Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-04-2016, 06:24 PM   #1

Boxster Supercharger?

I'm new to the forum and relatively new to being a Boxster owner. Mine is a 1999 and I just started having a problem with it. Won't start - then started then won't start again.

Since I have to get it worked on and I have another vehicle I can use I'm thinking I may just get it up in the air - drop the engine and do a rebuild with low compression pistions, stronger rods & crank and supercharge it. I'm not too crazy about going with a turbo but from what I've been able to find on line no one sells a supercharger kit anymore.

Does anyone here have access to information related to where I may be able to find parts I need to build my own kit? Or better yet have a kit (even used) for sale?

Thanks,
George
360-947-5175

eezz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 06:32 PM   #2
Ben-Auto-Design

You will have better results with a 3.4L swap for probably the same price!

Why not turbo? kits still exist at least
Ben-Auto-Design : Performance parts for 9X6 / 9X7
1982 928 S Euro
Ben006 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2016, 07:06 PM   #3

I think a turbo will require more space in the already limited area for the engine compartment and it will also heat up the compartment and oil more. Your idea of the bigger engine is probably the better way to go. No replacement for displacement as they say. So I guess I should also ask if anyone has a 3.4 or larger engine for sale. Thanks.

Last edited by eezz; 09-04-2016 at 07:12 PM.
Old 09-04-2016, 07:19 PM   #4
Track rat

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezz View Post
I think a turbo will require more space in the already limited area for the engine compartment and it will also heat up the compartment and oil more. Your idea of the bigger engine is probably the better way to go. No replacement for displacement as they say. So I guess I should also ask if anyone has a 3.4 or larger engine for sale. Thanks.
Yes Vision Motorsports. They did my brother's Cayman. Give Dwain a call:
Vision Motorsports
Old 09-04-2016, 08:47 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

Or eBay;

996-CARRERA-C2-3-4L-ENGINE-MOTOR-LONG-BLOCK-ASSY-IMS-REPLACED

And read this tutorial on Boxster engine swaps: Pelican Parts - Boxster Engine Swap Since your car is a '99, the 3.4L engine from a '99 996 is the easiest swap.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 09-04-2016 at 08:51 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 04:51 AM   #6

TPC had 3 kits for 986s using an Eaton blower. It still shows up on website but I Don't know that the kits are still available. Shows ~4k. They say a 3.2 output is 380hp with kit. Not clear where that number comes from, actual measured wheel or theoretical at the crank. I went with a expansion of my 3.2 to 3.6, along with a lot of new parts, exhaust intake etc. tremendous throttle response, torque and a blast to drive. It feels faster than late model boxsters but I don't actually know if thats the case. It Is lighter for sure. I did pay considerably more than any Sc or turbo kit, but my motor is pretty much as bullet proof as any m96 motor could be.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 09-05-2016, 06:12 AM   #7

For a data point, I have a friend who put a TPC supercharger on his early boxster and had a lot of problems. Sounded awesome but forced induction does find any weak points in the engine.
Deadeye is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-05-2016, 12:10 PM   #8

I may also consider parting it out and going with a newer model. I will check out this forum more to determine what kind of success others have had with parting out boxsters first before going that route. Thanks for the input everyone. Much appreciated.
Old 09-06-2016, 04:14 AM   #9

I have a Boxster with a 3.4L and a Supercharger. I am running a pretty low boost setup and making about 370@the crank. Boost maxes at around 3.4psi/3.5psi at 7200 RPM right now.

With 4 PSI Boost and a better induction setup around 390 HP is achievable. The car runs great, pulls strong and sounds great!

It's a custom setup meaning that it costed more than I expected (Dyno tuning and custom billet crankshaft pulley)
Edreamsz is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-06-2016, 05:24 AM   #10

You've no doubt seen this, but (in case not) there was a thread almost exactly 10 years back detailing how one of our regulars (back then) accomplished supercharging. Sounds like you're leaning in a different direction at this point, but it still makes for some very interesting reading:
Supercharger Installation!
Frodo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-16-2016, 10:11 PM   #11

I'm guessing the supercharger for a boxster didn't turn out to be a popular item. Probably blew up a few of them - don't know of course. I would opt for a stronger bottom end and low compression pistons to make it reliable but since a kit is no longer available I may just switch to a Miata assuming I maintain any interest in a quick good handling car - or I may just stick with sport bikes. Thanks for all the input guys.
Old 09-17-2016, 06:47 PM   #12

Is your check engine light on? If so, did you check the codes? Just a shot in the dark, but try unplugging the MAF and see if it starts.
Old 05-20-2018, 04:19 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Edreamsz View Post
I have a Boxster with a 3.4L and a Supercharger. I am running a pretty low boost setup and making about 370@the crank. Boost maxes at around 3.4psi/3.5psi at 7200 RPM right now.

With 4 PSI Boost and a better induction setup around 390 HP is achievable. The car runs great, pulls strong and sounds great!

It's a custom setup meaning that it costed more than I expected (Dyno tuning and custom billet crankshaft pulley)
Hi can you tell us/me more about your supercharge installation? Which blower etc.
Pauld4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-20-2018, 02:12 PM   #14

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by eezz View Post
I'm new to the forum and relatively new to being a Boxster owner. Mine is a 1999 and I just started having a problem with it. Won't start - then started then won't start again.

Since I have to get it worked on and I have another vehicle I can use I'm thinking I may just get it up in the air - drop the engine and do a rebuild with low compression pistions, stronger rods & crank and supercharge it. I'm not too crazy about going with a turbo but from what I've been able to find on line no one sells a supercharger kit anymore.

Does anyone here have access to information related to where I may be able to find parts I need to build my own kit? Or better yet have a kit (even used) for sale?

Thanks,
George
360-947-5175
I have the intake hose for the kit that was made in Kansas I forget the company name.