust stream is trickier. The Boxster's exhaust path is short. You could actually melt the catalytic converter's guts if you're not careful. Or, just use a non-cat system. A high-flow water pump should be enough to keep the heads cool, but maybe not. Do the thermal calcs to see if the radiators will be able to shed enough heat.

Good luck with the project. It will be fast and fun. Do it right and it will last longer.

Cheers,

Dave
imon_2nd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 08:11 AM   #3

Following!!!
Old 04-28-2016, 12:29 PM   #4

Please share some pictures of your setup. I removed the AC compressor from my car and I've been wondering if a supercharger could take its place.
Old 04-29-2016, 05:14 AM   #5

Hi Dave,

Thanks for your reply and suggestions.

The correct air/fuel ratio will be achieved bij reprogramming the DME and the cooling has been increased by installing a 3rd (center) radiator. I also installed 550cc injectors and a new fuel pressure regulator.

I will make some pictures one we clean the engine bay

Quote:
Originally Posted by imon_2nd View Post
Hello, Edreamsz.

My Boxster S is stock, but my Mazda Miata is supercharged at about 6 psi. I'm sure you've done some research and are aware of the issues involved in boosting a motor that was not designed for it. The two things I suggest you take special care about are engine cooling and ignition timing. The denser fuel/air mixture will require some spark advance, which will follow a curve based on RPMs. I've found that a programmable, and real-time adjustable, digital ignition control box is useful.

Cooling of the cylinder heads and the exhaust stream is trickier. The Boxster's exhaust path is short. You could actually melt the catalytic converter's guts if you're not careful. Or, just use a non-cat system. A high-flow water pump should be enough to keep the heads cool, but maybe not. Do the thermal calcs to see if the radiators will be able to shed enough heat.

Good luck with the project. It will be fast and fun. Do it right and it will last longer.

Cheers,

Dave
Old 05-03-2016, 07:42 AM   #6

371 HP / 420 NM at the crank @ around 4 PSI Boost! I was aiming for 400 HP but this is a very nice first step. In the future I would like to increase the boost to about 4.5 and install larger 380 CC injectors (the 550cc where sadly to big). That will bring it to about 390/400 HP I hope

The stock injectors cannot go further than the above stated numbers. I am at work right now prohibiting me to drive to the Porsche tuner and pick te car up! Can't wait to drive the car again :dance:

I will upload some photo's soon!
Old 05-03-2016, 04:25 PM   #7

Is this a kit or something you designed yourself. I have a 3.4 too and would be interested in more info. Congrats and thank you. - J
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 07:34 AM   #8

It is a custom design. We used a Raptor V supercharger (Australian brand) a recirculating dump valve, custom fuel rail for the left fuel rail, etc. I still have to do some fine tuning.
  • The 550cc fuel injectors are too big so we are using the factory ones (around 290cc) but they are being pushed to their limit. (5 bar fuel pressure and max 90% duty cycle). I really don't like that so we are going to install 440cc injectors instead.
  • The air intake/filter is in the engine compartment right now and it's not to my liking, so we will have to think about another way to position the air filter so that it gets colder air.
  • And the boost pressure drops after 6250RPM. We think that it has something to do with the dump valve.
Old 05-04-2016, 08:31 AM   #9

Pictures and videos please.

Regards, Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-04-2016, 10:02 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Pictures and videos please.

Regards, Markus
+1 +1 +1, hell +1,000! lol. Please and thank you
2000 Boxster S, SPEC stage 1 clutch, Fabspeed sport headers, Fabspeed secondary cat deletes, Billy&Boat muffler, EVOM air intake, Ben006's Custom Short Shifter, Pedro's TechnoBrace, Eibach rear sway bar, De-snorkeled, Fred's custom projector HL
Dubaday is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-11-2016, 08:03 AM   #11

Sorry guys for the late reply. I am on vacation and will be back home in about 2 weeks. After that I will continue working on the car and make pictures! (Promise)

I still have to figure out how and where to move the airfilter. Right now its an open filter in the engine compartment. I think that i'm actually losing HP because of the heat in the engine compartment.
Old 05-19-2016, 08:05 PM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by JAAY View Post
Is this a kit or something you designed yourself. I have a 3.4 too and would be interested in more info. Congrats and thank you. - J

I read about a company called VF superchargers based out of california. (No affiliation) I figure if JAAY has the 996 3.4s and the ecu to go with it, you may be able to use the supercharger kit for the 996.

@ Edreamsz I think it is awesome you are supercharging the beast! Can't wait for pics either.

Last edited by Kenny Boxster; 05-19-2016 at 08:08 PM.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2016, 03:41 AM   #13

Thanks for your comment. I'm enjoying a vacation here in the South of France but cant wait to work on the car again.

Things to do:

Replace th fuel injectors with 420cc matched injectors
Redesign the connector where the dump valve and AOS/Catch can connect just before the Supercharger.
Find a place to get fresh to the intake filter: Right now the airfilter is in the engine compartment and the supercharger sits just in front of the air inlet for the original airbox. Any wild ideas in how I can get fresh air to the filter? (Air intake from inside my rear luggage bin?)

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenny Boxster View Post
I read about a company called VF superchargers based out of california. (No affiliation) I figure if JAAY has the 996 3.4s and the ecu to go with it, you may be able to use the supercharger kit for the 996.

@ Edreamsz I think it is awesome you are supercharging the beast! Can't wait for pics either.
Old 05-20-2016, 04:35 PM   #14

How do you arrive at your HP figure, is the engine out of the car?
1999 996, Track Only #996
Everything Jake could upgrade, and more!
ltusler is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2016, 09:55 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Edreamsz View Post
Thanks for your comment. I'm enjoying a vacation here in the South of France but cant wait to work on the car again.

Things to do:

Replace th fuel injectors with 420cc matched injectors
Redesign the connector where the dump valve and AOS/Catch can connect just before the Supercharger.
Find a place to get fresh to the intake filter: Right now the airfilter is in the engine compartment and the supercharger sits just in front of the air inlet for the original airbox. Any wild ideas in how I can get fresh air to the filter? (Air intake from inside my rear luggage bin?)
Install a 987 air filter box & MAF tube & 75mm throttle body along with the 996 DME program for that MAF tube. Search this forum for install instructions.
Old 05-21-2016, 10:18 AM   #16
Certified Boxster Addict

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 05-21-2016 at 10:22 AM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-13-2016, 11:51 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edreamsz View Post
Sorry guys for the late reply. I am on vacation and will be back home in about 2 weeks. After that I will continue working on the car and make pictures! (Promise)
How are you getting on with this.? Been over a month now dude.
Need pics...!!!
Dualist is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-24-2016, 11:35 AM   #18

Garage
How is this coming along? Would love to know more about it

There is no replacement for displacement
Bfan is offline   Reply With Quote