Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-25-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Location for the Master Connector on dashboard..?

By any chance does someone knows where is the dashboard Main Connector?

On the left or right side and how do you reach it?
I am sure that some panels will have to be removed, I am trying to remove (or disturb) the least as possible.

Thank you!

PS: Still hunting for my electrical problem...

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 01:58 PM   #2
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I'm not sure that I understand your question, but there are many connections in the dash and they are all part of the main harness. The dash cover can be removed without unplugging a big harness, but rather unplugging components.
Are you removing the dash? There is a good DIY .pdf file I think it was posted/hosted by Meir: https://www.dropbox.com/s/bjsmzjkt7fz4jru/step%202%20Dashboard%20cover%20removal.pdf?dl=0

I have mostly complete harness. If you need to see anything, let me know.

Last edited by 78F350; 04-25-2016 at 02:07 PM. Reason: Added link to DIY
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 02:05 PM   #3

78F350,
I am trying to find where the harness plugs into the master connector at the dash, honestly I am not sure if this will be a single computer or more than one.

I am having a problem which could be caused by a partially disconnected harness plug, as I have power for the instrument and accessories but not to starting the engine, I had been running in circles and also running out of options.

Thank you for your comments
Old 04-25-2016, 02:55 PM   #4

There isn't a "master connector."

Ignition switches themselves have proved troublesome and are often replaced. Definitely a DIY on the internet somewhere.

Disconnect the battery when changing the switch ... this is your master disconnect.
2007 GL320 CDI, 2010 CL550
2 BMW motorcycles
lkchris is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 03:00 PM   #5
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
78F350,
I am trying to find where the harness plugs into the master connector at the dash, ...
I just back tracked to your post: lost all power… Help please..?

I understand your frustration.
I also see that you have a Cayman(?) and what I am looking at is from an '01 Boxster. All of what follows is 986 info, but most should apply.

The "master connector" is what I am not understanding. Each component in the dash plugs into the main harness. What do you mean by "master"?

If you have replaced the ignition switch already and the connection is good, there are a few more things up front that may prevent it from starting (cranking):

Instrument cluster - Some processing goes on in there, but I'm not sure there is anything that would directly prevent a start.

Immobilizer pick-up coil (transponder coil) - This sends/receives the pulse that compares the code in your key to what is stored in your car's immobilizer. it is a small 2-wire connection to a black plastic piece that surrounds the ignition key cylinder.

Clutch or Neutral Safety Switch - depending on transmission type. On the pivot of the pedals for the clutch, or back on the transmission for an auto/Tip.

From there its left to the Central Locking unit (Immobilizer box) under the seat, the starter, or the DME (ECU) on the rear trunk firewall, or the wires connecting them.

Last edited by 78F350; 04-25-2016 at 03:03 PM.
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-25-2016, 05:05 PM   #6
Custom User Title Here

Garage
He has a clack from the starter solenoid, so it's not the transponder or clutch switch.

The fact that the starter is trying, but does not spin, coupled with complete power loss immediately after, leaves very few options.

It's a bad main connection somewhere not providing enough amps to crank the starter...I'm sure of it.

I'll post a wiring diagram later so that you can see. If the solenoid is activating, and the starter is fine, that leaves only connections. The starter is connected directly to the battery, via relay, so if it's getting power to the solenoid, then the relay is getting the "OK to start" signal.

Check the negative terminal to ground cable (both ends) and trace the positive side all the way to the relay, then from the relay to the starter. Also verify the relay is good and doesn't have pitted and scorched contacts.

Everything else is a waste of time
Seriously.
Old 04-25-2016, 08:24 PM   #7

Check the terminals on the starter. I had a loose one that about drove me nuts trying everything else
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 02:59 AM   #8
Master Brewer

Garage
Run an independent ground from the battery to the starter to test it. My experience is that many electrical issues are ground related. You may have already thought of this.... Good luck!
2004 Ford F-150 4X4 Crew
6 Fast Bicycles
Bootlegger is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2016, 08:11 AM   #9

Particlewave,

I received the pictures of the location of the Power Distributor, and now I know that before you can lower it into the passenger floor, first you need to remove the nuts next to the battery...

Hopefully there is a blown fuse, it mentions F-5 for the engine electronics with a rating of 80 Amps ..!

When I removed the starter to get it checked, I ensure that the connectors with the 12VDC were tight, and also checked the ground connectors between the engine and the frame

I will inspect the power distributor box tonight and let you guys know, I do really appreciate all the kind support and suggestions!

Regards, Gilles
Old 04-26-2016, 08:13 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bootlegger View Post
Run an independent ground from the battery to the starter to test it. My experience is that many electrical issues are ground related. You may have already thought of this.... Good luck!
Bootlegger,

I agree with you, after more than three decades of driving Fiat X1/9's and a couple of Alfa Romeo cars, I learn to respect the importance of the ground conections
Old 04-27-2016, 10:12 PM   #11

Finally good news,

The cause for my car problem ended being a faulty relay, Sunset Porsche help me to ID the relay for the starter and provided the P/N and (# 7) location on the relay box. and as soon as I replace it, the engine cranked to life.

You can imagine the joy to hear her purring, and after a detailed hand wash and 50 mile drive, the car feels awesome.

I also bought and installed a new ignition switch, and you can really feel the difference between the old and new switch, I am glad that I replace it.

I wanted to thank all of you that help with suggestions and even pictures (Thank you Particlewave, Markus,78F350) believe it or not, I learned a lot about the electrical system on my car (didn't have to remove the master Connector box)

The relay box is hidden above the fuse box and difficult to reach or see, as all you can see from below, are the connectors for the relays , and you need to lower the entire assembly to access the relays.

Thanks again for all the support, this place Rocks..!

PS: since all the (5) relays, had the same Tyco P/N (for different functions), perhaps may be a good idea to carry one as a spare, I know I will do it... LOL

Last edited by Gilles; 04-27-2016 at 10:15 PM.
Old 04-28-2016, 07:20 AM   #12

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Finally good news,

The cause for my car problem ended being a faulty relay, Sunset Porsche help me to ID the relay for the starter and provided the P/N and (# 7) location on the relay box. and as soon as I replace it, the engine cranked to life.

You can imagine the joy to hear her purring, and after a detailed hand wash and 50 mile drive, the car feels awesome.

I also bought and installed a new ignition switch, and you can really feel the difference between the old and new switch, I am glad that I replace it.

I wanted to thank all of you that help with suggestions and even pictures (Thank you Particlewave, Markus,78F350) believe it or not, I learned a lot about the electrical system on my car (didn't have to remove the master Connector box)

The relay box is hidden above the fuse box and difficult to reach or see, as all you can see from below, are the connectors for the relays , and you need to lower the entire assembly to access the relays.

Thanks again for all the support, this place Rocks..!

PS: since all the (5) relays, had the same Tyco P/N (for different functions), perhaps may be a good idea to carry one as a spare, I know I will do it... LOL
Excellent news and WOW what a process.... Now what is that relay PN Hmmm?
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-28-2016, 01:05 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Excellent news and WOW what a process.... Now what is that relay PN Hmmm?
Hello 911monty,

The P/N for the relay is 999 657 01 390 (this is the one that applies to the 987

Regards