Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-15-2015, 07:09 AM   #1

Cam Deviations

Hey all. I did some searching and research so think I have it, but just want to confirm.

My Bank one shows -8.02 and is pretty stationary, no change as RPMs change
My Bank two shows -3.14 and again is stationary, no change as RPMs change

My understanding is this is an indicator that we should change out the those plastic slider guides? I know we've found a few pieces of plastic in the sump, although not too many so wasn't worried.

Is there anything else we should be looking at? IMS is original, have never had any indication of metal in the filter or sump and RMS (original) is still intact and strong.

I also thought that if there was more than a 4 degree deviation it would through a CEL, which is hasn't?

2002 Tip, 148,000 kms. 2.7L Thanks everyone.

Old 04-15-2015, 08:03 AM   #2

Garage
The max deviation is +/-6deg from the factory but I've seen them run +/-9 and not break - but according to specs your one side is out in excess of 2 degrees...
The cam sliders are fairly thin to start with and you wont see a whole lot of debris until its almost too late. I had one running at +6.2 and when I changed them out the upper of the two sliders was almost through on the chain edges.
If it breaks and the chain breaks the plastic into bigger bits and or gets caught on any metal of the cam assembly you can kiss it goodnight.
Just my thought...
H

Last edited by Heiko; 04-15-2015 at 08:08 AM.
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote