Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-11-2006, 12:23 AM   #1

EVOMS INTAKE vs MSDS INTAKE

hey hows it going i have a 2000 boxster 2.7 liter im sure you already know that just making sure but i am STUCK inbetween these 2 intakes one of course is the EVOLOUTION MOTOR SPORT intake at www.evoms.com and another is this intake i found that have not yet found any POST or have never even heard anything about it its athttp://www.msdsinc.com/new_986boxter.htm there both around the same price give or take 10 bucks the BIGGEST diffrence between the two intakes IS the EVO INTAKE has a AIR BOX and the MSDS DOESN'T please post back your Suggestions or IF anyone Has one of these Intakes e-mail me at MALIBUMIKE2002@MSN.COM

p.s I HAVE A CUSTOM FITTED MAGNAFLOW EXHAUST SO IF ANYONES LOOKING FOR SOME SUGGESTIONS JUST LET ME KNOW AND ILL SEND YOU A SOUND CLIP ive searched all over for that PERFECT exhaust and took a shot with this and i AM VERY PLEASED with my RESULTS havnt Dyno'd it but I DEFFINITY feel a diffrence in power through out the RPM range!!! AND IT SOUNDS AWSOME!!!!!!!

By the way Im new to the Forum: (SO BE NICE) LoL just jokin but i att...some pics of My Boxster and My Dads Testarossa just for KICKS!!!!

Last edited by 986silverbullet; 04-11-2006 at 12:29 AM.
986silverbullet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 08:20 AM   #2

I have the Evo and I'm very happy with it. However, ever since I installed my new muffler, the sound on the muffler drowns out the sound of the intake since my new exhaust is so loud. You may want to try to de-snokel first and see if you can hear the sound. Do a search on the forum and you'll find detail instructions on how to de-snokel.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 12:24 PM   #3

Thanks nastyboxster

Hey thanks for your REPLY another question was did you FEEL a diffrence in the EVOMS Intake and another thing is DID YOU EVEN EVER HEAR of that MSDS intake and if so tell me what you think cause IT LOOKS ALOT COOLER THEN THE EVOMS but thats just my opinoin!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 12:59 PM   #4

Send a message via AIM to TriGem2k
I have seen the MSDS Intake on their website, however, i have never seen it installed. It looks like its constructed better than the EVO. I have a Power Flow intake on mine now and was looking to change it to either the EVO or MSDS, but like you have no info on the MSDS except for what is on their site.
-Side Skirts
-Gemballa Exhuast and Cats
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
--18X8.5Front 18X10 Rears
-Michilen PS Tires 225/40/18 & 285/30/18
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Pioneer Avic-F90BT Navigation
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
-Bose OEM Subwoofer & Midrange
-Audio Controld DQXS (DSP)
TriGem2k is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2006, 01:36 PM   #5

Smile

yeah Me and you are in the same BOAT!!! but hows that intake you have now cause i was also thinking about ordering that one but it seems like it Dont Do Much in power or sound but let me Know!!
Old 04-11-2006, 01:52 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by 986silverbullet
yeah Me and you are in the same BOAT!!! but hows that intake you have now cause i was also thinking about ordering that one but it seems like it Dont Do Much in power or sound but let me Know!!
The intake i have no is EXTREMELY CHEAP...I regret spending $349 for it. It made of cheap plastic piping. The end where the filter fits bends when it gets hot and allows air in which throws the MAF off and makes your engine idle jump around. Wow do i hate it, but like an idiot i sold all my stock parts for the intake and cant go back unless i buy it again. So im probably gonna shoot for the EVO just because no one has info on the MSDS and their whebsite hasnt been updated in years it looks like. Have you tried getting in cotact with them? I dont even know if they are still really around.

Let me know how you do...
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 04-11-2006, 04:00 PM   #7

trigem2k

Oh man that Sucks pretty bad Just a WASTE OF MONEY on that INTAKE'' but yes i have tryed contacting MSDS it went to there Voice mail and They Havnt Yet Returned My Phone call But Im Leaning Toward the EVO intake Just because i dont wanna be the Ginnipig But Im not 100% sure yet and i also talked to my mechanic and he said To get the one WITHOUT The Air box with IS THE MSDS He said it brings more HP and a Better sound But im just very Confused LOL but ill see what happens!!!!
Old 04-11-2006, 04:09 PM   #8

Quote:
Oh man that Sucks pretty bad Just a WASTE OF MONEY on that INTAKE'' but yes i have tryed contacting MSDS it went to there Voice mail and They Havnt Yet Returned My Phone call But Im Leaning Toward the EVO intake Just because i dont wanna be the Ginnipig But Im not 100% sure yet and i also talked to my mechanic and he said To get the one WITHOUT The Air box with IS THE MSDS He said it brings more HP and a Better sound But im just very Confused LOL but ill see what happens!!!!

Its not really an airbox, it just isolates cold air from the vent from the air inside the engine cabin...YOU WANT THE AIRBOX...HOT AIR = Less power....
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 04-11-2006, 04:14 PM   #9

so BASICALY YOUR SUGGESTING ME TO GET THE EVO intake

and another question is once i do order a EVO intake and it comes time to change my AIR filter am i going to have problems finding one to Fit or could i just slip in a K&N
Old 04-11-2006, 04:20 PM   #10

Quote:
so BASICALY YOUR SUGGESTING ME TO GET THE EVO intake

and another question is once i do order a EVO intake and it comes time to change my AIR filter am i going to have problems finding one to Fit or could i just slip in a K&N

you dont replace it, you clean it....Its supposed to be lifetime filter
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 04-11-2006, 04:21 PM   #11

heres that clip you wanted Thanks to KRZTACO......

http://media.putfile.com/gemballa-exhaust-986
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 04-12-2006, 07:47 PM   #12

Ummm..just wondering why anyone would screw with the stock intake. It is a "true" cold air intake and all the aftermarket systems out there for our car are not.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 07:54 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Ummm..just wondering why anyone would screw with the stock intake. It is a "true" cold air intake and all the aftermarket systems out there for our car are not.

well from what i hear the STOCK intake Isnt all that great and a After market one is ALOT better and gives MORE HP and BETTER sound so my reply is WHY NOT!!! but thats just my Opinion...
Old 04-12-2006, 08:06 PM   #14

Silverbullet

Yes, I can feel noticable performance gain over 4500rpm. Same power below 4500. Haven't dyno it yet, but the local Porsche club is doing a dyno day at the end of the month. I 'll post the results.

Never heard of the other brand, so I can't tell you much about it. One thing to note, the Evo is pretty hard to install. The Porsche shop quoted 2 hours to install and they actually took 5 hours. So get a firm quote if you were to get a shop to do it.

Adam, I have to agree with Silverbullet, I do feel the increase in performance and it sounds like a jet fighter when you floor the car. For $400 plus install, I think it's a nice upgrade.
Factory side skirts
18" turbo look wheels
Painted roll bars and centre console
Alumimum shifter and handbrakes
Litronic lights
B&M short shifter
Evo air intake
Turbo look bumper with C4S lip
Borla muffler
2nd Cat bypass pipes
nastyboxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-12-2006, 08:18 PM   #15

I'm sorry but I don't believe butt dynoes..no offense. There have been members on here that have actually dyoed their cars and they lost hp with the EVO system which makes sense because it is not a cold air intake like the stock system.
The shield on the EVO isn't sealed and doesn't block out all the warm engine air. You could've saved yourself $400 and just desnorkled for free....even though the stock intake sound is pretty damn loud and good.
Old 04-12-2006, 08:24 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by nastyboxster
Silverbullet

Yes, I can feel noticable performance gain over 4500rpm. Same power below 4500. Haven't dyno it yet, but the local Porsche club is doing a dyno day at the end of the month. I 'll post the results.

Never heard of the other brand, so I can't tell you much about it. One thing to note, the Evo is pretty hard to install. The Porsche shop quoted 2 hours to install and they actually took 5 hours. So get a firm quote if you were to get a shop to do it.

Adam, I have to agree with Silverbullet, I do feel the increase in performance and it sounds like a jet fighter when you floor the car. For $400 plus install, I think it's a nice upgrade.

thanks for your reply NASTYBOXSTER!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 08:34 PM   #17

Quote:
I'm sorry but I don't believe butt dynoes..no offense. There have been members on here that have actually dyoed their cars and they lost hp with the EVO system which makes sense because it is not a cold air intake like the stock system.
The shield on the EVO isn't sealed and doesn't block out all the warm engine air. You could've saved yourself $400 and just desnorkled for free....even though the stock intake sound is pretty damn loud and good.

well Dude i noticed that you are running a 2003 Boxster "S" I have a 2000 boxster NON "S" so that could be the reaon your Intake is Louder Maybe its a Diffrent Style or something cause my intake isnt very loud at all Even Before i installed my exhaust BUT IM NOT SURE!!! and i have seen those Reviews about HP lose but i also Seen MORE reviews of HP GAIN so i think im going to Stick with my desision and Order a INTAKE!!!
Old 04-12-2006, 10:10 PM   #18

Hey Adam....HOW WOULD YOU KNOW IF YOU NEVER HAD ONE BUDDY? All I ever hear from you is negative criticism to anything aftermarket.

Yea and about the the stock intake being loud??? Might want to get your ears checked on that one...
-Side Skirts
-O.Z. Racing 18" Wheels
-5mm Rear Spacers
-Porsche Door Sills
-H&R Springs
-Powerflow Intake
-B&M Short Shifter
-Focal Polyglass 165VR3
-Alpine PDX 5 Amp
Old 04-13-2006, 06:24 AM   #19

I'm not down on everything aftermarket....but Porsche spends millions of dollars each year on R&D and I think they put out a pretty good product right out of the "box." I used to be like you and Silver Bullet and think that I could get more hp with this and that and make the car better but after spending years sifting through info on this board and others I have changed my mind. Alot of people open pandoras box when they try to make the car faster/better. About the stock intake sound...it sounds louder to me than most cars, even alot of with aftermarket intakes. I attribute alot of that to the the placement of the intake right behind the drivers left which is has a particulary nice sound especially with top down. Maybe the S has a louder intake than a base....I'm not sure.
Old 04-14-2006, 04:36 AM   #20

Quote:
I'm not down on everything aftermarket....but Porsche spends millions of dollars each year on R&D and I think they put out a pretty good product right out of the "box." I used to be like you and Silver Bullet and think that I could get more hp with this and that and make the car better but after spending years sifting through info on this board and others I have changed my mind. Alot of people open pandoras box when they try to make the car faster/better. About the stock intake sound...it sounds louder to me than most cars, even alot of with aftermarket intakes. I attribute alot of that to the the placement of the intake right behind the drivers left which is has a particulary nice sound especially with top down. Maybe the S has a louder intake than a base....I'm not sure.
Unfotunately, everything your saying however is sort of true, but there's a problem. Let me explain...

When Porsche designs the intake, it has a few criteria it must meet. It needs to fit easily in to the engine bay for working on it during warranty period. It must meet the local areas decible limit for noise and it also needs to last for an extremly long period of time.

When you make a product that needs to last really long, meet sound guidelines and fit easily in the bay you end up with a stock intake such as what is on your car now. It's good and meets Porsche's needs.

Now, you take all that away, and make one only to make the most HP possible, forget about ease of fittiment, warranty or sound limits. You can make more HP with a system that is designed for only one thing. The stock air box draws air from the inlet at the side of the car, and so will an aftermarket intake. It will sit with an open filter in the bay, but that intake will fow more CFM than the stock air box will, so even with hotter air on average the fact that your pulling more air overall is where the power is made.

You have to remember on a dyno there is no air flow so measuring the power form an intake it harder on any car. I have dynoed intakes before on Honda/Acura cars for a company I do work with. The dyno would read say 8hp increase on a Type-R with an intake vs. the factory air box. They are a really well designed box but still limited by a few factors such as noise. When you take that away, you make power period.

Now with the car moving, cold air is being shoved into all kinds of nifty little places like under the hood, and through our side vent for the intake. There is not much worry about it getting the cold air needed to make more power. It's there simply from the force of the car moving through the air.

On my GTI VR6, simply removing the air box and fitting a cone filter under the hood even though it's hot under the hood air made 8whp and took the car stock from a 14.7 1/4 mile to a 14.4 in the same afternoon (fitted at the track in 10 mins) and it's drawing all hot air under the hood, (dyno test was a month later on I switched it at the dyno while seting up my nitrous kit). I took out the headlight and went 14.3 that day from the cold air going in. So yeah the cold air made more power than the hot air but the filter alone made more power than the stock air box did.

986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote