Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 04-19-2015, 05:28 PM   #21

Garage
That looks and sounds great, very nice

iPad Mini Dash Install
DEPO Tail Lights
BruceH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 06:07 PM   #22
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Dualist View Post
Nah it won't, I've tried that and also added a cross over on the exit too to try and get rid of the drone and it's still bad. I'm going to try something else later this year and hope that works.

Your Fabspeed exhaust looks really nice and sound epic too, I'ld love to know how it's piped up inside.
If that's a Borla exhaust I've never seen it. The Borla muffler I'm buying looks like this.

As for you're "drone" issue, have you looked at Bruce's fix?

Top Speed's Cat Back System Installation

This Borla muffler sounds good to me on a 04 Boxster S!

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-19-2015 at 06:09 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:16 PM   #23
Need For Speed

Garage
Are those NHP Headers on your car?

Also, damn your car is clean underneath.

Last edited by KRAM36; 04-19-2015 at 08:48 PM.
KRAM36 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2015, 08:43 PM   #24

Garage
Don't mean to hijack the thread but, I have a question to any long term Fabspeed owners out there. What is the life expectancy for the wire wrapped section of the pipes? I ask because I looked recently at a 2006 Base Boxster with 130,000 mi and the wire wrapped section had a hole blown out. The exhaust was installed by the previous owner, but the current owner claimed it was a trouble free car w/3 years and 70k miles with no maintenance performed........
911monty is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:13 AM   #25

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by KRAM36 View Post
Are those NHP Headers on your car?

Also, damn your car is clean underneath.

No just the stock headers for now... at least this way there is no CEL issues as the pre/post O2 sensors are kept in place in their original location; But from the flange back its all Fabspeed Thanks by the way, its not easy to keep it clean under there, but I try
Heiko is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 05:26 AM   #26

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by 911monty View Post
Don't mean to hijack the thread but, I have a question to any long term Fabspeed owners out there. What is the life expectancy for the wire wrapped section of the pipes? I ask because I looked recently at a 2006 Base Boxster with 130,000 mi and the wire wrapped section had a hole blown out. The exhaust was installed by the previous owner, but the current owner claimed it was a trouble free car w/3 years and 70k miles with no maintenance performed........
I wish i had have taken a picture before hand, but the inside of the mesh is lined with another flex pipe and its all stainless. They use the same material on many VW's, Audi's etc from the header pipe down... and yes they often break after 100K and have to be replaced - but at the same time they ease installation, reduce vibration transfer and allow some flexibility to ease stress on fixed mountpoints...
I know the VW ones generally go after about 150,000kms but they sell clamp in replacements for about $60 so its not that bad. I'm sure these wont be quite that cheap, but if they last 50,000 miles i'll be good for another 15 years
Old 04-20-2015, 05:31 AM   #27

Garage
Quote:
If that's a Borla exhaust I've never seen it. The Borla muffler I'm buying looks like this.

As for you're "drone" issue, have you looked at Bruce's fix?

Top Speed's Cat Back System Installation

This Borla muffler sounds good to me on a 04 Boxster S!

I have this same Borla system on my 2000 S, drones like a maddog! Lots of great burble and popping. HOWEVER, when I installed the Top Speed test pipes (secondary cat deletes), the volume and drone were both significantly lowered! Makes them quite livable, and I can get away with a 92db day at Laguna Seca :-)
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-20-2015, 08:33 AM   #28
Need For Speed

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Heiko View Post
No just the stock headers for now... at least this way there is no CEL issues as the pre/post O2 sensors are kept in place in their original location; But from the flange back its all Fabspeed Thanks by the way, its not easy to keep it clean under there, but I try
I was curious. I have to go with the NHP headers because I have a Tiptronic trans. They have a set with 200 cell cats and will not trigger a CEL and no modifications needed to work with a Tip trans.

Porsche Boxster 986 / S NHP 200 Cells Exhaust Headers - Maxspeed-Motorsports

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dlirium View Post
I have this same Borla system on my 2000 S, drones like a maddog! Lots of great burble and popping. HOWEVER, when I installed the Top Speed test pipes (secondary cat deletes), the volume and drone were both significantly lowered! Makes them quite livable, and I can get away with a 92db day at Laguna Seca :-)
I am going with secondary cat delete pipes from Circuit Werks. You've raced your Boxster at Laguna Seca?
Old 04-24-2015, 09:18 AM   #29

Heiko,
I sent you a PM because I want to get this same exhaust. I have a couple questions for you.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-23-2015, 12:18 PM   #30

Garage
Thought I'd post of couple of the video's of the Fabspeed from outside the car.
Very happy with what the guys at Fabspeed produce :-)
Heiko

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=nvBT6IM_Jds&feature=youtu.be
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=M2XXhbO0wkI&feature=youtu.be
Old 05-25-2015, 07:18 PM   #31
98 Arctic silver 986

Garage
Sounds Great!!
tommy583 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2015, 12:54 PM   #32

Garage
Well a quick update on my Fabspeed Exhaust.

I've been very happy with the sound and look - BUT

I've been trying to chase down a small exhaust leak which seems to be difficult as I could only hear it when the exhaust is very hot... as soon as the car sits and idles for 20sec the sound is gone (yes strange) anyhow I think I found it today (as it seems to be getting noisier now). The right side flex piece in the mid-section pipe has a leak and is turning brown and the left side is still like new

I know Fabspeed is known for their quality, so I'm a bit disappointed, but at the same time I know that these things happen. Before getting upset I have emailed Fabspeed and have asked what they can do to rectify the problem. No response yet but hopefully they will have an acceptable solution.
I've only driven approx. 1420 miles since the install so this should definitely not have happened. I will keep you posted as to what they say and or do.

Heiko

Old 12-11-2015, 04:39 AM   #33

How did this work out for you in the end? My understanding is there is a lifetime warranty on their stuff.
Pnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-17-2016, 04:29 PM   #34

Any update on how Fabspeed treated your situation?
Old 02-17-2016, 06:06 PM   #35

Fabspeed exhaust leak resolved

I bought Fabspeed's maxflow exhaust for my 04 S as well as the their headers. After installing, I noticed an exhaust leak that got louder over time. I tracked it down to where the header meets the manifold. I called Fabspeed and they said that I needed their manifold gaskets because they are thicker than the OEM gaskets, so I ordered them. I put them on and the leak was still there. And it got louder over time. Called Fabspeed back and they said to send the header back to them, and so I did. Once I took the header off, I could see the black marks where the leak was occuring. I also laid a ruler across the top of the header and noticed that there was a gap on the forward end of the gasket. I sent it off to Fabspeed and they said that it was within specs and that it should be fine with their gasket and sent it back to me. I put it back on the car and the leak was still there. I called Fabspeed back and they insisted that the header was within spec and that if I used some Thermosteel that it would seal it right up. So, I tried that and it didn't work. Same leak. I called them back and they finally gave in and told me to send the header back, for a third time, and that they would cut the flange off and put a new one on. So, 4 months after this started, I got my header back and the leak it now gone!!! I love the exhaust because it sounds fantastic and it looks cool, too; the parts that can be seen anyway.
Would I buy this exhaust again? I think so. I thought Fabspeed handled my situation nicely but I wish I didn't have to wait so long to get it resolved. I shipped them the header three times. The car is stored for the winter right now but I can't wait to get it back on the road. The last time I had the car at the dealership, to get a key reprogrammed, there were two 911s in the bay and after pulling my car in, 4 guys came over to my car because they noticed the sound of the exhaust and said, "wow, we don't hear that sound in here too often".
In a few weeks, I will put my new to me 18" Cayman S wheels on, install a Cold Air Intake, IPD plenum and 74mm Throttle Body. I am looking forward to Spring time. Below is a pic of my new GT3 projector headlights minus the corner trim pieces.
'04 Boxster S - Basalt Black, Fabspeed exhaust and sport headers, UD pulley, Pedro's Bluetooth, GT projectors, 18" Cayman S wheels, Evo cold air intake, IPD plenum, 74mm TB, Ben's SSK with ICT shifter boot, Fabspeed ECU Tune.
F18febe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-18-2016, 07:37 AM   #36

Garage
I was dealing with the General Manager at Fabspeed (Alex) who was very helpful. I shipped the mid pipes down to them and they welded in two brand new flex pieces and shipped them back to me no charge. I haven't been able to warm the car up enough to see if they leak yet as the car is stored until spring. I sure hope the leak is gone!!!
H
Old 02-18-2016, 08:30 AM   #37

Garage
Quote:

I am going with secondary cat delete pipes from Circuit Werks. You've raced your Boxster at Laguna Seca?
Lol, just saw this. yes - been on LS quite a few times with the Boxster and one time with the Pantera! Hoping to get at least 2 track days in this year at LS as well in the Boxster.
Dlirium is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 04:52 PM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18febe View Post
I bought Fabspeed's maxflow exhaust for my 04 S as well as the their headers. After installing, I noticed an exhaust leak that got louder over time. I tracked it down to where the header meets the manifold. I called Fabspeed and they said that I needed their manifold gaskets because they are thicker than the OEM gaskets, so I ordered them. I put them on and the leak was still there. And it got louder over time. Called Fabspeed back and they said to send the header back to them, and so I did. Once I took the header off, I could see the black marks where the leak was occuring. I also laid a ruler across the top of the header and noticed that there was a gap on the forward end of the gasket. I sent it off to Fabspeed and they said that it was within specs and that it should be fine with their gasket and sent it back to me. I put it back on the car and the leak was still there. I called Fabspeed back and they insisted that the header was within spec and that if I used some Thermosteel that it would seal it right up. So, I tried that and it didn't work. Same leak. I called them back and they finally gave in and told me to send the header back, for a third time, and that they would cut the flange off and put a new one on. So, 4 months after this started, I got my header back and the leak it now gone!!! I love the exhaust because it sounds fantastic and it looks cool, too; the parts that can be seen anyway.
Would I buy this exhaust again? I think so. I thought Fabspeed handled my situation nicely but I wish I didn't have to wait so long to get it resolved. I shipped them the header three times. The car is stored for the winter right now but I can't wait to get it back on the road. The last time I had the car at the dealership, to get a key reprogrammed, there were two 911s in the bay and after pulling my car in, 4 guys came over to my car because they noticed the sound of the exhaust and said, "wow, we don't hear that sound in here too often".
In a few weeks, I will put my new to me 18" Cayman S wheels on, install a Cold Air Intake, IPD plenum and 74mm Throttle Body. I am looking forward to Spring time. Below is a pic of my new GT3 projector headlights minus the corner trim pieces.

It's great to read this, I am awaiting a delivery from Fabspeed and have heard nothing but positive things about them. Prior to placing my order I spoke to John G. there, seemed like a very good guy. Will keep this post updated per my experience.
coreseller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 07:06 AM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by F18febe View Post
I thought Fabspeed handled my situation nicely but I wish I didn't have to wait so long to get it resolved. I shipped them the header three times.
Man, you are one nice guy. I was getting upset just reading your story. IMHO, they should have taken care of you the first time you sent them in. The second time was a no brainer... three times is just poor customer service. That said, I am glad it worked out for you.

2016 BMW M2, 6 Speed LBB - ED 7/2016
1997 993 Cab - Sold; 1997 993 Turbo - Sold
2001 Boxster S - Original Owner - 30K Miles -SOLD
Chuck W. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-22-2016, 02:24 PM   #40

Thanks for the feedback guys - much appreciated. Shame that the 986 has the flex piping and the 987 and on stuff doesn't. Never did understand that.

If either of you don't mind, did you buy direct from Fabspeed or use a third-party reseller? If the latter, which one?

Thx.