Go Back   986 Forum - for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical chat

Reply
 
LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-19-2015, 09:49 PM   #1
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
2.5 Boxster injectors

Does anyone know if the 2.5 boxster fuel injectors are the same as early 996 3.4 one's, ive two type's the boxster ones are 280150455 ive done some cross referencing and some sites list the same number for the 996.

The reason i'm asking is it is easier for me to use my 2.5 fuel rail and injectors on my 3.4 engine as the 3.4 injectors that came with the engine do not fit into the securing clips on the boxster fuel rail, there part number is 280156053

Not sure but i think the boxster injectors 280150455 are ev-1s
and the others 280156053 ev-6s

Last edited by whitecliffs; 03-19-2015 at 09:54 PM.
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 11:53 AM   #2
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 39
Last fall I installed a 996 3.4 in my 99 Boxster and asked myself the same question. The injectors on the 2.5 had the exact same part numbers of the injectors that came with the 3.4.

I wound up using the 2.5 fuel rails with the 2.5 fuel injectors and they are working fine so far. I'd suggest you do the same if you want to use the 2.5 fuel rails.
__________________
99 3.4L
soccerties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-20-2015, 02:08 PM   #3
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Thats good to know and makes life a lot easier, as didn't fancy messing about trying to get a 996 fuel rail to fit
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 07:21 AM   #4
Registered User
 
Join Date: Nov 2013
Location: Colorado
Posts: 442
Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerties View Post
Last fall I installed a 996 3.4 in my 99 Boxster and asked myself the same question. The injectors on the 2.5 had the exact same part numbers of the injectors that came with the 3.4.

I wound up using the 2.5 fuel rails with the 2.5 fuel injectors and they are working fine so far. I'd suggest you do the same if you want to use the 2.5 fuel rails.
How much work is involved in replacing your 2.5 with a 3.4?
jdlmodelt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-29-2015, 08:38 AM   #5
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2014
Location: S.California
Posts: 2,011
The early injectors were upgraded to "4 hole" -much better atomisation.
Suggest you fit an inexpensive Bosch compatible rebuild kit from EBay if the old ones test O.K. after flushing.
Gelbster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2015, 04:44 AM   #6
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: weehawken nj
Posts: 240
The 3.4 and 3.2 injectors are different than the 2.5 and 2.7.

I ran my 3.4 with a 2.7 tune and 2.7 injectors... but now that Im upgrading to a 3.4 ROW program, I bought the 3.4 injectors.
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:38 AM   #7
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by jdlmodelt View Post
How much work is involved in replacing your 2.5 with a 3.4?
I had a '99 boxster and got a '99 3.4 996 engine which made things simple. They both are cable driven throttles for one. It's a decent amount of work but fortunately it's mostly plug and play as everything just bolts right in.

Pelican Technical Article: Boxster Engine Conversion Project - 986 Boxster (1997-04) - 987 Boxster (2005-08)
__________________
99 3.4L
soccerties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-02-2015, 08:40 AM   #8
Registered User
 
Join Date: Sep 2014
Location: Denver, CO
Posts: 39
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigsmoothlee View Post
The 3.4 and 3.2 injectors are different than the 2.5 and 2.7.

I ran my 3.4 with a 2.7 tune and 2.7 injectors... but now that Im upgrading to a 3.4 ROW program, I bought the 3.4 injectors.
Do you have a 2000+ 3.4 996 engine? When they went to E throttle it's possible the injectors changed then.

My visual inspection of the injectors from my '99 2.5 engine and '99 3.4 996 engine indicated they were identical (matching part numbers).
__________________
99 3.4L
soccerties is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2015, 04:17 AM   #9
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2011
Location: weehawken nj
Posts: 240
Quote:
Originally Posted by soccerties View Post
Do you have a 2000+ 3.4 996 engine? When they went to E throttle it's possible the injectors changed then.

My visual inspection of the injectors from my '99 2.5 engine and '99 3.4 996 engine indicated they were identical (matching part numbers).
Mine is a 2000, and I converted the mechanical throttle 996 engine to fit my 2000 egas 986. Tiptronic or 996s with traction control had an electronic throttle, early or late.

More than anything, the injectors should match the software version of the ecu.
Bigsmoothlee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2015, 08:06 AM   #10
Registered User
 
Join Date: May 2012
Location: Dover,Kent,England
Posts: 78
Yes it is a later engine 2001, seems to be running ok so far with the 2.5 injectors
whitecliffs is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is On
Trackbacks are On
Pingbacks are On
Refbacks are On




All times are GMT -8. The time now is 12:53 AM.


Powered by vBulletin® Version 3.8.7
Copyright ©2000 - 2019, vBulletin Solutions, Inc.
Content Relevant URLs by vBSEO 3.6.0
Copyright 2018 Pelican Parts, LLC - Posts may be archived for display on the Pelican Parts Website -    DMCA Registered Agent Contact Page