986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners

986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners (http://986forum.com/forums/)
-   Performance and Technical Chat (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/)
-   -   Gas Tank Removal help (http://986forum.com/forums/performance-technical-chat/33393-gas-tank-removal-help.html)

ElectricRob 01-22-2012 01:18 PM

Gas Tank Removal help

I am attempting to remove the gas tank from a 99 Boxster. I have the fuel drained and all the straps and connections removed. However, it does not just drop down but is being held in place by the front steering mechanism and by the fuel filler tube. Any suggestions? I would prefer to remove the filler tube but cannot get it disengaged from the tank. I would like to avoid taking apart the front end. Thanks.

JFP in PA 01-22-2012 01:50 PM

Afraid you do not have a lot of choices; the steering gear, coolant lines and a whole lot of other stuff have to come out before the tank does. Why are you taking it out?

ElectricRob 01-22-2012 02:18 PM

I'm starting an electric conversion project on this boxster that has a blown engine. I've taken out the coolant lines and the tank protection cover and restraining straps. Does this mean the only means to get the tank out is to remove the steering gear? Any advice on that?

JFP in PA 01-23-2012 02:47 AM

Between you, me and the fence post; I'd just leave it where it is, it does not weigh very much. Getting out is a major pain.

JMINMD923 01-23-2012 06:56 AM

fuel tank

Take a sawsall to it. Be sure fuel pump is out and all fuel is evaporated.

ElectricRob 01-23-2012 05:42 PM

Thanks all. I'm thinking of snipping off the filler tube as close to the tank as I can get it, thinking that I can then work it out. If not, then cutting it out. Is there any aftermarket for this? It seems pretty indestructable (as I would expect a fuel tank to be) so not much of a demand for a replacement!

maj75 01-24-2012 09:42 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMINMD923 (Post 275365)
Take a sawsall to it. Be sure fuel pump is out and all fuel is evaporated.

I was thinking a cutting torch. You would know almost immediately if the tank was completely empty of fumes :D

JMINMD923 01-25-2012 08:37 AM

fuel tank

I have removed 3 of these. The filler tube pulls out and through the fender. Remove all the fasteners and pull.

ElectricRob 01-25-2012 11:26 AM

Quote:

Originally Posted by JMINMD923 (Post 275633)
I have removed 3 of these. The filler tube pulls out and through the fender. Remove all the fasteners and pull.

Thanks, that's what I've been trying. I have the filler tube disconnected from the fender up top; but how is it connected to the tank? I've tried pulling, twisting, pulling some more. And there doesn't seem to be any connecting hardware for filler/tank connection, not that I can get in there anyway. So, just keep pulling?? Or is there a special tool that would help?

PorscheFan5 05-19-2015 09:35 PM

ElectricRob,

How did you end up removing the tank finally? I am embarking on a similar project with my 2004 Boxster...:)

John M,

Would like to solicit your comments too.

Thanks.