Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-09-2006, 02:02 PM   #1

Exclamation Convertible top stuck in down position HELP!

hi all

the conv. top on my '98 is not working (currently in down position) according to porsche dealer they have to force deck lid open, which will ruin both transmissions and cause more damage just to diagnose problem. upon getting top in "service position" repairs can begin.

does anyone have info. on how to open deck lid without damage? please help!
(very crucial, info to all if boxster top is ever stuck in down position)

ps: checked fuses, brake light and brake lever all working properly.

thanks
jrdiesel01.

jrdiesel01 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:19 PM   #2

Did you pry off the right side of the dash panel, next to the AC controls and really push on the switch itself? My $21 top switch died and wouldn't function in the dash, but worked when I yanked it out and pushed really, really hard on it to get it to make contact. Try this before you take it to a dealer or a repair shop!
RandallNeighbour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 02:45 PM   #3

it could be the microswitch near the dome light (above the rear view mirror). the top motors will not work if they think the roof is latched.

use a pen to press the microswitch several times to see if the top starts to work again. i'd even go ahead and replace the switch (pretty cheap) before i started to dive in.

http://i156.photobucket.com/albums/t...1/KMTGPR-1.jpg
insite is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 03:31 PM   #4

jrdiesel01:

Sorry for your misfortune. As Insite and RandallNeighbour mentioned, try some of switches first - they can operate intermittently. Also some easy checks is the parking brake microswitch (Is the red light on when you try to raise the top) and sometimes removing the convertible top relay and re-inserting it has worked for some people.

If none of these actions work and maybe something more drastic occurred mechanically (broken drive motor, broken cable, etc.) then the clamshell can be open manually (see owners manual) by popping out ball joints on some of the thrusting rods. It is not easy (requires the right leverage) and when the clam shell is down, it requires one to locate some of the thrust arms blindly since the shell is down: However, from what I read, it shouldn't require breaking additional items to open it. Here is a reference with more information:

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=1335

If the task seems too daunting (I don't blame you if you think so) then maybe you can find a shop that can instill confidence that they can do it without breaking stuff.

Last edited by 98Boxster98; 05-09-2006 at 03:34 PM.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-09-2006, 10:35 PM   #5

down meaning closed or down meaning open? If your top is open you can unhook the tranmissions via intructions in your owners manual.

If the top is stuck in the closed position, you have a couple of options. If you can pull the clamshell up just a couple of inches, you should be able to disconnect the black ball joints on the non ball joint side. Or you can reach the ball joints from the inside, feeling with your fingers. I haven't tried the second method, and it sounds hard but doable.

I outlined the first procedure in my post on renntech.org

http://www.renntech.org/forums/index.php?showtopic=662

My situation was different because i could open one side a bit and then just pull on the other side, but after doing it i figured I could probably do it with just a couple of inches instead of the 5 or so inches i had to work with.

good luck,
Larez2

larez2 is offline   Reply With Quote