Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-22-2012, 01:18 PM   #1

Gas Tank Removal help

I am attempting to remove the gas tank from a 99 Boxster. I have the fuel drained and all the straps and connections removed. However, it does not just drop down but is being held in place by the front steering mechanism and by the fuel filler tube. Any suggestions? I would prefer to remove the filler tube but cannot get it disengaged from the tank. I would like to avoid taking apart the front end. Thanks.

ElectricRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-22-2012, 01:50 PM   #2

Afraid you do not have a lot of choices; the steering gear, coolant lines and a whole lot of other stuff have to come out before the tank does. Why are you taking it out?
Old 01-22-2012, 02:18 PM   #3

I'm starting an electric conversion project on this boxster that has a blown engine. I've taken out the coolant lines and the tank protection cover and restraining straps. Does this mean the only means to get the tank out is to remove the steering gear? Any advice on that?
Old 01-23-2012, 02:47 AM   #4

Between you, me and the fence post; I'd just leave it where it is, it does not weigh very much. Getting out is a major pain.
Old 01-23-2012, 06:56 AM   #5

fuel tank

Take a sawsall to it. Be sure fuel pump is out and all fuel is evaporated.
Old 01-23-2012, 05:42 PM   #6

Thanks all. I'm thinking of snipping off the filler tube as close to the tank as I can get it, thinking that I can then work it out. If not, then cutting it out. Is there any aftermarket for this? It seems pretty indestructable (as I would expect a fuel tank to be) so not much of a demand for a replacement!
Old 01-24-2012, 09:42 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMINMD923 View Post
Take a sawsall to it. Be sure fuel pump is out and all fuel is evaporated.

I was thinking a cutting torch. You would know almost immediately if the tank was completely empty of fumes
maj75 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-25-2012, 08:37 AM   #8

fuel tank

I have removed 3 of these. The filler tube pulls out and through the fender. Remove all the fasteners and pull.
Old 01-25-2012, 11:26 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMINMD923 View Post
I have removed 3 of these. The filler tube pulls out and through the fender. Remove all the fasteners and pull.
Thanks, that's what I've been trying. I have the filler tube disconnected from the fender up top; but how is it connected to the tank? I've tried pulling, twisting, pulling some more. And there doesn't seem to be any connecting hardware for filler/tank connection, not that I can get in there anyway. So, just keep pulling?? Or is there a special tool that would help?
Old 05-19-2015, 09:35 PM   #10

ElectricRob,

How did you end up removing the tank finally? I am embarking on a similar project with my 2004 Boxster...

John M,

Would like to solicit your comments too.

Thanks.

PorscheFan5 is offline   Reply With Quote