Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 12-03-2014, 03:42 AM   #1

Water Pump replacement

Hi All,

I suspect my water pump is making a noise, I am going to replace it regardless of the condition as I assume it is the original pump (2000 S with 59 000 miles). From what I have read on this topic the OEM pump is the way to go. I have ordered one as well as a gasket and it should arrive tomorrow.

Next question is, should I use OEM coolant or is any anti freeze okay? And while we are on coolant, the system is about 10 litres right, so the antifreeze to water ratio is 50/50?? I assume distilled water is the best?

sorry for all the questions, I just want to be really well prepared. I also bought a 160 degree thermostat from L&N a while back with a removal tool. Is there anything else I should have beside the pump, gasket, thermostat and its tool?

And lastly any special tools I should have besides basic sockets, wrenches etc?

thanks in advance!

de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
sickbananas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:51 AM   #2

Garage
Use Porsche coolant; this topic has been discussed extensively.

U joint sockets (in the appropriate size) would be helpful. Again, search the forum for related threads.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:02 AM   #3

For fitting my low temperature thermostat, do I need to replace the housing? or can I use the original OEM housing? I assume I need to replace the housing gasket.
de-snorkeled, clear lights, sports exhaust, zeintec hard top, zein wing, B&M short shifter, DesignTek lowering springs, DesignTek carbon fibre strut brace front and rear, 18'' carerra 5 spokes, semi slick tyres, entire soft top delete, engine cover delete,red console,L&N deep sump, volo performance chip, raptor shift light, de-cat'ed, OEM GT3 bucket seats.
Old 12-03-2014, 04:11 AM   #4

Garage
You definitely should replace the gasket. Did the thermostat you purchased not include the housing? If so, someone else will need to address your question. When I replaced mine, the housing was included. (See Pelican)
Old 12-03-2014, 04:44 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by sickbananas View Post
For fitting my low temperature thermostat, do I need to replace the housing? or can I use the original OEM housing? I assume I need to replace the housing gasket.
There are places you can buy just the insert for the thermostat, and LN makes a tool you can use to change out the insert. Either way the thermostat housing has to come off and so you have to change the gasket.

Steve
steved0x is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-03-2014, 03:44 PM   #6
Rennzenn

Garage
I've been running Prestone Dex-Cool in my 986 for 4 years/50K+ miles. I'll be flushing and replacing with the same this year. Be sure to completely flush the system with water to get all of the original coolant out.
Old 12-03-2014, 10:22 PM   #7

thanks for all the helpful info. I bought the thermostat insert from L&N as well as a removal tool. At the time they did not have stock of the housing. I understand I have to replace the gasket, only question is will the thermostat insert fit into the oem housing? and if so why would you replace the housing unless it is damaged?
Old 12-04-2014, 03:15 PM   #8

If you have a 2000 S, the cooling system is not 10 litres but more like 22/23 litres, so you will need 12 litres (it comes in 4 litre jugs) of Porsche antifreeze to add to the distilled water.