Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-04-2016, 06:44 AM   #1

Road Sport Supply (RSS) Tarmac Series Lower Control Arms V. Porsche 996 GT3 LCA

Per the title, I am in seek of the forum collective to gain personal insight as to the merit of either/or lower control arms that are listed. From my limited research last night, the RSS LCA's have solid ends whereas the 996 GT3 LCA's have rubber bushings. My lower control arms are due for replacement, therefore, I want to maximize the opportunity to add adjustable lower control arms. As a frame of reference, my vehicle has KW V3 coilovers installed. My vehicle is purely a street car, but I would like to leave the option to track it at some point within the near future.

Thank you in advance for your time + efforts!

2003 Porsche Boxster S 3.2L l AASCO Lightweight Flywheel l FVD Brombacher ECU l FVD Brombacher 100 Cell Sport Catalytics l FVD Brombacher Sport Headers l GiroDisc 340mm FR Rotors l IPD Intake Plenum l Litronics l KW Variant 3 Coilovers l Porsche 997 75mm Throttle Body l Road Sport Supply Underdrive Pulley Kit l Sachs Stage 2 Racing Clutch Kit l TechArt Short Shift Kit l TechArt Power Flow Kit l TechArt Sport Exhaust.

Last edited by Cartel; 02-04-2016 at 07:35 AM.
Cartel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 07:50 AM   #2

"Solid ends".......keep in mind that the rubber bushing did serve some purpose......one of those being isolation of suspension noise.
GreggT is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:07 PM   #3

I just recently installed gt3 lca with tarret monoballs, and I didn't pick.up any significant extra noise. I don't daily drive mine though.

If I had it to do again I would probably get the elephant lca, I think they are fully rebuildable, and are about equal.in price to gt3 arms + tarret monoballs.

For a non track car I would probably just save the money and get a regular lca
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 04:09 PM   #4

Elephant also sells replacement bushings for the regular lca, but not for the ball socket end.
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 05:16 PM   #5

Garage
Why not just camber plates? Tarret and Elephant sell nice ones. You will save about $400
Van914 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2016, 06:21 PM   #6

I have the RSS LCA's on both my front and rear suspension.

Up front they serve a purpose of allowing negative camber and caster adjustment, while also providing for solid bearings at all pick-up points.

At the rear, they are not really needed for camber adjustment, but if you add up all the pieces and work to convert an OEM control arm to solid bearings, you might as well just buy the RSS one as a unit, so that's what I did.

I am very happy with mine, as I was seeking the maximum suspension performance, and I am not encumbered by any SCCA rules requiring non-metal joints.

That said, if you are not tracking or auto-crossing, they would be a waste of time and money. The solid bearings also mean greater potential shock loads if you hit a curb, and is why RSS recommends replacing the outboard studs on a regular basis, which is kind of a PITA. If you are not seeking the very last fraction of performance, then GT-3 arms with rubber bushings are probably a better idea - especially for the street.

Camber plates, as another post mentioned, will give you camber adjustment at much less cost. I believe that LCA's with shims have a slight technical advantage over camber plates, but probably no significant difference in the real world.

Good luck.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote