Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-22-2006, 08:35 AM   #21

PorscheDoc - if you are some way offended I apologize, or perhaps I am reading too much into it. The way you describe a knock sensor is only half the job for the VQ45 sensor. Intake air volume and temperature play a big part for it as well. All the chips were modding exactly as you specified - but as soon as more air started coming in, it would jump all over the ignition curve - even with new maps from such suppliers as Technosquare and Stillen. In this case, with all the extra fuel flow, it would be hard to see knocking unless you are in a high boost FI application.

We are a dealership that has been in business over 30 years, and we have been in tuning ever since previous owners son bought a new 260...tens of thousands of hours of performance work has been performed here, and all the techs that do it are master certified, and many of them race, track or strip, and sometimes both.
The mods to the knock sensor and the MAF have always been performed on cars that have already been remapped and have had extensive airflow work done on it. Perhaps you thought I was advocating it as a mod in and of itself. Not the case.
986Jim - good to see someone who has actually done it. I thought that it may be VQ45 specific. We recorded an increase of around 10% over the modded baseline on all of the Nissans we have done it to.
We only work on Nissans and Fords though, so the reason I posted here is to see if anyones has used it on a Porche.

It may or may not work, but untill someone tries,we won't know. I am waiting for LNS Motorsports, who seems to be the Porchse builders around here, to comment. I will let you guys know what goes on.
Cheers,
Turtle

Last edited by turtle; 03-22-2006 at 08:39 AM.
turtle is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:43 AM   #22

What car are you tuning a VQ45? The 350Z uses a VQ35. I've never seen Stillen tune much of anything... they usually just put their brand name on other people's products like Jim Wolf Technology.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 10:12 AM   #23

Quote:
Originally Posted by PorscheDoc
GIAC does not disable the knock sensor, or any other sensor. This is what seperates the leaders in the industry from the local laptop tuner.
I have to agree here. I've seen too many people dicking around with aftermarket ECUs that don't have any business being there. On a car like this I'd want serious professionals tuning the system, I wouldn't feel comfortable with experimenting on my own.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:22 PM   #24

Quote:
Originally Posted by Porschekid
What car are you tuning a VQ45? The 350Z uses a VQ35. I've never seen Stillen tune much of anything... they usually just put their brand name on other people's products like Jim Wolf Technology.
whoops wrong key. in case you haven't notice I am not the best typist in the world, hehe.
And you are right about Stillen, but they are a good source, and will refund in case of error. When we recommend somehting the vendor is almost as important as the product.
Old 03-22-2006, 12:48 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by turtle
986Jim - good to see someone who has actually done it. I thought that it may be VQ45 specific. We recorded an increase of around 10% over the modded baseline on all of the Nissans we have done it to.
We only work on Nissans and Fords though, so the reason I posted here is to see if anyones has used it on a Porche.
Were in the neighbourhood of ~300whp N/A and working with a 150whp shot nitrous from an NX kit. At 2500lbs race weight cut/lexan were looking for 12's flat @ around 115-116mph and 11.5's or so at 120ish mph with the nitrous. We'll see how it goes. This is transplanted in an older 95 Maxima

The VQ35 with the knock sensor disabled was able to take a 200hp shot of nitrous on a fully stock motor. It pulled the 03 Maxima to 12.1 @ 116mph as a best time and it survived that shot for many passes. We were mostly worried about the tranny but nothing ever happened. With the knock sensor working it lost a lot of time as it always pulled timing. Fart in the car lose 10 deg timing, it was brutal.

If your interested here is a vid of me and him running... (my talon vs. dad's maxima)
http://www.etdracing.com/jim/jimjr_vs_jimsr.wmv Times are a little outta date, but whatever.
I'm 29 dads 58 and were still both act 17, interesting pair we are...
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 03:41 PM   #26

Turtle: I am not offended in any way, I know on the internet it is hard to deduce a person's attitude vs. standing talking to them face to face Like I said before, I am no tuner (porschephd on the other hand has more experience than most out there), but I know enough to be dangerous, and I think that disabling any sensor through the ECU to get an engine to do what you want it to is a poor method. Stephen does a ton of tuning with Motronic, Autronic, and Motec and I know he doesn't disable anything when tuning. We also are a GIAC dealer, and work extensively with Garrett at GIAC, and know how they tune. I have also seen my share of tuning that has been far from desirable.

Karl
Old 03-22-2006, 04:26 PM   #27

"I have also seen my share of tuning that has been far from desirable. "

That is a BIG 10-4!

Brucelee is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 06:58 PM   #28

Nice vid Jim!! Was the tire sqeeling at the end of the track the Maxima hitting the nitrous?

As far as the Giac thing goes, I've heard good and bad things about them. A member on here named Clubhead sent his ECU in to be flashed/tweeked not once but twice and he was losing power so I'm a bit skeptical. Plus, he said the customer service and support were far from great. Clubhead....care to chime in?

Last edited by Adam; 03-22-2006 at 07:00 PM.
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:40 PM   #29

nice runs 986jim! it's good to see folks having fun. Are those still your project cars? I will have to get our runs out - we are lucky here because we are smack between Bristol (track and drag) and miles and miles of empty mountain roads on your way to the Dragon - over 100 turns in something stupid like 9 miles(like driving it, never counted).

I just run with my 350Z, all natural induction...mostly nismo(suspension as well) with our own map, afore mentioned MAF and knock sensor mods, and LeBrea long tube headers.
We don't do much FI - our Service Director won't do it unless the customer buys it all - the crank, the pushrods, LC pistons, cams, fuel pumps, heat sinks and bigger oil pan, seals, etc....not to mention the kit itself. Most people with that cash in the Nissan market are just waiting for the Skyline in 07.

My car is pretty fast, hard in the turns, in short, lots of fun...small money. Next up are brakes. I get rotors/pads and labor so cheap that the upgrade has been hard for me.

PorscheDoc
Thanks. I don't know anything about Porsche in a real sense, and this whole thing has been a surprise for me. When Sheila got her Boxster, I knew it's rep for handling, underwhelming power and iffy reliabilty.
Then I drove it. I have a good car - it outperforms the boxter in many areas - but the drive was just perfect. Feedback was there, handling, while my Z is all over it, is just more fun and EASY. Everything felt natural.
Then I looked at it for real, the S has beefed up brakes AND a bigger tranny. That was better than the bigger engine to me. I dont know about you guys, but for me buying wheels, brakes and soon a tranny swap irritates me when all I want to do is go faster. The S has all that, now it just needs 40 to 60 more...so much less to do!

Adam

That is the sort of thing I don't like - but then, I am in the car business of a different sort, and I know that sometimes, it just happens...so please, any info is appreciated. The more the know, the better we are, As I said, I will baseline the car, then post all results with each mod.
Old 03-23-2006, 05:01 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by Adam
Nice vid Jim!! Was the tire sqeeling at the end of the track the Maxima hitting the nitrous?
haha, no put your fast and furious video away. Just kidding..

The Maxima sprays nitrous right out of the hole and for the whole way down the track, thats how it went 12.3 in that video. As soon as the tires move, the nitrous is spraying.

The squeeling you heard were the next pair doing their burn outs while we were finishing up. As soon as your part way down the track the next guy is warming up the tires, as you cross the line they are lining up and when you pull to the return road, they leave the line, it's pretty quick how they pump the cars through. They have to tho cause it's usually busy... The video camera's microphone picks up the noise cause it's part way down the track in the stands, thats all.

Quote:
nice runs 986jim! it's good to see folks having fun. Are those still your project cars? I will have to get our runs out - we are lucky here because we are smack between Bristol (track and drag) and miles and miles of empty mountain roads on your way to the Dragon - over 100 turns in something stupid like 9 miles(like driving it, never counted).
Yeah were still tinkering with those projects here and there. I have heard of the dragon and see video but never driven it. I have heard that it's a killer drive tho, wish I could make it out that way one day with the box.
986Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 07:43 PM   #31

Quote:
Adam

That is the sort of thing I don't like - but then, I am in the car business of a different sort, and I know that sometimes, it just happens...so please, any info is appreciated. The more the know, the better we are, As I said, I will baseline the car, then post all results with each mod.
Here are Clubheads threads on his GIAC experience....
Recommendation for GIAC Dealer
Thoughts on aftermarket air filter kits...

Jim...lol...you are so right...I know jack about nitrous. The fast and the furious came to mind
Adam is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-23-2006, 09:27 PM   #32

Seems he went through everything I was asking. However, I find his results for money spent OK. If he wanted more, it's time for cams, and if such a thing exists for the boxster S, perhaps different injectors.