Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-30-2017, 05:05 PM   #21
inveniam viam aut faciam

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveboxster View Post
can someone tell me if the immobilizer connectors are part , of the rear engine harness and can you bypass the immoblizer all together? water damage in a inherated car.
I assume that you are now talking about a 986? Regardless, the immobilizer/alarm module wiring is part of the main body harness.

No, you cannot bypass it.

Water damaged immobilizer/alarm modules can be repaired. BTDT quite a few times now. Worst case, it can be replaced.

PM if you need info.

Old 01-30-2017, 07:53 PM   #22
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by diveboxster View Post
can someone tell me if the immobilizer connectors are part , of the rear engine harness and can you bypass the immoblizer all together? water damage in a inherated car.
The immobilizer, key fob transmitter (looks like a little pill), and ECU are all programmed as a set with a unique security code. If any one of those three components isn't working or communicating, the car won't start. If you replace any one of the three components, it has to be re-programmed to match the other two. Only a dealer or a shop with Porsche-specific diagnostic test equipment can do the re-programming (and they will likely check the VIN to make sure that the car isn't stolen). The enthusiast favorite, Durametric test cable, does not have this capability.

Used matched sets (immob, key fob, and ECU) can be found on eBay if you want to replace the entire set instead of having the immob repaired.

Remember, the whole point of the immobilizer is to keep the car from being stolen. If it could be simply bypassed, it wouldn't be a very effective security device.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-14-2017, 07:08 AM   #23
2002 Boxster S

You may have damaged an electrical component when you pulled the module without disconnecting the battery first. The connectors were a little tricky to get them back on so recheck to make sure they are seated properly and nothing bent. If you need the module tested, check with Qmulus as he fixed my module at a fraction of the cost to get a new one. See my previous thread.
Power windows not working after wet electronic immobilzer

john12312 is offline   Reply With Quote