Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 07-09-2013, 09:33 AM   #1

Oil & Filter recommendation 2005 Boxster S

I am in need of doing the 1st oil change on my 2005 Boxster S since I have owned it. It has approx. 12K on it and I would like to get some oil & filter recommendations. I always used Mann filters on my other German cars and always had good luck.
Thanks in advance !

sierramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 09:46 AM   #2
Certified Boxster Addict

Another oil thread? Let the games begin...
1997 Spec Boxster BSR #254
1979 911 SC
POC Licensed DE/TT Instructor
thstone is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:09 PM   #3

Garage
Who wants popcorn?
Bryan topping is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 04:16 PM   #4

Let me just end this here. 0-50 sucks for your climate. 5-50 in whatever your favorite synthetic oil is perfect. I like castrol. Really do whatever you are happy with. It is just a motor like any other car. Please believe me and save your self some stress and time. If you disagree with me please just link him to a oil thread and let him decide.
Ebay Headers, Fabspeed high flow cats, JIC Cross, IPD Plenum, H&R Coilovers, B&M Short Shifter, AEM Uego Gauge Type Analog, Apexi S-AFC Select, 987 air box, Litronics, 2000 Tails and side markers, painted center console, 18" 987 S-Wheels, GT3 Front bumper with splitter.
JAAY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:14 PM   #5

Garage
I would rather use 5-50/10-50 rather than 0-50 for Californian summer climate. Mann, Hengst, Bosch, etc. are all good brands and should do well. If you are even unsure, you can go to the dealership's parts counter and get an OEM one. I have used the Hengst one and am pleased.
Kenny Boxster is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-09-2013, 06:51 PM   #6

I used the Hengst oil filter as well and just like my dealer use Mobil 1 European Blend 10~40. You can get the oil in 5 gallon jugs at Walmart for about $22. Only real difference is it cost me less than $70 to do it myself vs. $285 at the dealer. Although the dealer did wash my car (nice job too by the way).
Old 07-09-2013, 08:37 PM   #7

My advice is change oil more frequently than every 12K. I believe doing so is far more important than using the 'perfect' oil. Just pick a good brand filter and a good brand oil in one of the weights suggested by other posters.

If you you want my number, change oil every 5K or every year whichever interval is shorter.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-10-2013, 03:01 AM   #8

Porsche OEM filters. Buy in bulk from Sunset Porsche. Joe Gibbs DT40 5W40 oil. Done.

Last edited by Flavor 987S; 07-10-2013 at 03:10 AM.
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:14 AM   #9

I need to clarify that this isn't the first oil change the car has ever had, it will be the first one since I have owned it. I purchased the car with approx. 8500K and I know it was changed just prior to my purchase.

Joe Gibbs oil.....Really ? Is that what You use ?

I appreciate the input so far and didn't mean to stir things up, I know oil can be a touchy topic !
sierramoto is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:21 AM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by sierramoto View Post
Joe Gibbs oil.....Really ? Is that what You use ?

I appreciate the input so far and didn't mean to stir things up, I know oil can be a touchy topic !
Yes. I am using this now based on Jake Raby and Charles Navarro's recommendation. I don't know much about Porsches, but I do know a lot of smart people who know a lot about Porsches.

I have also very successfully used Red Line 5W40 and Mobil 5W50. Both have yielded excellent Used Oil Analysis (Blackstone).
Flavor 987S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 07:31 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flavor 987S View Post

I have also very successfully used Red Line 5W40 .............. have yielded excellent Used Oil Analysis (Blackstone).
Me too.

I'd be interested in hearing about how well the Joe Gibbs oil performed when the time comes. I changed my oil a couple of weeks ago and used Redline 0W-40 this time.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 02:27 PM   #12

+1 on Joe Gibbs DT40 5W40 oil. Yes, really!
Joe B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-11-2013, 06:21 PM   #13

Garage
Motul 5w40 for the Dangermobile, Oil of Olay for me.
Old 07-15-2013, 07:57 AM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by Johnny Danger View Post
Motul 5w40 for the Dangermobile, Oil of Olay for me.
JD,

I used Motul 5W-40 in the past for 3 oil changes and it performed well (good UOAs) but I had a lot of startup noise in the valvetrain, and that's why I went to Redline.

I tried Oil of Olay on my skin but after having it tested, I found out that its viscosity, flashpoint, and insolubles were way out of whack -- I attribute that to additive clash between the OoO and my natural Goombah oily skin! I'm getting better results with the La Mer product line -- at least the ZDDP levels are respectable.

Regards,
paul...
paulv is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-15-2013, 11:04 AM   #15

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by paulv View Post
JD,

I used Motul 5W-40 in the past for 3 oil changes and it performed well (good UOAs) but I had a lot of startup noise in the valvetrain, and that's why I went to Redline.

I tried Oil of Olay on my skin but after having it tested, I found out that its viscosity, flashpoint, and insolubles were way out of whack -- I attribute that to additive clash between the OoO and my natural Goombah oily skin! I'm getting better results with the La Mer product line -- at least the ZDDP levels are respectable.

Regards,
paul...
I didn't say to use it on your face !
Old 07-16-2013, 01:19 AM   #16

He didn't mention he used it on his face - again you are jumping to conclusions.

As a medical operative, I think the flashpoint & insoluables to Paul's Goombah skin are the critical componants.
Old 10-05-2014, 04:44 PM   #17

thread resurrection - only because there are too many of these inane oil threads to begin with!

Anyway, on to the question - what do the experts say about using dino oil? I know sythn is recommended, but will dino oil hurt? Too thick for the lifters? Other issues?
78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-05-2014, 05:30 PM   #18

It is a $5k to $26k engine.

I didn't worry about a $10 difference in oil cost every 6 months. I did buy my own oil.
mikefocke is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-06-2014, 01:58 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by linderpat View Post
thread resurrection - only because there are too many of these inane oil threads to begin with!

Anyway, on to the question - what do the experts say about using dino oil? I know sythn is recommended, but will dino oil hurt? Too thick for the lifters? Other issues?
Conventional oil, of the correct weight range, will not harm the engine per se, but it will not live very long, will varnish all the oil passages, and not clean the engine as well as a full synthetic. Cheaping out is not the way to go............
Old 10-06-2014, 03:29 AM   #20

to be clear, cost is not an issue for me. I do not "cheap out" on any of my cars. Instead, I am wondering about performance issues. Wondering if dino oil would be better at silencing clattering lifters. Jeff provided an answer - oil life is shorter. which is not an issue for me as I would just change it more often. Also varnish build-up - this is a potential significant issue. Any other performance concerns? Sythn seems so thin. I never use Mobile 1 on my 928 for instance. That car has never had even the slightest drip, but one time I used M1 and it leaked. Drained it and went back to my favorite brand of dino oil and never had another drip (although now I use Royal Purple in it with excellent results).
Anyway, my Boxster does not leak, so that is not a concern to me. Instead, it appears to my unscientific observation that dino oil of the same weight as sythn is "heavier" to the feel, or more viscious feeling.
Thoughts?

78 5 spd 928 Blumaxx (in Hemmings S & E issue #100)
85 928S garnet red stock daily driver
06 Mustang GT Legend Lime and modified to go even faster
linderpat is offline   Reply With Quote