Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-26-2015, 09:35 AM   #1

oil viscosity for older vehicles

hi,
without trying to start an over discussed issue,

2002 03 model boxster 2.7 124k miles, i live in uk, -12 to +34

this car is recommended by porsche to use mobil1 0w40 but its now 13 years old and done 124k miles, does this change things??

my car sounds fine untill it reaches about 60 degrees then there is a noise on deceleration and idle, as soon as i rev past 1500 it stops.

the noise is never there when its under 60 degress when the oil is thicker so,,

does the engine just need thicker oil when hot due to engine wear?

what is the ideal viscosity for the variocam?

i think if i use 0w 60 it would stay quiet but obviously not flow as fast round the engine so would this cause the oil to overheat thus loose its viscosity and be pointless?

has anyone ducted cool air to the oil cooler?

yes ive read loads of articles, everyone has different opinions on oil, yes i know there isnt a 0w60

looking at castrol edge titanium 10w 60 or mobil 1 peak life 5w 50 ?

cheers
barks

Last edited by barks; 06-26-2015 at 10:16 AM.
barks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 11:50 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Are we being punked today? Where are the cameras? First, the guy too lazy to search and now an oil thread?

If I find a tire thread in the next 20 mins, I'll know its a setup!
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 12:19 PM   #3

yeah thats helpfull, thanks.

as my pcv and vent line to aos was blocked theres a good chance an oil passage is also restricted so im going to flush the engine hope the seals hold up and then fill up with one of the 2 mentioned oils or valvoline vr1 semi 10w60 and i wont bother posting the results as most of you are obviously up your own arses and way above any constructive help like what does the variocam prefer viscosity wise...

lastly let me appologise on behalf of all new members that may ask questions you feel beneath you to warrant a reply.
Old 06-26-2015, 12:45 PM   #4

This subject is very well covered in previous threads.
Suggest you use search term "Joe Gibbs DT40" or JGDT40.
The product is not available in U.K. but but the discussion will lead you in the right direction.
Also search for LN oil filter adapter.
The noise you mention is a potentially serious concern. Suggest further diagnosis- urgently.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 02:39 PM   #5
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by thstone View Post
Are we being punked today? Where are the cameras? First, the guy too lazy to search and now an oil thread?

If I find a tire thread in the next 20 mins, I'll know its a setup!
I feel an IMS thread about to start....
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-26-2015, 06:52 PM   #6
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by barks View Post
yeah thats helpfull, thanks.

as my pcv and vent line to aos was blocked theres a good chance an oil passage is also restricted so im going to flush the engine hope the seals hold up and then fill up with one of the 2 mentioned oils or valvoline vr1 semi 10w60 and i wont bother posting the results as most of you are obviously up your own arses and way above any constructive help like what does the variocam prefer viscosity wise...

lastly let me appologise on behalf of all new members that may ask questions you feel beneath you to warrant a reply.
Hey Barks, sorry. This is one of the best forums around and we don't want you to get the wrong impression. Hope you come back.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 12:32 AM   #7

no worries, my reply was ott , just had a metal shard removed from my cornea...

barks
Old 06-27-2015, 05:39 AM   #8

Without wanting to anger the "Go Search" alumni…..opinions about which oil is best are like noses, everyone has one. It is true that performing searches on this website will result in countless hours of reading pleasure containing vastly different opinions. In most cases, I have found responders to be extremely helpful and informative. To add my 2 cents to this thread, I have a 2000 Base 2.7 with 85K miles in which I have been using Mobil 1 10W/40 High Mileage since it had 70K miles and am pleased with the results.
Alfieg23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2015, 10:51 AM   #9

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Alfieg23 View Post
Without wanting to anger the "Go Search" alumni…..opinions about which oil is best are like noses, everyone has one. It is true that performing searches on this website will result in countless hours of reading pleasure containing vastly different opinions. In most cases, I have found responders to be extremely helpful and informative. To add my 2 cents to this thread, I have a 2000 Base 2.7 with 85K miles in which I have been using Mobil 1 10W/40 High Mileage since it had 70K miles and am pleased with the results.
I agree with what you say but why gamble & accept the advice of whoever wants to respond on that particular day & may or may not know what they are posting about.
Search & gather more info to see what the accepted best answer is. This also minimizes duplicate threads on the same subject making searches quicker & more productive.

You are using a full synthetic oil right?
Old 06-27-2015, 10:53 AM   #10

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by barks View Post
no worries, my reply was ott , just had a metal shard removed from my cornea...

barks
Been there done that, decided not to do it again!
Old 06-27-2015, 04:16 PM   #11

I use 5/40. That said, my 125k engine got a lot quieter after changing the chain tensioners
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-28-2015, 03:01 AM   #12

thanks for the replys all,

it wasnt meant to be a which oil is best thread, ive done alot of reading and i know the answer to that,

it was however, my car is quiet when under 60 degress but as it gets hotter and the oil thins there is a noise on deceleration and idle which goes when i accelerate above 1500 rpm.

so i was asking if anyone else had this and was it cured by using an oil which is thicker at higher temps, like a 50 or 60.

i also wanted to know the ideal viscosity for the variocam system as i didnt want to affect it in a negative way.

the car wasnt used much before i bought it and it had other issues which i have now fixed,
this is the last issue, looking at how blocked the pcv and vent line were it stands to reason there could be a blockage or restriction in an oil passage, or some crap stuck in the variocam ect, so i think im going to try an oil flush. then either the 5w 50 on the a40 list or the valvoline 10w 60 rt1

it that dosent cure it its prob a tensioner or chain, im going to grab a stethoscope and see if i can pin point it. however the oil cooler sitting on top of a hot engine seams a bit stupid to me...

cheers
barks
Old 06-28-2015, 10:27 AM   #13

Use 10W/40 or 10W/50. That 0 and 5 stuff doesn't take the heat so well.