Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 02-19-2015, 08:31 AM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by flete25 View Post
can you post pics of the kicker hideaway sub install in your car ? I was thinking of buying that sub but wasn't sure were to put it since am 6'3" in guess ill put it behind the passenger side wife is only 5'3"...
It will fit behind her seat perfectly. The base will be slid forward just a bit but the seat will still recline all the way back. Ill get pics soon for you.

juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-19-2015, 09:07 AM   #22

Just found this on Pioneers website. Only 2-3/8" high, brand new.

TS-WH500A - 8 ¼" HVT Sealed Active Subwoofer | Pioneer Electronics USA
Old 02-20-2015, 12:16 PM   #23

This is the Kicker Hideaway behind my seat. I am 5'7 and have no issues with it there which is why its behind mine, if I were taller I could simply have put it behind the passenger seat. That Pioneer option also looks nice and will save a 1/2 and inch but I really like the quality of the kicker and will vouch for it on sound quality and ease of installation.

*note* disregard condition of my seats. my purchase of a zeintop pushed that project right on down the road. Its also snowing so that's why all the white lines in the pic.

I will post the link to the subwoofer as well.
KICKER | Hideaway Powered Subwoofer
Old 02-20-2015, 06:35 PM   #24
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogosha View Post
Just found this on Pioneers website. Only 2-3/8" high, brand new.

TS-WH500A - 8 ¼" HVT Sealed Active Subwoofer | Pioneer Electronics USA
great find. It was just announced in Jan

Just need to see if it will fit under the seat
it is 13-7/16 x 9-7/8 x 2-3/8

If it fits, it is perfect!

The subaru one may be a better value at under $100
2014 Porsche Performance Driving School
2020 BMW X3, 2013 Ram 1500, 2016 Cmax, 2004 F-150 "Big Red"

Last edited by JayG; 02-20-2015 at 06:38 PM.
JayG is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 05:34 AM   #25

JayG,

A better value isn't always what you want when you are looking to increase the depth and clarity of sound in your car. I would for sure have to hear one before purchasing one. A subwoofer, amp, and custom enclosure is essentially what you get in a powered sub and for 100$.. I just don't know. Either super incredible deal orrrr......
Old 02-21-2015, 06:32 AM   #26
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
Originally Posted by juiced99ws6 View Post
JayG,

A better value isn't always what you want when you are looking to increase the depth and clarity of sound in your car. I would for sure have to hear one before purchasing one. A subwoofer, amp, and custom enclosure is essentially what you get in a powered sub and for 100$.. I just don't know. Either super incredible deal orrrr......
You have a point, but bear in mind I'm not looking or expecting an audiophile system. For Pete's sake, its a car! Don't need to spend $$$$ IMHO

The Subaru sub is used and probably new is $300+. The biggest issue is the space under the seat and what will actually fit. I do not want to give up ANY legroom at all.

The Pioneer unit look like it may fit, probably need to pull the seat and measure. It is a new interesting technology.

I'm just looking to fill in the bass a little, so any sub will be fine as long as it fits

Last edited by JayG; 02-21-2015 at 06:59 AM.
Old 02-21-2015, 06:41 AM   #27

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayG View Post
You have a point, but bear in mind I'm not looking or expecting an audiophile system. For Pete's sake, its a car! Don't need to spend $$$$ IMHO

The Subaru sub is used and probably new is $300+. The biggest issue is the space under the seat and what will actually fit. I do not want to give up ANY legroom at all.

The Pioneer unit look like it may fit, probably need to pull the seat and measure. It is a new interesting technology.

I'm just looking to fill in the bass a little, so any sub will be fin as long as it fits
Jay,
My sentiments exactly, you beat me to it. I don't expect the Subaru unit to turn my stock system into BOSE, but I am sure it will be an improvement. Please let me know if you take those measurements.
Old 02-21-2015, 08:57 AM   #28

Quote:

I'm just looking to fill in the bass a little, so any sub will be fine as long as it fits
I can understand not wanting to compromise any cabin room whatsoever but if speaking in terms of value I'm not quite sure it can be recommended to the forum to just get that sub. I am trying to offer up what I have already done to help any boxster owner who may be interested. Great price on one used sub will help only one person. If they are normally very similar costwise to what I have posted the the price point is moot.

One way to go about the space issue is tof do the same thinf Porsche did originally only better. Seal the door enclosures better and add a dynamat door kit to reduce rattle. Then pick out two nice 6.5 inch subs for the doors and use a quality amp and lowpass filter to add bass. You will get less bass, pay more, and remove two highs for your system but its really about the only way I see at this point. I haven't found anything small enough to go under the seat. I don't believe a passenger would ever evem notice the difference behind their seat.

If there wete a hundred dollar no compromise option I think we would all have it by now. interested to hear your findings.
Old 02-21-2015, 02:31 PM   #29
On the slippery slope

Garage
^^^^^
If you don't have factory door speakers, then a separate sub is really the best option. Adding door speakers is a PITA. Not only do you need to fit the enclosures, you need to replace the door panels with ones that have the speaker grills as they are different and have a bulge for the door speakers. Even worse is adding the wiring to the door. You need to add pins to both sides of the door connector as well as get access to the connector mounted on the door frame and actually run more wires into the harness.
If you already have door speakers, then its different.

And yes, at least my wife would notice a reduction in leg room either by putting a sub behind the seat or a footwell enclosure. I know because I simulated a behind seat sub with a cardboard box 2.5 in thick. Big difference in leg room.

The Subaru subs are fairly available and not a one off, lots available on ebay, etc. If the new pioneer will fit under the seat, it may be better than the Subaru sub, maybe not. Certainly much higher cost.

Last edited by JayG; 02-21-2015 at 02:43 PM.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:25 PM   #30

Well in that case hopefully you find what you are looking for. Its a tall order on a short budget and I have already been down this road. I am interested to see if you can wedge one under the seat. When I got mine that was my intention in both my old MR2 and in the Boxster. It wasn't even close to possible but maybe you can find differently! Best of luck man.
Old 02-21-2015, 05:31 PM   #31

One thing I did fail to mention though, and this is for anyone who is interested and drives with a passenger only part time or has one that may or may not be bothered by the minor reduction in leg room. The powered sub has a single quick connector on it. From the time to unlock your doors to the time you set it in the trunk would be under 60 seconds. Just something else to consider on your quest for better sound. I though about this when read the OPs first post. Significantly smaller than what he was talking about building and easier to remove.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:16 PM   #32

It certainly was never my intention to suggest that the addition of the Subaru subwoofer on its own was going to solve all issues. I simply did some digging, and came across it. I bit the bullet, and purchased a used one off of ebay for $70 shipped. I plan on installing it along with upgrading ALL of the speakers, including installing rear deck speakers. This will eventually be completed with a new HU, and probably an amp. I may even put one or 2 Dayton TT-25 16 Tactile Transducer Mini Bass Shakers into the mix. I am not an audiophile, nor is my wife, so I'm confident the speaker upgrades will be a vast improvement. YMMV.

Last edited by Hogosha; 02-21-2015 at 07:18 PM.
Hogosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-21-2015, 07:18 PM   #33
On the slippery slope

Garage
Quote:
One thing I did fail to mention though, and this is for anyone who is interested and drives with a passenger only part time or has one that may or may not be bothered by the minor reduction in leg room. The powered sub has a single quick connector on it. From the time to unlock your doors to the time you set it in the trunk would be under 60 seconds. Just something else to consider on your quest for better sound. I though about this when read the OPs first post. Significantly smaller than what he was talking about building and easier to remove.
Not a bad idea.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:38 PM   #34

Quote:
Not a bad idea.
It's what I always considered when I first bought the Kicker, just didn't think to mention it sooner lol. Anyways if it is a route anyone it interested in I could always take pics of the connector and how easy it is to pull out. Mine isn't mounted to anything, just wedged behind the seat. If you manage to get one under the seat somehow it just mounts with straps that I threw out long ago.
Old 02-21-2015, 07:46 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hogosha View Post
It certainly was never my intention to suggest that the addition of the Subaru subwoofer on its own was going to solve all issues. I simply did some digging, and came across it. I bit the bullet, and purchased a used one off of ebay for $70 shipped. I plan on installing it along with upgrading ALL of the speakers, including installing rear deck speakers. This will eventually be completed with a new HU, and probably an amp. I may even put one or 2 Dayton TT-25 16 Tactile Transducer Mini Bass Shakers into the mix. I am not an audiophile, nor is my wife, so I'm confident the speaker upgrades will be a vast improvement. YMMV.
If you have door speakers in your car I wouldn't waste money on rear speaker upgrade until after you hear the upgrade on the rest of the speakers. I did a factory AMP bypass, the double din conversion with a Pioneer 6.5 in touchscreen DVD, and new door speakers and dash speakers and it gets pretty freaking loud. Can hear with clarity at highway speeds and top down, and audiophile or not, that should be the goal with an awesome roadster such as the ones we have.

As for cost, the double din was a personal preference that set me back about 500. Amp bypass (if you have one) is easy and can be done for 5 bucks easy. My four new speakers ran about 80 bucks at best buy. Had I gone with a single din and kit I could have been around 200$ for the head unit. So for 300$ you can have pretty great sound with no real bass to speak of. Find a subwoofer (still highly recommend the kicker) and the most you will spend is 300$ on pretty much any that you find. 600$ can get you a really good sounding boxster with bluetooth connectivity with pandora streaming and everything else. Pretty good investment so something that is used often.
Old 02-22-2015, 06:57 AM   #36

Subscribed guys, that is top info, thx

This spring or when the weather gets a tad better I am trashing the stock speakers and replacing with a medium range aftermarket kit. Thinking about 2din as well, new dash and door + whatever sub works under the seat. Same as Jay, at 6,2' so can't afford any less leg room.

Impatient to hear about Hogosha's kit

Engine noise is music enough but still... I NEED THIS THING TO SLAP loll Sick and tired of the poor quality sound in that roadster. A half-decent sound system is all what's missing in my car really :/
Old 02-26-2015, 05:44 AM   #37

I recieved the Subaru Subwoofer in the mail yesterday. It is quite a compact unit! It measures 10"x 8-5/8"x2". It came with the mounting bracket and plug. I am going to give it a basic test over the weekend. I will also post pics later.
Old 02-28-2015, 07:40 AM   #38

OK, here are some pics of the unit, I placed a dollar bill on top for scale reference. I just have to figure out how to bench test the darn thing!
Attached Images

Last edited by Hogosha; 02-28-2015 at 07:48 AM.
Hogosha is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-19-2015, 07:49 AM   #39

Quote:

This is the Kicker Hideaway behind my seat. I am 5'7 and have no issues with it there which is why its behind mine, if I were taller I could simply have put it behind the passenger seat. That Pioneer option also looks nice and will save a 1/2 and inch but I really like the quality of the kicker and will vouch for it on sound quality and ease of installation.

*note* disregard condition of my seats. my purchase of a zeintop pushed that project right on down the road. Its also snowing so that's why all the white lines in the pic.

I will post the link to the subwoofer as well.
KICKER | Hideaway Powered Subwoofer
I just installed this sub in mine. Not bad for the size. Definitely fills the lack of bass in the car. I also bypassed my factory amp with an aftermarket to make my Alpine dash and Pioneer door speakers work better. I am pretty satisfied with the overall sound now. My ears are happy again during my drives. I had the Subaru under seat sub in my last Subaru's I owned and it is more of a mid range speaker than a sub. Very little bass output. I would recommend the kicker unit if you can get it cheaper than 300 online or ebay. I bit the bullet when I was at Best buy so I paid full MSRP which is rare for me but money well spent if you like higher quality sound systems. I have replaced every sound system in every car I have owned since I was 16.

Last edited by antny; 03-19-2015 at 07:53 AM.
antny is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-25-2015, 12:03 PM   #40

Anyone had the Kenwood KSC-SW11 installed yet? It is 2.8" thick. Will that fit behind the passenger seat without taking away legroom?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

sjbox is offline   Reply With Quote