View Single Post
Old 05-19-2015, 05:29 PM   #4
Qmulus
inveniam viam aut faciam

[QUOTE=woodsman;450381]
Quote:
Originally Posted by Qmulus;450309 The problem is you likely now have pieces of the impeller in the cooling passages of the engine that can create blockages and hotspots in the engine. You really want to get all the pieces out and flush and replace the coolant. Failure to get the broken pieces out can be disastrous./QUOTE

You're assuming the blades were plastic or composite and that they broke off. With 'smoke on the belt' and a 'loud bang' I would guess that the bearing seized.
To the OP I would suggest using new OEM coolant unless you have evidence that it has been changed within the last year or so. Wayne, an engineer and the owner of this site and Pelican Parts, states in his book, "101 projects for your Boxster" that the additives in coolant loose their effectiveness over time and fail to lubricate and prevent corrosion within the engine and can also become magnetized causing other problems.
Well, yes, I am assuming that it was very loose before it got very tight. I have seen a couple fail like that. Perhaps he got lucky and it just seized. Fingers crossed...