Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-06-2015, 02:42 PM   #1

AOS failing hose

I replaced the AOS for the third time about 5k miles ago and yesterday when I got underneath to replace the engine and transmission fluids, I noticed that the engine was filthy underneath with oil.

After closer examination, the AOS was kind of dirty (‘oil sweat’) and also the ribbed plastic hose that connects the AOS with the cylinder bank No. 2 was pretty oiled at its lowest point (when it passes underneath the throttle body)

My car is a ’07 with 80k miles, does this hose have a reputation of cracking and leaking?

Perhaps I should buy a replacement hose before removing the original one, because it does not look like a fun job to do it twice…

PS; It was pretty easy to removed the oil cap with the engine running, therefore the AOS should be ok (it better be after only 5-6k…

EDIT:

Just found these ones on the PET

P/N 987 107 145 00 Vent Line (top)
P/N 987 107 246 01 Vent Line bottom but only mentions Cyl 4-6, what happen to cyl No.2..?

Question, how long does these (hard plastic, accordion type) hoses usually last?

Thanks in advance

Last edited by Gilles; 05-06-2015 at 06:29 PM.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 08:51 AM   #2

Garage
I am curious as well. I am on AOS #2 in 8 months and noticed some oil on the larger accordion tube the other day when I was poking around.
Old 05-07-2015, 09:52 AM   #3

Garage
aos hose failure

I noticed an oil leak recently under the passenger side engine area. It turned out to be the bottom accordion hose had slipped off the bottom engine fitting. There was oil all around and under that area.

I replaced the bottom screw clamp with another screw clamp and tightened it down. It seems to be holding. I'm going to be watching that bottom clamp for a while. I have been battling p1128 and p1130 codes as well. I'm hoping that was one source of a vacuum leak.
rem503 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-07-2015, 10:05 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by rem503 View Post
I noticed an oil leak recently under the passenger side engine area. It turned out to be the bottom accordion hose had slipped off the bottom engine fitting. There was oil all around and under that area.

I replaced the bottom screw clamp with another screw clamp and tightened it down. It seems to be holding. I'm going to be watching that bottom clamp for a while. I have been battling p1128 and p1130 codes as well. I'm hoping that was one source of a vacuum leak.
Rem,

A few months ago, after replacing the AOS (3rd time..), I noticed that the top accordion hose had disconnected itself from the AOS and upon close inspection realized that I had damaged the internal O-ring that seals the hose to the AOS, I replaced with a similar (slightly thicker) o-ring that I found on the metric o-ring assortment box that I have.

However, two days ago I noticed that the AOS has 'oil sweat' everywhere and decided to replace both accordion hoses, which I ordered this morning from Suncoast, along with the o-ring that goes between the hose and the 2-6 cylinder bank.

The first time the AOS failed the entire engine was filthy, and now I will clean it again using engine degreaser and a LOW pressure water hose, I cannot complain because it will be the second time I clean the engine within the 7+ years of ownership...

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote