Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-15-2015, 08:57 AM   #41

Garage
ok thanks. I will check to see what the Durametric tells me. Another issue is the ground wire in the steering wheel isnt grounded! I swapped 4 spoke for a 3 spoke and there was a brown wire that wasnt connected to anything. As I check around grounding seems to be important for operation of the tip tranny. I am missing the clip on the brown wire that goes to ground. anyone know where I can get one of those clips?

Old 06-15-2015, 11:32 AM   #42

Garage
I would try a dealer like Suncoast (google them) or a local dealer. Looks like you may have found the problem.
Luv2Box is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-17-2015, 11:31 AM   #43

Garage
does any one know where the brown wire in the lower left hand corner connects to?
Old 07-21-2015, 05:22 PM   #44

Garage
Wire schematic (sp)

Have you checked online for the wiring info? Good luck, I'll be following..
mcdandc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-15-2015, 11:15 PM   #45

Garage
Apparently the wire is not used.
Old 10-17-2015, 04:49 AM   #46

Does anyone have that bit of a lag or faux shift while in 2nd under mild acceleration ? I had my trans serviced and it`s fine. It doesn`t do it under high rpm.
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Xpit77 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-17-2015, 06:18 AM   #47

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xpit77 View Post
Does anyone have that bit of a lag or faux shift while in 2nd under mild acceleration ? I had my trans serviced and it`s fine. It doesn`t do it under high rpm.
Mine used to do that very occasionally. Remember the ECU for the Tip has fuzzy logic and will shift according to the way you drive the car in "D." It is the reason I don't drive in "D" anymore and use "M" so I can shift when and how I want.
Old 10-17-2015, 09:18 AM   #48
Artist, 986S tinkerer

Yes, I would get some oddness like that while puttering about town. I too have started driving almost exclusively in M mode. Since that is the way that I use it at the track, I figured I should get used to driving it this way. Now if I put it in D mode, I find it's logic quite annoying!
YouTube channel: the PORSCHE as seen by NewArt
www.youtube.com/channel/UCohdrH2xHTklM1thxk0KKOQ?
NewArt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-23-2015, 09:44 AM   #49

Quote:
Originally Posted by Luv2Box View Post
Mine used to do that very occasionally. Remember the ECU for the Tip has fuzzy logic and will shift according to the way you drive the car in "D." It is the reason I don't drive in "D" anymore and use "M" so I can shift when and how I want.
I should have wrote that it happens in M. I know I should drive it in Auto every so but ...
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Old 10-23-2015, 02:00 PM   #50

Garage
Quote:
I should have wrote that it happens in M. I know I should drive it in Auto every so but ...
In that case no I've never experienced that. Potentially sounds like an ECU issue or possibly torque convertor that still has old trans fluid in it. A lot of shops don't know the torque convertor has to pressure emptied and pressure filled so they bypass that part leaving a torque convertor full of old fluid. All that is just a SWAG.
Old 10-25-2015, 05:23 AM   #51

I have Torque Pro on my Tab. I`ll hook it up and see what graphs looks like.Trans was serviced properly so that`s not an issue. I do have aftermarket headers and CAI so maybe that may be effecting it at low RPM ?
95 Integra Solo I sold
71 Opel GT sold
Old 10-25-2015, 06:07 AM   #52

Garage
Quote:
I have Torque Pro on my Tab. I`ll hook it up and see what graphs looks like.Trans was serviced properly so that`s not an issue. I do have aftermarket headers and CAI so maybe that may be effecting it at low RPM ?
I have both headers and CAI as well and haven't experienced anything but better sound and performance.
Old 02-24-2016, 12:16 PM   #53
Motorist & Coffee Drinker

Garage
I found a couple interesting threads while I was poking around in VW land today. Thought they might be good to link here.

ZF 5HP-19FL (Our Tiptronic) Rebuild DIY - Audizine Forums, but done on a Boxster:
DIY: 5HP-19FL Valve Body Rebuild

Putting a Boxster transmission in a VW Passat. (5-spd manual, but still interesting):
VWVortex.com - VW Passat 5spd identical to Boxster 5spd?
78F350 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-27-2017, 04:53 PM   #54

Hello all !

Been reading here for quite a while but now have something to contribute.

When starting off from a stop the Tip's default is to start from 2nd gear, whether you're in Manual mode or Automatic. The "stutter" will happen all the time but is most noticed while pulling away in a casual, non-aggressive accelerating manner. You start off - then notice that it feels like it shifted but didn't shift gears. This is the torque converter locking up. No problem, normal.

It is highly recommended not to power flush the Tiptronic !! Bad things can happen. Instead, do a succession of fluid changes in a short amount of time. Each time the fluid is changed, you put in approx 4-1/2 liters of new fluid. Drive for a week to mix it up, then do another change. If you figure that after the first change you've got 50/50 old and new, a second change would make it 75/25, a third would be 87.5/12.5, etc. You don't get all the fluid out unless you take the trans and converter out of the car and disassemble.

Next, make sure you get the amber color Pentosin fluid, not the red color. After purchasing my 04 Boxster with 30k miles I took it to a highly respected independent that worked mainly on German cars. Did the IMS, RMS, AOS, plugs, oil, and trans service. They grabbed the wrong Pentosin made for the Mercedes Tip. The trans ran better and worse at the same time. I thought it was due to being low or too full, yes both are possible. When I checked the fluid level, red fluid came out! After that I changed the fluid myself even though they offered to make things right. I just didn't trust the situation and I found out it's pretty easy to do. After several changes the trans is doing great.

BTW, the IMS was in pretty good shape but the spindle had a wobble of about 1/16", so I am very glad I had it changed to the LN Engineering bearing.

Hope this info helps those that are in need.
ttocs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2017, 03:07 PM   #55

Hi. I am new to this forum.

I am actually searching for an auto transaxle gearbox for a custom project car. Its not a porsche. It will largely be my own thing once its done.

My only real concerns are torque capacity, availability and cost. I will likely use a diesel V6 with around 600nm. Can the boxster or cayman box handle this without modification? If not, can it handle it with modification?

Thanks. Rhett.

Sent from my SM-G930F using Tapatalk

rammypluge is offline   Reply With Quote