Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 11-08-2014, 06:09 AM   #1

Hibernation

Sadly, I feel I should park my Boxster for the winter. I will probably leave it with a full tank of Chevron 91 octane unless there is a better alternative. Also, fuel stabilizer or no? I will pull it out of the garage and run it up to operating temperature once a week or so. Am I missing anything?
Thank you and love the forum!

02 S model

CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 06:49 AM   #2

Here's my winter prep routine:

Fill gas tank
Wash, dry, wax
Top treatment
Change oil and filter (and cut open filter to check for debris)
Add fuel stabilizer
Run engine long enough for oil and stabilized fuel to circulate (~5 minutes)
Check CV boots
Inflate tires to 58 psi
Leave out of gear, emerg brake off, block wheels
Block open frunk
Hook up battery maintainer
Put on cover

I don't run it at all during the winter.

Last edited by clickman; 11-08-2014 at 08:45 AM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 07:00 AM   #3

Either put some blocks under the wiper arms or remove wipers. Will prevent them from warping and save you having to buy new ones in the spring.

Would not recommend running it, unless you are actually taking it out for a good long run. Simply running an engine at idle is not good for it over the long haul.
Old 11-08-2014, 07:49 AM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
Sadly, I feel I should park my Boxster for the winter. I will probably leave it with a full tank of Chevron 91 octane unless there is a better alternative. Also, fuel stabilizer or no? I will pull it out of the garage and run it up to operating temperature once a week or so. Am I missing anything?
Thank you and love the forum!

02 S model
Before putting it away, change the oil and filter (critical), add StaBil to the tank and fill it, drive the car for about 10 min to circulate the stabilized fuel, clean the car, hook it up to a good battery maintainer (we prefer Ctek), park it and put a cover over it. Do not periodically start it unless you are going to drive the car a road speeds for 20-30 min. Starting the car and letting run is one of the worst things you can do to it.
Old 11-08-2014, 05:07 PM   #5

Ok, Stabilizer, full tank, oil and filter, run it for a while, top treatment, battery tender. I can't put a cover on it because my 4 year old daughter sits in it and makes F1 noises. It is in my warm garage though.
What kind and where to get the top treatment?

Last edited by CHRISP357; 11-08-2014 at 08:19 PM.
CHRISP357 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2014, 09:18 PM   #6

I've used Renovo and just got some Auto Glym to try this year. Raggtopp seems to be popular.

Last edited by clickman; 11-08-2014 at 09:22 PM.
clickman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2014, 02:39 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHRISP357 View Post
Ok, Stabilizer, full tank, oil and filter, run it for a while, top treatment, battery tender. I can't put a cover on it because my 4 year old daughter sits in it and makes F1 noises. It is in my warm garage though.
What kind and where to get the top treatment?
You really don't need to worry about the top if you're storing it in a garage. Change the oil, fill the tires to 50 PSI, battery tender and full tank of gas with StaBil are really all you need to bother with. Do the top in the spring before you take it out in the elements.

Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote