Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 05-05-2015, 09:16 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 129
Wheels.. will these fit??

I saw a set of wheels on Craigslist and wondered if they would fit my 2002 Base Boxster model. The rears look massive.

Wheels:
Front: 8Jx18H2-ET57 (Part#:997.362.136.00)
Rear: 10Jx18H2-ET58 (Part#:997.362.140.01)
Tires:
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Front: 235/40zr18
Rear: 265/40zr18

Thank you for any help, much appreciated!
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 03:23 AM   #2
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,084
Garage
Yes they would using spacers. 12mm on the front and 18mm on the back.

That's a hard to find set. On eBay they go for $2,000, how much can you get them for?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=997.362.140.01&_sacat=0
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |

Last edited by KRAM36; 05-06-2015 at 03:26 AM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 05:09 AM   #3
Registered User
 
steved0x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 3,878
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebu View Post
I saw a set of wheels on Craigslist and wondered if they would fit my 2002 Base Boxster model. The rears look massive.

Wheels:
Front: 8Jx18H2-ET57 (Part#:997.362.136.00)
Rear: 10Jx18H2-ET58 (Part#:997.362.140.01)
Tires:
Bridgestone Potenza RE050A
Front: 235/40zr18
Rear: 265/40zr18

Thank you for any help, much appreciated!
I don't have any feedback on the wheels, but be sure to check the diameter of the tires, I recently tried to fit a set of Hankook RS-3 in the following sizes: 245/40/18 and 285/35/18.

The 285/35/18 fit in the back, but the 245/40/18 were too tall and did not fit in the front because they contacted the lower spring perch on the strut.

Here is a comparison of sizes:
It looks like your front size is the stock 987 size. I have heard that it fits but I bet it is tight. My tire was .3" taller and did not fit and it was pressed on there pretty tight.

Stock 986 Boxster front - 205/50/17 - diameter 25.1" (from Miata.net tire size calculator)
Stock 987 Cayman front - 235/40-18 - diameter 25.4" (I have heard this fits on a 986 but it is tight)
This larger front size - 245/40-18 - diameter 25.7" (too tall for 986 fronts)

If it is stock 987 sizes it would probably fit, but there is nothing like the feeling of schlepping a set of wheels and tires around, and installing them and they don't fit
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:40 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 129
I've decided not to get them. After reading the feedback from the folks here. The wheels were listed in the Sacramento, Bay Area California craigslist. I believe the asking price is $950.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Yes they would using spacers. 12mm on the front and 18mm on the back.

That's a hard to find set. On eBay they go for $2,000, how much can you get them for?

http://www.ebay.com/sch/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=p3984.m570.l1313.TR0.TRC0.H0.TRS0&_nkw=997.362.140.01&_sacat=0
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 10:43 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 129
Thanks to everyone that responded. I really appreciate the knowledge in this forum. I've decided not to get them and will look for wheels that are drop in replacements. I'm just tired of the twist styled rims. I may stay with the same 17" wheel size I have now but a different style.

Quote:
Originally Posted by steved0x View Post
I don't have any feedback on the wheels, but be sure to check the diameter of the tires, I recently tried to fit a set of Hankook RS-3 in the following sizes: 245/40/18 and 285/35/18.



The 285/35/18 fit in the back, but the 245/40/18 were too tall and did not fit in the front because they contacted the lower spring perch on the strut.



Here is a comparison of sizes:

It looks like your front size is the stock 987 size. I have heard that it fits but I bet it is tight. My tire was .3" taller and did not fit and it was pressed on there pretty tight.



Stock 986 Boxster front - 205/50/17 - diameter 25.1" (from Miata.net tire size calculator)

Stock 987 Cayman front - 235/40-18 - diameter 25.4" (I have heard this fits on a 986 but it is tight)

This larger front size - 245/40-18 - diameter 25.7" (too tall for 986 fronts)



If it is stock 987 sizes it would probably fit, but there is nothing like the feeling of schlepping a set of wheels and tires around, and installing them and they don't fit
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2015, 11:06 AM   #6
Registered User
 
steved0x's Avatar
 
Join Date: Dec 2012
Location: FL
Posts: 3,878
Here's a site which lists weights for a lot of the Porsche wheels and also includes offets, widths, part numbers, and pictures for a lot of the OEM Porsche wheels:

944racing

My favorite 17" wheel is the "Boxster S" twist, I have a dinged up set of those as my track wheels. I have a set of "996 Carrera 2" in 17" as my street wheels that I repainted using the guidance from some of the threads in the DIY section. They look pretty good from 5 feet away, as you get closer you can set a spot here or there.

There are plenty of 18s that will work on the Boxster without spacers and fiddling that can get you away from the twist look, and also some 17s.

Good luck!

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 01:31 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 129
In case anybody is interested this is the craigslist link that has the wheels for sell. I have no affiliation with the seller.

http://sacramento.craigslist.org/pts/4984213873.html
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:01 PM   #8
Need For Speed
 
KRAM36's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2013
Location: Funville
Posts: 2,084
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cebu View Post
In case anybody is interested this is the craigslist link that has the wheels for sell. I have no affiliation with the seller.

2007 Porsche Boxster S - 18" Staggered Wheels
Those are not even the same wheels you were asking about.

I think you meant this listing.

Porsche wheels and tires
__________________
2003 Boxster S
| 987 Air Box | K&N Air Filter | 76mm Intake Pipe| 996 76mm TB | 997 Distribution T | Secondary Cat Delete Pipes | Borla Muffler | NHP 200 Cell Exhaust Headers |
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-08-2015, 03:02 PM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Aug 2014
Location: Northern California
Posts: 129
LOL!! Whoops!!
Cebu is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 02:58 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page