Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-30-2006, 01:10 PM   #1

Question Help!

OK, so I had to make a quick trip down to the local autoparts store last night, to pick up a couple headlight bulbs for one of the other cars I own, it was a nice night so I took the boxster out. Well I got downtown, and got what I needed. And all of a sudden on the way back, I notice the cabin is dark. So I naturally think "crap, headlights" but they were already on. I look around the cabin, and every light that should be lit, is off. The gauge cluster was dark, the radio buttons and climate control buttons were dark, everything. The only things lit were the LED gauges displaying speed, and temp, etc. and the climate control display. Everything else was dark. But the radio still functioned, as do all the analog gauges. Turn signals work, four ways, fog lights, everything works. Except all the back lighting in the cabin. Any one have any idea why? I really need to get this fixed fast and I'd prefer not to pay the local Porsche dealership $100/hr to prod around, I already know from experience that the mechanic at the local dealership isn't the brightest bulb on the string. Any and all input is appreciated. Thanks.

wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 03:08 PM   #2

Maybe just a fuse?
socratic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 06:52 PM   #3

I'm almost positive it's not a fuse as I've gone through and checked every one, even gone as far as volt testing any one that may be involved, but to no avail. I spent all day and evening in the garage chasing this thing.
wheelman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:08 PM   #4

What model year is your Boxster? If it's an earlier model year, it might be very well the ignition switch.
98Boxster98 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2006, 07:15 PM   #5

Hi,

I suspect you may have issues involving the Electronic Immobilizer (also called the Drive Block in Porsche Parlance). It could be a bad Ignition Switch, or the electrical Connection to the Immobilizer itself, or finally, the fuse for the immobilier.

The Interior Lighting is controlled by this unit, and the Unit runs through the Ignition Switch. The Immobilizer is located under the Passenger Seat and has a separate 15 Amp fuse in the Immobilizer Unit itself.

To access, first disconnect the Battery (be sure you have your radio code if applicable). Next, you'll need to remove the Passenger Seat. Then you'll see the unit mounted to the floor. You'll need to release it from the Floor Anchor by turning the Locking Clip ¼ Turn Anti-Clockwise. Now turn the Unit over and you'll see the electrical connector and the 15 Amp Fuse. Be sure there is no corrosion on the connector and that it's good and tight. Next, run a continuity test on the Fuse, don't trust a visual only check. If these don't help, then I suspect your ignition switch may be bad (even though it still works to start the Car etc., it has several different functions, including an Induction Coil for the Immobilizer). Replacement is more difficult, even though the Part is under $30. If interested in doing this repair, PM me and I'll send you the procedure. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99

Last edited by MNBoxster; 05-01-2006 at 06:16 AM.
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote