Thread: Stiff Clutch
View Single Post
Old 05-26-2015, 10:56 PM   #1
Wife's Boxster S

Stiff Clutch

Hello,
I'm new to this site and new to Porsche ownership!!! I bought my wife a 02 Boxster S. Last weekend her boss lent us his 2000 Boxster for the weekend and we were hooked. We hit Craigslist and test drove 6 cars and settled on this one. Two of the S's that we drove had very stiff clutches. My wife did not want to buy this one due to that alone. The action felt good and it seemed to engage at the proper point so I was not really concerned about a worn clutch plate with 83,000K. So I jumped on the chat sites and found much discussion about it. It took me three days to finally find a possible solution that I felt, made sense. One fellow said he took apart the clutch booster spring and it was broken. So I took mine apart (it is quite simple other than having to stand on your head to get at it). It sits in a housing so you can not examine it unless you take it out. Sure enough, it was broken in half and therefore was no longer assisting the clutch lever action. I just ordered one yesterday and it has to come in from Germany so 3 weeks. I suspect it is going to make all the difference. I wanted to pass this on because as I was going through many of the forums and discussions, I found that many pour chaps had done full clutch replacements attempting to solve the stiff clutch issue with no success. The part costs $93 and it takes about 15 min to install.
There are a couple other issues with the car that I hope someone has some ideas or insight for me.
After starting it, the "air bag failure" warning comes on and i have to clear it. Is this something that just has to be reset at the dealership?
There is like a squeak or rattle (not quite sure which maybe a rattly squeak) that seems to be coming from somewhere between the driver back rest and the rear wheel (suspension?) I put the top half up and couldn't find anything. Any ideas?
Sorry for being so long winded!!!
Wife's Boxster
Wife's Boxster S is offline   Reply With Quote