Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-14-2014, 08:31 AM   #1
Need For Speed

Garage
Question on 3 different types of cat delete pipes

I'm looking at getting some cat delete pipes. I'm really interested in the Circuit Werks pipes because they are single pipe construction and the added mounting point. I've also looked at the Top Speed pipes.

Top Speed on eBay shows that you have to buy a set per the motor in your 986. So they have a set for the 2.7 and a set for the 3.2 motor.

2.7 motor listing Porsche 986 Boxster 2 7L 00 04 Performance Catless Pipe Test Pipe Pipes in 50mm | eBay

3.2 motor listing Porsche 986 Boxster 3 2L 00 04 Performance Catless Pipe Test Pipe Pipes in 50mm | eBay

Circuit Werks listing on eBay says their cat delete pipes work for both the 2.7/3.2 motor.

Circuit Werks Porsche Boxster 986 00 04 2 7 3 2 Test Pipe Cat Delete Testpipe TP | eBay

They also have a CEL Fix set

Circuit Werks Porsche Boxster 986 Secondary Cat Bypass Delete Decat w Cel Fix | eBay

How is it that the Circuit Werks pipes work on either 2.7/3.2 motors and the Top Speed pipes don't?

Thanks for your input on this.

KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 09:15 AM   #2

I can't speak to the difference on 2.7/3.2 pipes but I can say that I'm have been very pleased with the Top Speed cat delete pipe. Great price for decent quality. If I'd spent more for the results (a little more power and sound) the value would not be there in my opinion.
89 944 S2
78 911SC
Porsche9 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2014, 10:32 AM   #3
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porsche9 View Post
I can't speak to the difference on 2.7/3.2 pipes but I can say that I'm have been very pleased with the Top Speed cat delete pipe. Great price for decent quality. If I'd spent more for the results (a little more power and sound) the value would not be there in my opinion.
The Circuit Werks pipes look of much better quality for only $10 more.

I just want to know why Top Speed sells these per motor type and the Circuit Werks pipes work with either motor?

I don't want to buy the Circuit Werks pipes and not have them fit my 3.2 motor properly.
Old 12-14-2014, 12:57 PM   #4
Need For Speed

Garage
I sent a message to the seller about the Circuit Werks pipes and the size of the pipes. This is the reply I got back from him.

"All 2.7L and 3.2L are the same including 00-04 Boxsters. I'm not sure why their's are different. It's the same because our exhuasts fits 97-04 so are the headers. Ours was actually made for the 00-04 Boxster S. I guess maybe because some have o2 bungs and some doesn't. Ours does and also comes with a bung cap if you don't want to use it. Ours is one piece design and with the rear brackets.

I am not at the shop today, but I believe they are 2" pipings. The same as your performance or aftermarket exhaust. Thank you!

Mark at Improve Motorsports"

Also as for the price. If I had gone with the Top Speed pipes I would have bought 2 EasySeal Exhaust Clamps to minimize the drone from the Top Speed pipes. The 2 clamps would have cost an extra $28.06 including shipping. So I would actually save money going with the single piece Circuit Werks pipes vs. the Top Speed 2 piece pipe design.

Anyone interested in those EasySeal Exhaust Clamps can find them here.

http://www.verociousmotorsports.com/EasySeal-Exhaust-Clamp-Stainless-Steel

Now if I could just find someone selling the "c" pipes in T-304 Polished Stainless Steel in 2" size so I don't have to use the original more restrictive OEM 1 3/4" "c" pipes. Anyone know if these exist?

Last edited by KRAM36; 12-14-2014 at 01:36 PM.