Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 01-19-2015, 08:41 PM   #21

I have a very loud aftermarket end named Manzo in my 2004 S. High revs very sexy but in city driving quite cheap noise (friend told me). I have the original back box too with twinoval pipe. Is this original S pipe louder than those of 2.5/2.7? Im thinking about changing it maybe tonight...

biglimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-19-2015, 11:48 PM   #22

There is very little difference in noise levels between the 25/2.7 and the S models back box muffler - they all have to conform to EU/US specs.

If you want to get rid of the "cheap" sound of your aftermarket back box (muffler), install the original S muffler with cat delete (mid section) pipes. It will sound slightly louder around town and quite a bit louder above 3,500 rpm.
But I don't know how legal that would be in Finland....

Last edited by Steve Tinker; 01-19-2015 at 11:53 PM.
Steve Tinker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 02:19 PM   #23

Me again here... Is it totally useless to change only front pipes (headers?) from motor if one doesnt change those middlepipes (Cats)? Muffler is that loud Manzo...
These both come quite cheap but those damn racecatalysators are so expensive!

Sorry but Question: What are those two short wires(?) or cables in the picture? Close together. They locate down near (www.pel) text?
http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=60256 Didnt find any Random/QuickQuestion section here...

Last edited by biglimited; 01-20-2015 at 02:30 PM.
biglimited is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-20-2015, 08:32 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by RandallNeighbour View Post
This is the same mod as the Pedro Sport Exhaust from the looks of the pics...
+1 for the Fister and secondary cat deletes...a wicked sounding combo!

There is a little more than meets the eye...with the Fister so the sound is quite a bit different
Old 01-21-2015, 02:20 AM   #25
edc
550 Anniversary

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by biglimited View Post
Me again here... Is it totally useless to change only front pipes (headers?) from motor if one doesnt change those middlepipes (Cats)? Muffler is that loud Manzo...
These both come quite cheap but those damn racecatalysators are so expensive!

Sorry but Question: What are those two short wires(?) or cables in the picture? Close together. They locate down near (www.pel) text?
How to: 986 3.2S Back Box removal - How To - www.BoXa.net Didnt find any Random/QuickQuestion section here...
If you have only got one pair of cats (middlepipes) and none in the manifolds (headers/front pipes) then changing the manifolds does seem to add a bit more zip to the engine. If you are on boxa.net here's what's been done to my 2 Boxsters.

http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=59044
http://www.boxa.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=53075
Sold: 986S - Zenith Blue - 18" Sport Classics - Black Zunsport grilles - Stainless silencer and manifolds - K&N panel - shortshift - M030 suspension - 75mm throttle body - custom 83mm intake - SmartTop - custom remap - MDS underdrive pulley
edc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-21-2015, 12:26 PM   #26

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuck W. View Post
I have a stock exhaust modified by FD Motorsport. Can't be happier with it.

FD Motorsports » Fister Exhaust – Boxster
This............Can't say enough good things about Fister and FD Motorsports in general. I have purchased exhausts, full suspension set-ups and shift kits / rods made by them in house, Great Products (read No Exhaust Drone) and Mark and Darin are great people to deal with.

coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
exhaust , noise