Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-04-2016, 05:33 PM   #1

C2 996 Inst. Cluster eeprom bin file needed.

Hello Everyone,
I'm in need of a MY02-04 996 Instrument Cluster eeprom bin file from a C2. I've got a C4 cluster, and all works except the gas gauge.

Would someone who's done the 986-996 conversion help me out and email me a C2 eeprom bin file? It would be much appreciated!

Thanks,

...Joe

jgaude is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2016, 05:53 PM   #2
inveniam viam aut faciam

How are you reading and writing the EEPROM? There are actually two EEPROMs in the '02-'04 cluster, and they are encrypted with a unique key for the processor, so you can't just transfer data from one cluster to another.

I believe the simplest way to convert the cluster would be to put it in a C2 and code it using a Autologic tool (I know that will work) or perhaps a PST-2 or PIWIS.
Old 03-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #3

So far, I've just used a regular eprom programmer. I've just changed the VIN and the 996 -> 986 designator. That works.. but I have not tried dumping a C2 bin file to it.

This is the first I've heard that the dot matrix displays have two proms! Oh boy!!!

So, I took the car to a shop with a PIWIS and tired to convert it.. and the PIWIS would not see it. This was before I was able to change the VIN and 996 designator. I thought for sure the PIWIS would do the trick.. I recoded my DME to a 996, and the cluster showed up, but when we drilled into it, it was all blank. Couldn't tell it to be a C2...

I'm kind of at a loss with this conversion.

jgaude is offline   Reply With Quote