Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #1

Garage
Brake bleeding with durametric

Have bled brakes on the 08 boxster S and still have some air in the PSM/ABS system. I have the durametric to activate the system, but have not been able to find a step by step procedure for the process. Anyone have any insight into the exact procedure? thanks for any help.

mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Have bled brakes on the 08 boxster S and still have some air in the PSM/ABS system. I have the durametric to activate the system, but have not been able to find a step by step procedure for the process. Anyone have any insight into the exact procedure? thanks for any help.
Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #3

As a new owner of a Boxster S what is the downside if you bleed the brakes without activating the PSM/ABS system? I like to do maintenance items on my cars myself but don't own a duramatic diagnostic tool.
Carman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman3 View Post
As a new owner of a Boxster S what is the downside if you bleed the brakes without activating the PSM/ABS system? I like to do maintenance items on my cars myself but don't own a duramatic diagnostic tool.
As long as you have not allowed air to enter the ABS/PSM pump and control network, or have just replaced any parts there, there is no need to cycle the system with either a PIWIS or Durametric software. Most dealers do not even hook the PIWIS up to a car when doing a regular system flush.
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
As long as you have not allowed air to enter the ABS/PSM pump and control network, or have just replaced any parts there, there is no need to cycle the system with either a PIWIS or Durametric software.

JFP, just out of curiosity...

If you install a GT3 master cylinder and use a bleeder system that PUSHES the fluid from the bleeder back to the reservoir do you think that you may get away with a proper bleeding without activating the ABS/PSM pump?

Your comments are always appreciated.

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post

JFP, just out of curiosity...

If you install a GT3 master cylinder and use a bleeder system that PUSHES the fluid from the bleeder back to the reservoir do you think that you may get away with a proper bleeding without activating the ABS/PSM pump?

Your comments are always appreciated.

I have no idea as I dislike and do not use bleeders that function that way because they push the most contaminated fluid (near the caliper) backwards into the most sensitive components (ABS/PSM/master cylinder). I think Porsche may have released a technical bulletin suggesting against backward flushes.

Just out of curiosity, why are you using a GT 3 master?
Old 04-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #7

Thanks for the feedback.

My next question that I have and I should know this but don't. Does the Boxster S clutch work of a pneumatic cylinder that you should also bleed. I had a BMW a while back and when bleeding the brakes you also needed to flush the fluid from the clutch master cylinder which wasn't easy to get to working from a floor jack.
Carman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman3 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

My next question that I have and I should know this but don't. Does the Boxster S clutch work of a pneumatic cylinder that you should also bleed. I had a BMW a while back and when bleeding the brakes you also needed to flush the fluid from the clutch master cylinder which wasn't easy to get to working from a floor jack.
Yes, it shares the master cylinder's reservoir, and is located on the left rear of the engine.
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you using a GT 3 master?
JFP,

It seems to be a popular mod by the guys that track their Caymans, reporting a much firmer brake pedal.
However, I have not replaced mine (yet)...

The master cylinder for the GT3 has a larger diameter than the standard CS master cylinder. On the Cayman website (Planet9) they have the different part numbers for the masters

Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #10

Not surprised, that master is designed to work with an entirely different system than is in you car; everything, from the bias settings to the stability management and ABS function could be thrown off by this change. The master that is in your car is plenty big enough and gives a rock hard pedal with braided stainless lines and fresh fluid.