Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-03-2016, 09:44 AM   #21
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by sepesusi63 View Post
For example most of the hydraulic lifters (or tappets) were jammed. So I needed to dismantle (not an easy task…) them and clean them properly. I hoped that I have not saved in wrong place with the hydraulic lifters??? I mean not replacing them???
All of the lifters and the lifter carrier should be replaced if you want 100% reliability - especially if there was enough debris in the oil to cause the lifters to jam up.

While it is common to clean them up/re-use and take your chances, this practice is what caused my repeat engine failure after a full rebuild when the used lifters and used lifter carrier failed within several hundred miles after the rebuild.

Best of luck with the rebuild and keep us up to date on your progress!

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:35 AM   #22
1997 Tip, 2018 Macan

Garage
Well done sir, for taking this project on. I/We look forward to learning from your experience. I have had 6 or 7 mid 60's VW engines in pieces in my lap before, but I am not sure about these engines. Please keep us in the loop, as you can.

What has been your biggest struggle/challenge so far?

How close to scrapping the car did you get? Or were you always going to fix it?

Best of Luck and of the New Year
rexcramer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 10:43 AM   #23

I can not think what could be wrong with the lifters if I have teared them in pieces (really all parts apart) and cleaned them properly with diesel oil first and then with ultrasound washer.
After that I have sinked them into motor oil. They will be stored in there until I will assembly them again.
But if there is any doubt that I should replace them, then I will do it for sure?
Additional cost will be only about 10 EUR / pc, so 240 EUR totally.
sepesusi63 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2016, 11:08 AM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by rexcramer View Post
Well done sir, for taking this project on. I/We look forward to learning from your experience. I have had 6 or 7 mid 60's VW engines in pieces in my lap before, but I am not sure about these engines. Please keep us in the loop, as you can.

What has been your biggest struggle/challenge so far?

How close to scrapping the car did you get? Or were you always going to fix it?

Best of Luck and of the New Year
Thanks for your interest and support

There has not been that difficult parts work wise (not so far), but it has been more difficult to decide in where to draw the line, meaning what parts to replace and what to use from old.

Looking for correct work shop manuals and instruction has not been that easy either.

For sure there will be some challenge when I will start to put it together again, but we take them as they come

Scrapping the car was never real option, although seriously considered
But replacement engine was a serious one.
Main reason being, that I just managed to enjoy the car for 2 months before it broke down.... (bought is end of May and it broke down beginning of August)

Honestly speaking, I have never rebuilt Porsche engine before. Motorcycle engines alone and some smalled car engines together with my father.
But they are man made machines not created by God, so common sense will take you far
Old 01-03-2016, 12:51 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
All of the lifters and the lifter carrier should be replaced if you want 100% reliability - especially if there was enough debris in the oil to cause the lifters to jam up.

While it is common to clean them up/re-use and take your chances, this practice is what caused my repeat engine failure after a full rebuild when the used lifters and used lifter carrier failed within several hundred miles after the rebuild.

Best of luck with the rebuild and keep us up to date on your progress!
I am still thinkin about the hydraulic lifters. There was no metallic particles inside when I opened them. Just old tar type of oil...

Don't know if that was the reason why they had jammed?

Read also from somewhere that there has been some type fault in the original lifters (part no 996 105 041 50) and therefore they have been replacesed with new model (part no 996.... 72).

So I am just wondering if cleaning will do the job, or if I have to seriously concider replacement???
Old 01-04-2016, 08:00 PM   #26

I just saw your tear down pics. Damn. You might be able to save the crank shaft and bearing carrier. Have it all ultrasonically cleaned and the crank checked for straightness and magnafluxed.
That IMS is garbage.

You're right, the toughest part is deciding what you can reuse.

Were any rod bearings spun or have you torn it down that far yet? Don't forget to order the tiny oil nozzles that go in the bearing carrier.
flaps10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 08:33 PM   #27

Hi sepesusi63,

first thanks for the update. Think you're right with your diagnosis - first ims failure and than failed all other things.

Hope you can get everything cleaned up. Sometimes it's hard to get all debree out of the engine. I recommend to clean everything really really careful.

Hydraulic lifters: to be honest - i would recommend to replace them all.

You didn't mention the chain tensioners in your listing. I would also recommend to replace them all.

Also i would recommend to replace piston rings and crankshaft bearing shells and inspect the cylinder liners carefully.

Because the engine and gear box is out of the Box check the 2 mass fly wheel.

Regards from Germany
Markus
Smallblock454 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2016, 10:48 PM   #28
Mig

Garage
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Can you tell us if this was the original IMS bearing which failed or was it replaced at some point?
Mig is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-05-2016, 05:11 PM   #29

Best wishes to you on getting it back together and running reliably.

Good luck.

986S
991S
Van Diemen RF97
LAP1DOUG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 12:16 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smallblock454 View Post
Hi sepesusi63,

first thanks for the update. Think you're right with your diagnosis - first ims failure and than failed all other things.

Hope you can get everything cleaned up. Sometimes it's hard to get all debree out of the engine. I recommend to clean everything really really careful.

Hydraulic lifters: to be honest - i would recommend to replace them all.

You didn't mention the chain tensioners in your listing. I would also recommend to replace them all.

Also i would recommend to replace piston rings and crankshaft bearing shells and inspect the cylinder liners carefully.

Because the engine and gear box is out of the Box check the 2 mass fly wheel.

Regards from Germany
Markus
Hi Markus,
Thanks for yoyr feedback.
Everything cleaned (2 or 3 times ) and all wearing and moving parts replaced, including piston rings, bearings, chain tensioners and also hydraulic lifters (after reconsideration), etc.
Finally got the full gasket set from UK this week. So now I can really start the assemply with full swing
Desided to try ceramic IMS bearing from Germany (FVD Online Shop - FVD10590103 - Intermediate Shaft (IMS) Repair Kit "M96.Single Row" Ceramic -). Let's how it will work, but looks great at least.
Now going back to my garage again
Old 02-06-2016, 12:23 AM   #31

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mig View Post
Sorry to hear about your loss.

Can you tell us if this was the original IMS bearing which failed or was it replaced at some point?
Hi,
Yes it was the original IMS bearing that failed.
Car has got about 118.000 km on clock.
Probably bearing has been gone already for a while, but it was only now when the main chain tensioner got cut causing the visual damage.
I bought the car only 2 months before. Last service was done at 110.353 km in Porsceh Shor in Germany, so I desided to change the oil only when I will but the car for winter storage. Well, I did not reach that point, since the engine failed by beginnming of August last year.
This is just to explain why I did not notice the "failing IMS bearing " symptoms in advance!
Old 02-06-2016, 12:27 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by flaps10 View Post
I just saw your tear down pics. Damn. You might be able to save the crank shaft and bearing carrier. Have it all ultrasonically cleaned and the crank checked for straightness and magnafluxed.
That IMS is garbage.

You're right, the toughest part is deciding what you can reuse.

Were any rod bearings spun or have you torn it down that far yet? Don't forget to order the tiny oil nozzles that go in the bearing carrier.
All of the bearings were in good condition. Same as the piston rings.
But still I desided to change them all. Just because the engine is open.