Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-22-2015, 08:33 PM   #1

Removal of bottom part of dash to gain access to the throttle position sensor assy.

Team,

I am trying to get to the throttle sensor and hence have to remove the pedal, and sensor assy. I have found good information on how to remove the pedal from the bulkhead. However in order to get to the throttle sensor I need more space to work and access.

Could anyone who has done this help? I need to understand how to remove the lower part of the dash. Is it one piece or in two pieces across the width of the vehicle? As someone suggested I could pull apart the AC duct but in the confined space it is not easy to detach the AC duct in an effort to gain space. I have the service manuals. If someone can send me the chapter and section where I can find the info it cam also help. I have looked through and could not find it.

Appreciate any and all help on this.

Before people ask - why do you need to remove throttle sensor - I will inform you guys that I am converting my 2004 Boxster to EV. I have to convert my throttle to cable throttle and need to connect a 'potbox' to the cable coming out of the left side of the pedal. To do so I have to remove the pedal and throttle sensor and adapt the potbox to the pedal assembly.

PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:07 AM   #2
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
The main dashboard is all one piece. There is a great write up on here from Meir. Have fun .

dashboard cover removal
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 04:43 AM   #3

Call me, I can walk you through it
Old 12-23-2015, 09:20 AM   #4

Great write-up, Meir!

Looks like the bottom part of the dash is not a separate piece for me to remove. All I need to do is get access to the throttle position sensor to remove it along with the gas pedal and then fit my pot box in place. Perhaps I will just remove the AC duct by removing the left air vent and that should give me the access I need.

Hopefully I never need to get into that much dis-assembly of the dash as Meir had to do...
Old 12-23-2015, 11:46 AM   #5
1999 base

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheFan5 View Post
Great write-up, Meir!

Looks like the bottom part of the dash is not a separate piece for me to remove. All I need to do is get access to the throttle position sensor to remove it along with the gas pedal and then fit my pot box in place. Perhaps I will just remove the AC duct by removing the left air vent and that should give me the access I need.

Hopefully I never need to get into that much dis-assembly of the dash as Meir had to do...
i think you will be good only removing the center (horizontal) A/C duct.
Meir is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-23-2015, 03:51 PM   #6
Porsche "Purist"

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meir View Post
i think you will be good only removing the center (horizontal) A/C duct.
+1 I have done this several times, 5 minute job.
Owned and repaired Porsches since 1974. Porsche: It's not driving, it's therapy.
Paul is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-30-2015, 02:19 PM   #7

Thanks Meir and Paul,

That's what I thought. I will try it in the weekend and post results to close this thread...

Happy Holidays and a Happy New Year to all!