Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-29-2013, 01:56 PM   #1
Registered User
 
mountainman's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2012
Location: Little Switzerland, north carolina
Posts: 550
Garage
Brake bleeding with durametric

Have bled brakes on the 08 boxster S and still have some air in the PSM/ABS system. I have the durametric to activate the system, but have not been able to find a step by step procedure for the process. Anyone have any insight into the exact procedure? thanks for any help.
mountainman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 02:31 PM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by mountainman View Post
Have bled brakes on the 08 boxster S and still have some air in the PSM/ABS system. I have the durametric to activate the system, but have not been able to find a step by step procedure for the process. Anyone have any insight into the exact procedure? thanks for any help.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-29-2013, 04:02 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
As a new owner of a Boxster S what is the downside if you bleed the brakes without activating the PSM/ABS system? I like to do maintenance items on my cars myself but don't own a duramatic diagnostic tool.
Carman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:37 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman3 View Post
As a new owner of a Boxster S what is the downside if you bleed the brakes without activating the PSM/ABS system? I like to do maintenance items on my cars myself but don't own a duramatic diagnostic tool.
As long as you have not allowed air to enter the ABS/PSM pump and control network, or have just replaced any parts there, there is no need to cycle the system with either a PIWIS or Durametric software. Most dealers do not even hook the PIWIS up to a car when doing a regular system flush.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 10:54 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
As long as you have not allowed air to enter the ABS/PSM pump and control network, or have just replaced any parts there, there is no need to cycle the system with either a PIWIS or Durametric software.


JFP, just out of curiosity...


If you install a GT3 master cylinder and use a bleeder system that PUSHES the fluid from the bleeder back to the reservoir do you think that you may get away with a proper bleeding without activating the ABS/PSM pump?

Your comments are always appreciated.

.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 11:23 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gilles View Post


JFP, just out of curiosity...


If you install a GT3 master cylinder and use a bleeder system that PUSHES the fluid from the bleeder back to the reservoir do you think that you may get away with a proper bleeding without activating the ABS/PSM pump?

Your comments are always appreciated.

.
I have no idea as I dislike and do not use bleeders that function that way because they push the most contaminated fluid (near the caliper) backwards into the most sensitive components (ABS/PSM/master cylinder). I think Porsche may have released a technical bulletin suggesting against backward flushes.

Just out of curiosity, why are you using a GT 3 master?
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 01:37 PM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Apr 2013
Posts: 2
Thanks for the feedback.

My next question that I have and I should know this but don't. Does the Boxster S clutch work of a pneumatic cylinder that you should also bleed. I had a BMW a while back and when bleeding the brakes you also needed to flush the fluid from the clutch master cylinder which wasn't easy to get to working from a floor jack.
Carman3 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-30-2013, 02:39 PM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Carman3 View Post
Thanks for the feedback.

My next question that I have and I should know this but don't. Does the Boxster S clutch work of a pneumatic cylinder that you should also bleed. I had a BMW a while back and when bleeding the brakes you also needed to flush the fluid from the clutch master cylinder which wasn't easy to get to working from a floor jack.
Yes, it shares the master cylinder's reservoir, and is located on the left rear of the engine.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 10:59 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Orange County, CA
Posts: 1,228
Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
Just out of curiosity, why are you using a GT 3 master?
JFP,

It seems to be a popular mod by the guys that track their Caymans, reporting a much firmer brake pedal.
However, I have not replaced mine (yet)...

The master cylinder for the GT3 has a larger diameter than the standard CS master cylinder. On the Cayman website (Planet9) they have the different part numbers for the masters

.
Gilles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-01-2013, 11:37 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: Feb 2005
Location: It's a kind of magic.....
Posts: 5,101
Not surprised, that master is designed to work with an entirely different system than is in you car; everything, from the bias settings to the stability management and ABS function could be thrown off by this change. The master that is in your car is plenty big enough and gives a rock hard pedal with braided stainless lines and fresh fluid.
__________________
Anything really new is invented only in one’s youth. Later, one becomes more experienced, more famous – and more stupid.” - Albert Einstein
JFP in PA is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:31 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page