Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-08-2015, 08:02 AM   #1

2000 boxster s - p1341 code - please help

Ok, so, I have 106K miles on my car. Bought it a few months back and put some new rubber on it. Changed the spark plugs and started driving it and it has been fine.

My car had been driving fine until the CEL (engine light?) light came on. The car idles a little rough at approximately 400 to 600 rpm. However, if I give it a little gas it seems to run fine at any rpm higher than idle.

I've searched the forum and read about a half dozen threads about the P1341 error code. However, from what I have read, it appears that there can be multiple reasons for this code.

IMS?
CAMSHAFT BEARING?
ELECRICAL WIRES? (some type of harness? - am I mistaken?)

Heck, I have no idea. Should I be terribly worried about this and start a listing to sell the car or is this typically something that can be fixed without being a huge expense?

How would I go about delineating the actual problem ?

Any tips for troubleshooting this error code?

On a side note, I did erase the code with a computer and it came back after about 15 minutes of driving.

PLEASE HELP!

986man2015 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 08:32 AM   #2

UPDATE!

So, I just went to scan it with my computer again. The car had codes

P1341, P0300, P0301, P0302, P0303

HOWEVER, when I started the car to scan the codes it was running like a top again idling at 800 rpm. ??? Now I'm really puzzled? But at the same time I'm thinking maybe I should be relieved.

If it was a mechanical problem such as IMS or CAMSHAFT bearing it wouldn't go back to idling perfect again, WOULD IT?

Any help sure would be appreciated. I sure do like the car and would rather repair it as opposed to having to sell it due to expensive repairs which I really cannot afford right now.
Old 07-08-2015, 09:03 AM   #3

Quick poking around the search dug up:

P1341 Camshaft Adjustment, Bank 1 – Below Limit

Potential causes:
– Short to ground
– Actuator faulty
– Open circuit in triggering wire
– Open circuit in B+ supply

P0300 Misfire Damaging to Catalytic Converter
P0301 Misfire, Cylinder 1, Damaging to Catalytic Converter
P0302 Misfire, Cylinder 2, Damaging to Catalytic Converter
P0303 Misfire, Cylinder 3, Damaging to Catalytic Converter

Bank 1 = Cylinder 1, 2, & 3, so makes sense you are seeing all four together.

Do you have a durametric? If so you can test the variocam solenoid. Inspecting the plug and wiring would be my first stop.
DMage is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-08-2015, 09:30 AM   #4

I don't have a Duromatic. I'm not even sure what it is.

So, do you think I am safe as far as bearing issues? Also, where would I look for the wiring that is bad? What part of the car should I inspect or where is the most common area that these wires get damaged? Is it a design issue? Like, are they close to a hot area or something and end up getting brittle? I really don't know where to start to look.....

Thanks againin advance for your reply!
Old 07-08-2015, 04:32 PM   #5
Certified Boxster Addict

DMage is talking about the wiring to the Bank 1 Variocam actuator.

A Durametric is Porsche-specific test software and an OBD-II cable that provides the capability to test certain subsystems and components (like the Variocam actuators) along with clear check engine lights (CEL's) from your laptop. Cost is $287 new, sometimes they can be found used in the For Sale section. A bit high priced but worth it if you're going to try to do much DIY work. http://www.durametric.com/

As DMage suggests, start by checking the Variocam wiring for continuity and disconnect/reconnect the connector to make sure that nothing came loose and that the connector is clean.

This is a good link to read and it contains a .pdf trouble shooting guide from the repair manual: P1341 error today- First check engine light in 3 years! - Rennlist Discussion Forums. You will have to sign up to see the link and trouble-shooting guide. Sign up is free.

1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor

Last edited by thstone; 07-08-2015 at 04:42 PM.
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote