Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 10-07-2015, 09:43 AM   #1

Trying to ascertain the relative position of the 986 transmission - Boxster EV proj

Folks,

As some of you are aware, I am converting my '04 Boxster to Electric. The project is going slow but progressing. At this time I have the drive train assembled and mounted using the TX mounts and the wheel hubs are connected. See pic.

I am planning to use the stock engine mount to support/mount the DC motor in the front. The next part of the project I am working on is to make the custom bracket to connect/mount the DC motor to the engine mount carrier.

To make the custom bracket I need to know the exact forward/backward and lateral position of the drive train. Note I don't have the engine there so don't know exactly where the TX should be sitting (the Tx mounts allow for small movement as per design).

I have taken pictures of the TX and TX mounts and the hub from below. Here are some questions:
  • Do the Tx mounting brackets (hydraulic triangular ones) need to be exactly perpedicular to the Tx surface exactly behind the rotating parts to the which the hubs attach?
  • Do the same need to be perpendicular to the surface of the solid brackets i.e. side sections - to which the mounts are fixed?
  • Would anyone have or can take a pic from the bottom from approx the same position so I can eyeball it?
  • Is there another way to ascertain the 3 dimensional position of the TX where it needs to be?
  • Would someone tell me the distance between the bottom part of the TX flange and the cross member (not yet fitted in the pics). I could fit the cross member and establish vertical height from that..
  • Does the center of TX need to align with the center of the engine mount? I would assume so, just confirming...

I just need to get a approx way of knowing if my TX is in proper position as the tock TX needs to be.

Appreciate any help.

Also a lot of people have asked me for updates on how my project is going. I need to get to updating my thread to keep you guys updated. I promise I will start updating that thread...:-)

Cheers.

Attached Images

Last edited by PorscheFan5; 10-07-2015 at 11:54 AM.
PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 02:01 PM   #2

looks good, top of bellhousing about 1" below/ from sheetmetal above.
check at tx mounts from below and make sure they look centered, circle inside circle.
center front mount in slots, to maximize adjustment in the future...

i was going to make a new sleeve to accept the OEM rubber front mount (circular tube) and ditch the alum mounting plate, (watch out it is not actually symmetrical, if mounted right and not cracked (in the rubber))..

good luck, my subie swap is driving (just).
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 03:03 PM   #3

I looked a bit under your profile, but could you point me to your build thread?

Very interested in this conversion if my engine ever blows.
huskyrunnr is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2015, 07:54 PM   #4

Thanks Sassmatt, I will check those out. Could you check if the TX hydraulic mounts (black brackets) are exactly perpendicular to the side sections? Also how high is the bottom of the Bellhousing from the cross member?

Huskyrunnr, I have not started putting up info on my build thread. Sorry.will start soon.
Old 10-08-2015, 09:24 AM   #5

Garage
Where will you put the batteries???
epapp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 09:58 AM   #6

epapp,

At this time my plan is to put batteries in three places.

-- 9 in the front where the gas tank was. See attached pic of the battery box that is almost ready
-- 18 each on both sides of the DC motor in the engine bay. I have to make the battery boxes once I have the drive train position locked.

Am going to use 45 of the 180 AH CALB batteries in series making it a 144V 180AH pack. Total 25.9 KWH and considering a 500A load from my 900A controller and 144V this would make a median calculation of 72KW system. I will be happy if I can get a 80 miles range...for my daily driver. Will perhaps get more.

Now back to the measurements. Need some help here, if people who have access to an open Boxster can make some measurements/pics for me, it will be great...
Attached Images

Last edited by PorscheFan5; 10-08-2015 at 10:43 AM.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:06 PM   #7

Call me this weekend. I have a 2003 base on the lift and can try and take pics/measure for you.
Old 10-08-2015, 01:45 PM   #8

Cool. Will do. ANy specific time works/or doesn't work? I am in PDT.

Thanks Woody!
Old 10-08-2015, 01:48 PM   #9
On the slippery slope

Garage
where in CA are you? I would love to see what you are doing
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-08-2015, 02:18 PM   #10

Mine has the subaru EJ2.5 4cyl transplanted into it.
So, I don't think I can really give you those measurements as my sus cross member is tube steel tied to the old front motor mount location for a motor cradle.
-I'm not sure I'm perfectly back to a "stock" orientation, so Tx mount perpendicularity is unknown...

lmao. but it drives.

bellhousing to cross is about 1.25"? but check w a stock one, that is from my development notes on positioning.
Sassmatt72 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-10-2015, 07:42 AM   #11

JayG,

I am in the San Francisco Bay area in Northern California. Sure, let me know when you are in this corner of the woods...:-)
Old 10-10-2015, 07:43 AM   #12

Woody,

Sent you a doc in email with the pics of the measurements I need. Tried calling you...

Let me know what time works for you.

Thanks again!

Last edited by PorscheFan5; 10-11-2015 at 07:15 PM.
Old 10-11-2015, 07:17 PM   #13

Thanks for your help Woody! Very kind of you.

Keep an eye out for black driver side mat...