Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-01-2015, 12:17 PM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
115k mile 2003 Boxster S Cam this and cam that parts help!

I have searched the forums with the word "cam shaft" to get an idea of what parts could be wore out and needing replacement. This has my head spinning as I run into cam deviation, new chain ramps and ext.

I have no records of any maintenance done to this car.

Can someone please list out what parts relating to the cam that would be worn and of needing replacement at this time?

Thank You!

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:29 PM   #2

Don't panic! Get the cam deviations checked first. Then, maybe panic.
woodsman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 12:42 PM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
So I order in the Durametric Diagnostic Enthusiast Kit, make sure the engine is warm before checking the cam deviation?

Wondering what other parts would/could be involved so I can go price looking.

I need the Durametric Diagnostic Enthusiast Kit anyways as I had the CEL come on.

If someone reading this is looking to sell their Durametric Diagnostic Enthusiast Kit, shoot me a pm.
Old 01-01-2015, 04:12 PM   #4

Garage
You didn't say why? This is a big topic with many causes.

The ECU compare the actual position of the cam shaft position sensor with the crank shaft sensor, to the relative position (where it should be). The difference is the cam position deviation.

The crank shaft turns the Intermediate shaft with a timing chain. The intermediate shaft turns bank 1 cams from the Intermediate shaft bearing end with a second chain, and the bank 2 cams from the more rigidly fixed oil pump end with a third chain. On the 2003 and newer each set of cams turn with one chain.

1. The IMS bearing failing can cause deviation. It could show more deviation on bank 1 than bank 2. This is because only the crank to IMS bearing displacement shows on Bank 2. While bank 1 adds displacement between the IMS and the cams and the crank and the IMS chain as the bearing deflect due to wear.

2. Chain tensioner or chain guide wear. This is likely be localize one side or the other but could be both with poor maintenance and high mileage.

3. A high deviation one bank and not the other. Cam position solenoid or intake cam adjuster
* 3.6L LN block, 06 heads, Carrillo H rods, IDP with 987 intake, Oil mods, LN IMS. * Spec II Clutch, 3.2L S Spec P-P FW. * D2 shocks, GT3 arms & and links, Spacers front and rear * Weight reduced, No carpet, AC deleted, Remote PS pump, PS pump deleted. Recaro Pole position seats, Brey crouse ext. 5 point harness, NHP sport exhaust
jsceash is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-01-2015, 05:51 PM   #5

In addition to my durametric I have an ELM327 ($10 from Amazon) and odb doctor ($10 on windows phone, also autogaugex works for $3.99) and you can check and reset cel lights and get a lot of good odbii info but not Porsche specific info like cam deviations. Durametric gives so much more but for around $20 you can check and reset codes. Get both
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-03-2015, 06:31 PM   #6
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by jsceash View Post
You didn't say why? This is a big topic with many causes.

The ECU compare the actual position of the cam shaft position sensor with the crank shaft sensor, to the relative position (where it should be). The difference is the cam position deviation.

The crank shaft turns the Intermediate shaft with a timing chain. The intermediate shaft turns bank 1 cams from the Intermediate shaft bearing end with a second chain, and the bank 2 cams from the more rigidly fixed oil pump end with a third chain. On the 2003 and newer each set of cams turn with one chain.

1. The IMS bearing failing can cause deviation. It could show more deviation on bank 1 than bank 2. This is because only the crank to IMS bearing displacement shows on Bank 2. While bank 1 adds displacement between the IMS and the cams and the crank and the IMS chain as the bearing deflect due to wear.

2. Chain tensioner or chain guide wear. This is likely be localize one side or the other but could be both with poor maintenance and high mileage.

3. A high deviation one bank and not the other. Cam position solenoid or intake cam adjuster
Nice post. Thank You!