Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-22-2015, 08:58 AM   #1

Horn does not work

Hey all. I have a 99 base Boxster and the horn doesn't work at all. Press on the steering wheel and nothing. Any ideas on where to look? Or where to start? This is my first Porsche and while I love it, it has to pass the inspection here in Ky and the horn is one of those "tests" they look at! Thanks in advance!

Old 02-22-2015, 09:45 AM   #2

Cool Horn

Have a look at the fuse first I think.
derfo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 03:59 PM   #3
Registered Boxster abuser

Very common on Boxsters. do a search. Most likely a combination of a stuck horn button and burnt out horns. of course first thing to check, if you are lucky... fuse
healthservices is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2015, 07:48 PM   #4

Had the same issue a couple of months ago. It turned out to be bad horns. They are known to go. If it is not that then the "spring" in the steering wheel needs to be replaced. If your not comfortable with fixing, take it to Stutgart Porsche off of Poplar Level. They will diagnose quickly. If you are a diy person, the horns are under the front bumper. I agree to check the fuse first. If it continues to blow, you have a deeper issue.

Last edited by fullthrottle52; 02-22-2015 at 07:52 PM.
fullthrottle52 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 04:35 PM   #5

have you already checked the fuse? you have to use a voltmeter or test light to check the horn relay on relay support.

Remove relay. Make sure you have voltage on pins 7 and 3. Then make sure you have ground on pin 2 when you press the horn.. sometimes the resistances of these horns are the usual culprits.
roma7845 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-25-2015, 05:20 PM   #6
Beginner

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Herr Oberst View Post
Hey all. I have a 99 base Boxster and the horn doesn't work at all. Press on the steering wheel and nothing. Any ideas on where to look? Or where to start? This is my first Porsche and while I love it, it has to pass the inspection here in Ky and the horn is one of those "tests" they look at! Thanks in advance!
First check the fuse

Second check the horns (very likely)

Third, check the wiring in the steering wheel (also likely)

Be sure to disconnect the battery and wait ten minutes before taking out the steering wheel airbag or you could be in for an unexpected, painful and expensive surprise!