Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-18-2015, 06:25 PM   #1

Unhappy Help me with water pump

Hi, my name is Alex, I am new on the forum, I have a 2001 Porsche Boxster S and today, after hearing a loud noise, a friend checked my car and bad news, the water pump leaked and the pump was broken, with smoke on the pulley ... So no more car, perfect

I checked with 3 mechanics and their prices: between $800 and $900...
It's too expensive, and I just changed the convertible top ($1700) so less money for the water pump would be better !!

I find this Kit on Pelican Parts ($317.25), on the top of the link
Porsche Boxster (1997-2004) - Water Pump, Thermostat & Hoses - Page 1

What do you think about it??? The rating for the parts is very good

I don't know if there is a big difference between this brand and the genuine porsche?

Is Pierburg a good brand?

Can you help me please?

Thank you very much

Last edited by Alex29; 05-18-2015 at 06:27 PM.
Alex29 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-18-2015, 08:41 PM   #2
inveniam viam aut faciam

Pierburg is a good brand, and you may find it is the same as the genuine Porsche part as I did. There was recently a discussion about this that you can find if you do a search.

Replacing the pump is an easy job, much easier than others that I have done. The problem is you likely now have pieces of the impeller in the cooling passages of the engine that can create blockages and hotspots in the engine. You really want to get all the pieces out and flush and replace the coolant. Failure to get the broken pieces out can be disastrous.

While you are there, you are definitely going to want change the serpentine belt ($25), and maybe the idler rollers as well if there are a lot of miles on the car.

Yes, all this gets expensive...

Last edited by Qmulus; 05-18-2015 at 08:43 PM.
Qmulus is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 11:46 AM   #3

[QUOTE=Qmulus;450309 The problem is you likely now have pieces of the impeller in the cooling passages of the engine that can create blockages and hotspots in the engine. You really want to get all the pieces out and flush and replace the coolant. Failure to get the broken pieces out can be disastrous./QUOTE]

You're assuming the blades were plastic or composite and that they broke off. With 'smoke on the belt' and a 'loud bang' I would guess that the bearing seized.
To the OP I would suggest using new OEM coolant unless you have evidence that it has been changed within the last year or so. Wayne, an engineer and the owner of this site and Pelican Parts, states in his book, "101 projects for your Boxster" that the additives in coolant loose their effectiveness over time and fail to lubricate and prevent corrosion within the engine and can also become magnetized causing other problems.

Last edited by woodsman; 05-19-2015 at 11:52 AM.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
inveniam viam aut faciam

[QUOTE=woodsman;450381]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus;450309 The problem is you likely now have pieces of the impeller in the cooling passages of the engine that can create blockages and hotspots in the engine. You really want to get all the pieces out and flush and replace the coolant. Failure to get the broken pieces out can be disastrous./QUOTE

You're assuming the blades were plastic or composite and that they broke off. With 'smoke on the belt' and a 'loud bang' I would guess that the bearing seized.
To the OP I would suggest using new OEM coolant unless you have evidence that it has been changed within the last year or so. Wayne, an engineer and the owner of this site and Pelican Parts, states in his book, "101 projects for your Boxster" that the additives in coolant loose their effectiveness over time and fail to lubricate and prevent corrosion within the engine and can also become magnetized causing other problems.
Well, yes, I am assuming that it was very loose before it got very tight. I have seen a couple fail like that. Perhaps he got lucky and it just seized. Fingers crossed...