View Single Post
Old 02-08-2015, 10:55 PM   #13
juiced99ws6

Hey all,
I realize this is a fairly old thread but I have done a full custom stereo in my 2002 boxster so I will outline what is done.
I did the dual din conversion which was a pain in the butt, but worth it. Went with a Pioneer DVD player with 6.5 inch touchscreen. I did the micro-bypass so I did not have to hook it up to the e-brake and have full functionality at all times.
I then replaced all speakers with pioneer highs. I had the door and dash speakers in my car. When you do this the speaker buckets in the dash will have to be modified. There is a write up online for this that is very informative. The door speakers were direct replacements.
Now the door speakers will not do anything through the factory amp since the factory speakers were made to be purely for bass. With the updated deck you do not need the factory amp any longer. I removed the amp and cut both connectors off. Then I capped the amp power ground and remote wires. You should then be left with 8 wires out of each connector. You then find the corresponding colors from each bundle and simply splice them together. Also on the radio end you will have to cut the old harness to splice the wires on that end to the speaker wires on your new deck. You will have 5 wires instead of 8. One is a common negative for all speakers so you will just be splicing all four negatives to that wire. Then you simply match the colors for the other four.
Now since this whole thread was about bass, I used a Kicker Hideaway 8 inch woofer. I am 5'7 so I was able to put it behind my drivers seat and not lose any leg room at all. the seat back can still sit all the way back and the seat is only slid forward no more than about 2 inches on the rails. If you do not want to lose any personal legroom it could easily be installed behind the passenger seat back without your passenger even losing enough legroom to notice. It cost 300$, took about an hour to install, and provides substantial clean bass to my stereo. The car sounds amazing and everything can be heard crystal clear at highway speeds. Any questions feel free to ask.
juiced99ws6 is offline   Reply With Quote