Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 03-18-2006, 10:51 AM   #1

Sport chrono stop watch

Anyone with the sport chrono stop watch without PCM figured out a way to have the stop watch automatically time you 0-end point. In other words, rather than having to manually stop the timer with your left hand as your driving, can you program the timer to stop at a set speed?

It seems like a very cool toy (naturally my wife who is car-enthusiast impaired called it a gay boy thing!) and of course, it looks awesome positioned in the center of the dash - but what was Porsche thinking about having a timer that you have to start and stop while you're driving? Just one more thing to take your eye's of the road?! I've got to believe that the engineers at Porsche must have considered this. Am I missing something (like say the PCM?)

Japanese Rising Sun roof graphic
De-ambered and nearly de-chromed!

Sold - 05 BMW 330CI ZHP M-tuned
Imola Red, 6spd, Alcantra & Carbon Fiber Interior

Sold - 05 Boxster Black/Black 5spd
19" Carrera S Wheels
Bose Audio System/Sport Chrono Pkg
Schnell Short Shifter
Yellow Calipers c/ carbon fiber Porsche lettering
De-Ambered

Sold - 03 VW Beetle Silver - way too modified!
mach schnell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-18-2006, 11:23 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by mach schnell
Am I missing something (like say the PCM?)
No, you're just one of the intelligent guys that realizes how worthless the chrono part of the Sport Chrono package is.
Old 03-19-2006, 08:53 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
No, you're just one of the intelligent guys that realizes how worthless the chrono part of the Sport Chrono package is.
But you do agree - it looks pretty cool! Although, I'm sure all the Porsche admirer's who don't know what it is, think it's probably just a cool looking clock, when they gawk at my car in the parking lot or on the road!

So, maybe it's safe to say that the 987 and 987s actually have quicker 0-60 times, unless our pals in Germany have the amazing ability to click that stopwatch off right at 60. Since I know that's impossible - I NOW PROCLAIM TO EVERYONE THAT THE CORRECTED 0-60 TIMES FOR THE 987 AND 987S ARE 5.4s and 4.6s, respectively (providing for approx. 5/10s delay between noting the 60s endpoint and correctly clicking off the stopwtch -

I Love it that my car just got faster without spending any money!!!!!!

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered

Old 03-19-2006, 06:02 PM   #4

(I actually universally hate the way the chrono looks and if I could've ordered the sport button without the chrono, I would've... sorry! )
Old 03-19-2006, 06:28 PM   #5
bmussatti

Quote:
Originally Posted by eslai
(I actually universally hate the way the chrono looks and if I could've ordered the sport button without the chrono, I would've... sorry! )

I think you can do this in Europe.
Old 03-22-2006, 10:56 AM   #6

Garage
After playing with this for a bit, all of 900 miles,

I don't think it's possible to start, stop and reset without taking you eye off the road atleast once; not something I'd want to do at a DE.

The best way I could think of it working is that while at a DE, keep it in the sport chrono mode display before you get on the track then after a few laps and you've got it set to go, press the stalk to start and then at the end of the lap press it again to stop. You'll have one lap time for review but I can't imagine resetting it while driving; so one timed lap per run session?

Anyway, since I've been driving with it on the street I like the more agressive throttle setting and the PSM supposedly intervines later in the sport mode so you can get the rear to rotate more easily. Should be very helpful on a auto-x; the timer without the PCM , however, seems a lot more difficault to use. while driving.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:21 AM   #7

Mike and Mach, I haven't driven a sport chrono base 987, so can you describe the more aggressive throttle setting? Does it just feel like the throttle responds more quickly or does it respond with greater urgency (I guess the latter would be described as feeling "torquier").

Throttle response is pretty good on my box, but sometimes it feels like they engineered a little latitude in which a pricey option could be inserted to improve the response (I can't imagine Porsche doing something so sneaky).

I would imagine then that there is in fact a discrepancy in 0-60 times with sports chrono on-off. Perhaps the 5.9 figure that's widely floated for the base is only achievable with the sport package.

06 987S- Sold
Carrara White / Black / Black/Stone Grey Two-tone

05 987 5-speed - Sold
Midnight Blue Metallic / Metropol Blue / Sand Beige

06 MB SLK350- Lease escapee
Iridium Silver Metallic / Black

We've heard that a million monkeys at a million keyboards could produce the complete works of Shakespeare; now, thanks to the Internet, we know that is not true. - Robert Wilensky
SD987 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 11:54 AM   #8

I think it was made more for lap times than 0-60 runs. Funny because they'll probably void your warranty if they find out that you are racing it anyway.
But what is so important about driving faster than anyone else?
Lots of people go through life doing things badly. Racing's important to men who do it well.
When you're racing, it's life. Anything that happens before or after is just waiting.
Porschekid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:09 PM   #9

Misinformation alert: Driver's Eds are not racing, and Porsche cannot void your warranty for taking your car on the track.
Chris C Atlanta is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 01:15 PM   #10

Garage
My seat of the pants feeling is..

that you get more actual throttle increase, per mm of actual depresion of the gas pedal, than with it turned off. In the sales book there was a chart which said essentially with a 5mm depression of the gas peddle with no sport chron you get xx; with sport chron on you get xxx --or something to that effect. More go with less throttle is the way I look at it. Seems to make matching engine speeds on downshifting--blipping the throttle--easier.

As I may have said earlier, I can see where this might help in a auto-x, but less so at a DE.
MikenOH is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-22-2006, 08:04 PM   #11

essentially, with sport mode activated, just a tap on the gas pedal gets a bit more rush out of the car. It's even noticeable when you're sitting in stop and go traffic (something that happens alot in soCal - if you can pix, constantly in and out on the clutch with a tender foot on the gas - if I'm used to non-sport, then throw it on sport while stuck in traffic, it will feel like I'm giving too much gas while the clutch is not all the way out.

Haven't yet taken the car anywhere for good hard driving with sport mode activated and PSM on, vs sport activated and PSM off. Once I have, will post some impressions.

19" Carrera S Wheels
Schnell Short Shifter
De-Ambered