Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #1

Stiff Clutch

Hello,
I'm new to this site and new to Porsche ownership!!! I bought my wife a 02 Boxster S. Last weekend her boss lent us his 2000 Boxster for the weekend and we were hooked. We hit Craigslist and test drove 6 cars and settled on this one. Two of the S's that we drove had very stiff clutches. My wife did not want to buy this one due to that alone. The action felt good and it seemed to engage at the proper point so I was not really concerned about a worn clutch plate with 83,000K. So I jumped on the chat sites and found much discussion about it. It took me three days to finally find a possible solution that I felt, made sense. One fellow said he took apart the clutch booster spring and it was broken. So I took mine apart (it is quite simple other than having to stand on your head to get at it). It sits in a housing so you can not examine it unless you take it out. Sure enough, it was broken in half and therefore was no longer assisting the clutch lever action. I just ordered one yesterday and it has to come in from Germany so 3 weeks. I suspect it is going to make all the difference. I wanted to pass this on because as I was going through many of the forums and discussions, I found that many pour chaps had done full clutch replacements attempting to solve the stiff clutch issue with no success. The part costs $93 and it takes about 15 min to install.
There are a couple other issues with the car that I hope someone has some ideas or insight for me.
After starting it, the "air bag failure" warning comes on and i have to clear it. Is this something that just has to be reset at the dealership?
There is like a squeak or rattle (not quite sure which maybe a rattly squeak) that seems to be coming from somewhere between the driver back rest and the rear wheel (suspension?) I put the top half up and couldn't find anything. Any ideas?
Sorry for being so long winded!!!
Wife's Boxster

Wife's Boxster S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 03:01 AM   #2

Garage
The rattle could possibly be the wind deflectors behind the seats if the seats are pushed too far back.

The airbag light is a really common issue that has to do with the seatbelt latches, however usually if the code is cleared the light stays away at least for a while. Since yours does not, maybe you should actually be concerned.
BIGJake111 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 06:05 AM   #3

The light stays off after I clear it and only comes on the next time I start it up. Sounds like the dealership should be aware of the problem then.
The wind deflector does have a broken bracket that I ordered as well. Not sure that it's coming from that but we'll see after I fix it.
Thank you BigJake111
Old 05-27-2015, 09:40 AM   #4
Certified Boxster Addict

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wife's Boxster S View Post
After starting it, the "air bag failure" warning comes on and i have to clear it. Is this something that just has to be reset at the dealership?
Welcome!

The air bag failure light is typically the wiring for the seat belt latch mechanism. There is a Porsche TSB for this. Cost me about $350 at my local independent repair shop.
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-27-2015, 01:12 PM   #5

Ok, I will get the guys to look it up. Do you know if it's something I can do myself thstone?
Old 05-30-2015, 04:26 PM   #6

squeak behind driver seat

Quote:
Originally Posted by BIGJake111 View Post
The rattle could possibly be the wind deflectors behind the seats if the seats are pushed too far back.

The airbag light is a really common issue that has to do with the seatbelt latches, however usually if the code is cleared the light stays away at least for a while. Since yours does not, maybe you should actually be concerned.
It was the driver's seat belt latch. Replaced it and no more warning.... After more searching on the "squeak rattle" behind the driver seat going over bumps I believe it might be the bushing on the control arm. It is certainly in the right spot. Gonna change both out and see.
Old 05-30-2015, 10:51 PM   #7

if you are looking to do your own work, it is highly recommended to get the durametric cable. for troubleshooting and resetting lights it will save you a lot of heartache and headache.
rdass623 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-31-2015, 09:08 AM   #8

Does that attach to an iPhone and you download an app?