Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-09-2006, 08:57 AM   #1

Exclamation Convertible Top Not Working

I have a 99 boxter and I'm having problems with the convertible top, before I head to the dealer I would like to know if there is anything that can help with my problem.

The problem is that when I press the button to open the top nothing happens, no noises, sounds or movement of any kind, as if the buttom wasn't working...I checked the fuse and it looks ok...what can it be??? I've read on the forum about checking the relays, where I they? how do I access them? are they expensive if I need to replace them?

Thanks for your help.

FC

fcienfuegos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by fcienfuegos
I have a 99 boxter and I'm having problems with the convertible top, before I head to the dealer I would like to know if there is anything that can help with my problem.

The problem is that when I press the button to open the top nothing happens, no noises, sounds or movement of any kind, as if the buttom wasn't working...I checked the fuse and it looks ok...what can it be??? I've read on the forum about checking the relays, where I they? how do I access them? are they expensive if I need to replace them?

Thanks for your help.

FC
Hi,

There are fuses and relays, but the most likely culprit(s) is the Micro-Switch either in the Parking Brake or the Windshield Header (in the Latch Bracket). You can eliminate the Switch in the Windshield Header by getting a pencil, chop stick or similar rod, sufficient that it will insert into the slot for the Latch. Insert it and gently push and release until you see/feel the switch give, then try the Top again. For the Brake, it's a little more difficult, but sometimes holding the Button on the Handbrake and runing it up/down several times may work. If not, go on to check fuses and relays. Hope this helps...

Happy Motoring!... Jim'99
MNBoxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 09:36 AM   #3

Thanks Jim, I think that the Micro-Switch either in the Windshield Header (in the Latch Bracket) is working because the windows go down once I un-latch the bracket...Do you knows where can I find the relays? how to check them?

FC
Old 04-09-2006, 12:32 PM   #4

I don't want to assume anything, so please don't take this the wrong way - but did you have the parking brake engaged (parking brake light on)? It won't work otherwise. I know I've made that "mistake" before.

'06 Cayenne Turbo S, Beige Metallic/Tan

Ex - '99 Arctic Silver, Red Interior, Silver Top
denverpete is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 03:35 PM   #5

I just delt with this today. Top stopped working this week.

With the ignition on, pull up on the parking brake… does the “Park” light on the dash come on? If not the culprit is probably the parking brake switch. I was unable to entirely remove the center console but by removing the ashtray and the window switch panel I could see the switch. It is toward the back of the brake handle mechanisms. Luckily my problem turned out to be a loose connection. I pushed/reseated the plug into the switch and I was back in business.

The relay for the top is up under the driver side of the dash, it is a large relay box almost entirely covered with a white label, with a black arrow I think. Check to see if that relay is firmly seated.

Hope that helps.
kabel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-09-2006, 07:22 PM   #6

denverpete, the parking brake was definately engaged...I will have to chk if the BRAKE light is coming on as I did not notice, I was more concern with the top not working...

kabel, thanks for the info on the relay, I'm going to my garage and check if the brake light is turning on or not...hopefully it is something simple as your problem...

FC
Old 04-14-2006, 07:39 AM   #7

I was out of town for a few days, but I just noticed that the rake light does not tunr on, so it must be the switch that Kable described...I'll try to fix it today.

Thanks for your help.
Old 04-14-2006, 07:55 AM   #8

fcienfuego - were you at the lil thing in Ontario last weekend - parked next to a newer Vette? Asking cuz it was nice 986 with a similar like personalized plate. If so, nice car - the Porsche, of course!
Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-14-2006, 11:40 AM   #9

My brake light wasn't coming on either until I drove the car and used the hand brake to slowly come to a stop. The light then turned on and I was able to lower the roof. No problems in 4 weeks now. I don't know why it worked...but it did. Try it!
Old 04-16-2006, 04:53 PM   #10

Why is this in the performance forum?
ct_boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-16-2006, 05:07 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by ct_boxster
Why is this in the performance forum?

Who cares? This is where the post was started...so be it. There are many, many posts in the wrong "forums" on this site but nobody questions it much. Were all here to help each other...not worry about trivial problems such as the above question.
Old 04-16-2006, 06:55 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by xclusivecar
Who cares? This is where the post was started...so be it. There are many, many posts in the wrong "forums" on this site but nobody questions it much. Were all here to help each other...not worry about trivial problems such as the above question.
Just for future reference, where does one post threads of this nature? I thought this was "Performance and Technical chat".

CW
Anything that happens before or after is just waiting."
-M. Delaney (Steve McQueen, "Le Mans")
Cold Warrior is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-21-2009, 07:42 PM   #13
dbw

roof problems

Just had a roof problem today as discussed here and through the "search" function found this thread. Gives me a couple ideas for things to check out tormorrow. Had my 2004 Boxster just 2 months and there is lots to learn yet.

Thanks very much to all who posted here.
Dave
dbw is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2010, 03:30 AM   #14

Roof problem

I too have a roof problem, the handbrake is up, the gear in neutral but when I dissengage the roof latch the windows come down as normal. However when I press the switch to bring the top down..... nothing, i tapped the interior light area and it worked again, it was like this for a week or 2 until it packed in completely. Now i thought the interior light microswitch was only for the windows?? This is confusing me, can someone clarify?
Thanks Jason

J60SON is offline   Reply With Quote