Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-30-2014, 04:55 PM   #1

Durameteric Activations - Cam Change

With the ECU under control of the Durametric software, what is the effect (if any) of activating the cam shafts(...I believe it is called cam shaft change in the software)? At idle the cam shafts will already be activated...and the solenoid won't de-energize until 2500 to 3000 rpm IRC.

Will it just reverse the position? I wanted to try this to see if it would settle my cam shaft deviation numbers or promote a change when returned to the initial position and compared to previous data

Old 09-30-2014, 05:13 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by jaykay View Post
With the ECU under control of the Durametric software, what is the effect (if any) of activating the cam shafts(...I believe it is called cam shaft change in the software)? At idle the cam shafts will already be activated...and the solenoid won't de-energize until 2500 to 3000 rpm IRC.

Will it just reverse the position? I wanted to try this to see if it would settle my cam shaft deviation numbers or promote a change when returned to the initial position and compared to previous data
The answer depends upon the year of the car (VarioCam Vs., VarioCam +). When the Durametric activates the solenoid on a VarioCam car, the cam will move around 25 degrees. On a plus car, it is more complicated as the cam movement is variable rather than a single step, plus the later cars with lift control will also be engaged, but you should still see positive movement in the cam angles as well.

The Durametric activation system is for testing components to simply make sure they work (on-off), not to produce a specific measured cam angle change. On the VarioCam car it is predictable because the system simply moves the cam in one step rather than the more variable plus system. In any case, I do not believe that test the VarioCam will solve your issue.
Old 10-01-2014, 12:15 PM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by JFP in PA View Post
The answer depends upon the year of the car (VarioCam Vs., VarioCam +). When the Durametric activates the solenoid on a VarioCam car, the cam will move around 25 degrees. On a plus car, it is more complicated as the cam movement is variable rather than a single step, plus the later cars with lift control will also be engaged, but you should still see positive movement in the cam angles as well.

The Durametric activation system is for testing components to simply make sure they work (on-off), not to produce a specific measured cam angle change. On the VarioCam car it is predictable because the system simply moves the cam in one step rather than the more variable plus system. In any case, I do not believe that test the VarioCam will solve your issue.
Thank you....so a cycle for 25 back and out.. yes it's not a vario plus....I was hoping that actuating the solenoids a few times might stabilize my readings or make them unstable.....perhaps this could point to a wear pad issue on the vario cam chain pads or weakness in the solenoids. IRC they are energized at idle...maybe the holding power is not what it should be

Yes the solution would be tear down and replace

Last edited by jaykay; 10-01-2014 at 12:18 PM.
jaykay is offline   Reply With Quote