Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-14-2006, 04:47 AM   #21

Intake?

So if my idle jumps around then I need new intake?

youngboxstakid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 06:56 PM   #22

No, but you may need a new MAF sensor. Jim, I see your point...even though there may be more hot air sucked in by the EVO intake, there is more air being sucked in overall thus the power increase. As with any aftermarket company though, the power increase of 8-10 hp on the intake alone is under optimal conditions at best. On top of that the chances of CEL's and other problems increases with such a system..you concur?
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 04:34 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
No, but you may need a new MAF sensor. Jim, I see your point...even though there may be more hot air sucked in by the EVO intake, there is more air being sucked in overall thus the power increase. As with any aftermarket company though, the power increase of 8-10 hp on the intake alone is under optimal conditions at best. On top of that the chances of CEL's and other problems increases with such a system..you concur?
Yeah, the funny thing is they give you a new pipe for the MAF. If it's not almost perfect or perfect you do run the risk of a CE light, but thats the only reason it would. It seems from my other thread on this intake that lots of guys have it with no CE light. Evo claims no CE light, so if you got one I'm sure you could scan the car, proove the MAF fault and get your money back, but a lot of people chimed in saying that this wasn't the case, they have not had any problems at all.

As I was saying about moving air flow vs. on a dyno the 8-10hp could in fact be more once the car is moving because of so much fresh cold air being pumped into the engine bay through the side intake vent.

AEM is a perfect example for an intake company. They produce intakes for a lot of different cars. Some of their intake systems produce almost 20whp which was verified independantly by many guys who bought them and did back to back dyno's. If I remember correctly Titan motorsports (the Supra guys with the 1500whp 8 second supra) did an intake shoot out and measured whp gains on stock cars with a bunch of different intakes, and a few AEM's were tested and they all hit their WHP mark on the dyno. Funny thing is the cars gained more in the 1/4 mile than they would with say 15 extra hp thus showing that the intake makes more power once the car is moving from the cold air being more readily available than it is on the dyno while the car is standing still.

Here are a few examples:
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/24-6108%2002-03%20Civic%20SI.pdf - 02 Civic Si. Pretty well designed motor to start. 16.1whp and 17.7 for their cold air on the dyno.
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-672%202000%20325i%20CAS.pdf 00 BMW 325. Very nicely constructed system stock. Still gained 5.0hp and 5.2 ft/lbs.
http://www.aempower.com/pdf/dyno/21-462%202000%20MR-2%20Spider%20CAS.pdf 00 Toyota MR2 Spyder. Sort of the same as our cars layout, 8.5hp and 6.8ft/lbs

Three pretty different cars, all showed gains. The Civic is different because the stock air box is quite restrictive, and with that removed VTEC can really breathe. They make the box to keep the system quiet so people don't think there is something wrong with the car, so the intake makes it quite loud, but also makes good power. THe BMW and MR2 are both pretty well from stock and show solid gains.

So when they say a 8-10whp gain and show 11 on a dyno, thats believable on a 3.2L S model. For a lower model like my lowly 2.5L i would say a 5-6whp gain should be easily seen on a dyno, and more once moving really. The noise the car will make with a nice intake like that is also easily worth 15-20butt HP and say an additional 20envy HP.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-15-2006, 07:52 PM   #24

Well 986Jim i have to admit you SOLD ME

its actually kinda funny how i never thought about that myself about getting more HP well Driving it makes Perfect sence

im just waiting till monday to order my EVO Intake and by the way http://www.velocityfactor.com offers the EVO INTAKE for $350.00 and FREE shipping so im ordering From them

well thanks again 986 Jim and Keep On giving Great Advice!!!!
986silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2006, 11:52 PM   #25

Well i ordered The Evoms Intake from vivid racing $380.00 with shipping so ill let you no how everything works out

986silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote