Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2016, 09:34 PM   #1

lost all power… Help please..?

First I would like to mention, that I am completely electrically impaired (seriously).

Yesterday after leaving a shopping center, the car died and lost all electrical power, the instrument panel was completely dead and could not remove the key.

I finally was able to open the trunk after powering the lighter with a battery charger, and left it charging for almost 24 hours, and tonight when I got back from work, the charger was showing full charge and when I tried to start the engine everything went dark again.

Assuming that I had a bad battery, I remove it and went to the auto parts store where they determined the battery to be in good condition, went to a different auto parts and same results.

After reinstalling the battery, all the accessories came back to life (radio, windows, courtesy lights, etc.,) but as soon as I turn on the key, you can hear a click noise on the starter and all the electrics go dead again and using jumper cables does not help either.

However, if I disconnect one of the terminals on the battery for a moment, then everything starts to work again, until you try to start the engine, then you hear a solid clack from the engine and everything goes dark again.. I repeated the cycle of disconnecting the battery a few times but ended with the same results.

What could be wrong? The fuses seems to be ok..

I am in concerned (bad timing) because I borrowed my neighbors garage for one night because I was not comfortable leaving the car outside with the windows open

Help Please..?

Last edited by Gilles; 04-19-2016 at 09:37 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2016, 09:59 PM   #2
Custom User Title Here

Garage
Have you replaced the ignition switch recently?
I'd start there and disconnect/reconnect battery to get windows up.

Adding thoughts...
This behavior sounds exactly like a bad battery or connection. I went through something similar about a decade ago with my daily driver. Had the exact same symptoms when trying to start (clack from the starter solenoid, then the dome light and all electrics would die and not come back on until battery disconnected).
I replaced the battery, to no avail. After a few days of trouble shooting, I finally found a corroded ground cable. Replacing it fixed the problem, but I'd still start with your ignition switch as it's a known issue and fairly cheap at most auto parts stores.

Last edited by particlewave; 04-19-2016 at 10:32 PM.
particlewave is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2016, 05:37 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by particlewave View Post
Have you replaced the ignition switch recently?
I'd start there and disconnect/reconnect battery to get windows up.

Adding thoughts...
This behavior sounds exactly like a bad battery or connection. I went through something similar about a decade ago with my daily driver. Had the exact same symptoms when trying to start (clack from the starter solenoid, then the dome light and all electrics would die and not come back on until battery disconnected).
I replaced the battery, to no avail. After a few days of trouble shooting, I finally found a corroded ground cable. Replacing it fixed the problem, but I'd still start with your ignition switch as it's a known issue and fairly cheap at most auto parts stores.
Particlewave,

I already order the switch from Sunset Porsche because Pedro (Pedro's garage) kindly advised that the switch on my car was different from the earlier switches, and Sunset mentioned that if I don't install it, it could be returned.

Someone on the Cayman site also recommended to check the cable that goes to the starter and another one at the "Y" by the firewall because (according to him), if the connection is loose you could fry the switch or the starter..

I will remove the engine cover and check these cables while the switch arrives.

The good news is that I got a trio of teenager musicians that were practicing next door to help me push the car back into my house (offer them a six pack), and with the windows closed I can relax and check the car at my own pace.

Also, on the Cayman site I read that replacing the switch is not too difficult (somewhere I read that before… LOL)

Thank you for your comments!

Last edited by Gilles; 04-20-2016 at 05:41 PM.
Old 04-21-2016, 07:33 AM   #4

The guys on the Cayman site must be short-armed contortionists ? Replacing the ignition switch is a challenge the first time because of access if you are large. Suggest you read up the diy photo guide for a quicker job.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-21-2016, 09:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post
Particlewave,

I already order the switch from Sunset Porsche because Pedro (Pedro's garage) kindly advised that the switch on my car was different from the earlier switches, and Sunset mentioned that if I don't install it, it could be returned.

Someone on the Cayman site also recommended to check the cable that goes to the starter and another one at the "Y" by the firewall because (according to him), if the connection is loose you could fry the switch or the starter..

I will remove the engine cover and check these cables while the switch arrives.

The good news is that I got a trio of teenager musicians that were practicing next door to help me push the car back into my house (offer them a six pack), and with the windows closed I can relax and check the car at my own pace.

Also, on the Cayman site I read that replacing the switch is not too difficult (somewhere I read that before… LOL)

Thank you for your comments!
+1 aobut reading up on the DYI's for ignition switch. I've done it about 4 or 5 times now on various Boxsters and it is, in fact, not hard at all....after the first time!

I suggest reading up on doing the replacement through the AC vent. It sounds like alot of work but really makes the job a lot easier. Line up a short, jewelers flat head screw driver and you'll be good to go!

Actually though, while waiting for your ignition switch to arrive, you might want to look at and clean all battery and starter connections. Make sure to disconnect battery first!

Your starter is grounded to your motor by direct connection.
dghii is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-22-2016, 11:01 AM   #6

Thank you all for the suggestions and comments, the switch will arrive tomorrow and I will be checking as well the connectors of the cable that powers the starter motor as well.

I just hope that is not something more sinister (.. pricey)

Regards,
Gilles