Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-19-2006, 05:40 AM   #1

Valet Overrevved Car?

Got my car back from the valet at a restaurant and the car had 10 miles more than when I dropped it off. The car was "ticking" like it had recently been driven hard and was much hotter than would be expected for a short drive in the parking lot.

Can the on board computer tell me the rev range during a specific date and time?

Thanks

987dds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 06:29 AM   #2

I wouldnt worry about the "ticking" sound. It is the Cat Converter "shrinking" when it is cooling down after the engine reaches operating temps. There is DEFINITELY NO EXCUSE why your car could rack up 10 +/- miles just for valet.
spine911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 07:12 AM   #3

I can never seem to bring myself to hand over the keys to one of my Porsches to a valet...

http://forums.rennlist.com/rennforum...tar14266_4.gif
EX-88 951, 87 951, 86 944na, 85.5 944na 00 Audi S4..01 Boxster S .etc..etc
Marc Gelefsky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 08:31 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by spine911
I wouldnt worry about the "ticking" sound. It is the Cat Converter "shrinking" when it is cooling down after the engine reaches operating temps. There is DEFINITELY NO EXCUSE why your car could rack up 10 +/- miles just for valet.
I don't think the concern was the ticking per-se but instead that he recognized the car had reached a temperature it shouldn't have achieved going from Valet to restaurant.

I don't believe you can get the actual time-stamp for the revs. The car will track how many times you've redlined the car. This can be used, according to those on this forum, to potentially deny warranty coverage. I wouldn't be so worried about that since I'd think it would take some serious redlined data to deny coverage. What would worry and upset me was that someone drove your Boxster!

First, I'd check to make sure that you aren't missing anything from the vehicle. Then, I'd go back to the restaurant and demand answers from the Valet service. I would then also make sure that the restaurant manager is aware of what happened. This is equally important since most Valets are contracted and not run by the actual restaurant. As such, the manager is definately going to want to know about anything that makes his business look bad. It's entirely likely that this has happened before and/or that things have been stolen from cars while in the possession of the valet.

Unfortunately, this would have been better raised on or around the time you picked up the car.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2006, 02:02 PM   #5

I NEVER NEVER allow a valet to park my car at a restaurant.
I parked it myself recently and noticed the valet parking the cars WAY to close to each other. One valet saw me watching him and VERY carefully got out of the car so as not to touch the door of the next car. I wonder if he would have done that if I weren't watching.

Also, allot of restaraunts for liablity reasons farm out their valet service to third party valet services. SO the restaurant can wash their hands of your cars damage.
Just drop off your date at the front door and park it yourself.

In parking garages I park it myself and give the valet a tip just to keep on eye on it.
BORN: March 2000 - FINLAND
IMS#1 REPLACED: April 2010 - NEW JERSEY -- LNE DUAL ROW
Perfectlap is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 04:59 PM   #6

The first thing I thought of was Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
The car jumping the hump on the road.
Mark Miller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 05:20 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Then, I'd go back to the restaurant and demand answers from the Valet service. .
Nothing can be proven here so it would be useless to go back there and have a tantrum. Do you really think they are going to give him some answers are give an explanation? Get real. Don't valet your car next time and you don't have to worry about such things.

Last edited by Adam; 05-21-2006 at 05:32 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-21-2006, 06:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Nothing can be proven here so it would be useless to go back there and have a tantrum. Do you really think they are going to give him some answers are give an explanation? Get real. Don't valet your car next time and you don't have to worry about such things.
What a helpful post. I don't know where in my post I mentioned thowing a tantrum. Perhaps you're just projecting your own poor attitude? Most adults are perfectly capable of discussing difficult issues without a diatribe. Perhaps I was just raised differently since I don't think it's ever wrong to bring poor service or problem to the attention of management. Moreover, failing to do so only ensures that the problems continue and others will face the same fate. Maybe you enjoy getting the shaft and just taking it - power to ya!

But hey, that's just me trying to be real.

Old 05-21-2006, 06:45 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mark Miller
The first thing I thought of was Ferris Bueller's Day Off.
The car jumping the hump on the road.
Relax dude! I'm a professional!

Old 05-22-2006, 09:48 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by denverpete
Relax dude! I'm a professional!

Classic!

On another note....I drove out to Las Vegas for the weekend to the Palms hotel. Had to Velet as they're kept in the undergound parking garage. No dings, dents..just little dusty when I got it back.

I gave the Valet a 5 spot when I dropped it off...not sure if that helped but a little "insurance."

KRZ

Voghtland 30-50mm Coilovers
19x8.5 x 19x10 Forgline rims
Magnaflow Exhaust
KRZTACO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-22-2006, 01:56 PM   #11

I used to be a Valet in a past life

When I was in High School, I worked as a Valet at a four star restaurant. This is where I fell in love with Porsche, 911 to be exact. The sound of the air cooled 911 was so different than the rest of the bunch (500SL, XKE, Bentley, Rolls, etc). Before I knew of rent, utilities, food, insurance, etc. I figured I could buy a 911 on $400.00/week and have it paid off in no time. Boy was I wrong, but that was High School! In the four years I parked cars, I can honestly say I never did anything that was out of line.

Finally got to a place in life where I can afford a Porsche, and chose a Boxster, still love the Carrera, but for the money a Boxster is the best.

As a Past Professional High School Valet, not all Valets are bad, but not all are respectful either. So on the way in, drop 5-10 in his hand and most likely, they will take good care of you.

Mark
2001 Boxster

mwh98 is offline   Reply With Quote