Go Back   986 Forum - The Community for Porsche Boxster & Cayman Owners > Porsche Boxster & Cayman Forums > Performance and Technical Chat

LinkBack Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-19-2014, 09:09 PM   #1

Flashing CEL but no codes

Two instances within 10 minutes of less than 10 seconds of flashing CEL.

There were no codes from a generic reader.

Would a Durametric show me anything more?

Old 09-20-2014, 09:40 AM   #2

A flashing CEL may indicate a potentially catastrophic engine problem. Yes, a durametric will show more codes than a generic reader. If it were my car, I would nor run the engine until I found the source of the problem.
thom4782 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 11:18 AM   #3

Garage
I've had this happen twice and it also involved the car sputtering and backfiring out the intake. Any of that happening? What is going on with the way the car is running that is causing that flashing check engine light?
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2014, 12:25 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
I've had this happen twice and it also involved the car sputtering and backfiring out the intake. Any of that happening?
The first event was about 10 seconds, going downhill, no noticeable change in performance. The second event was about 10 minutes later and lasted about 5 seconds; I was going uphill and there was some sputtering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jdraupp View Post
What is going on with the way the car is running that is causing that flashing check engine light?
That's the million dollar question, my friend. I've also had a metallic smell coming from the back end; not sure if it's related.
Old 09-20-2014, 12:28 PM   #5

[QUOTE=thom4782;418879]Yes, a durametric will show more codes than a generic reader. QUOTE]

Could you enlighten me as to what additional types of codes the Durametric might show in this instance? I.e. how are they different from a generic reader?
Old 09-20-2014, 01:25 PM   #6

[QUOTE=clickman;418890]
Quote:
Originally Posted by thom4782 View Post
Yes, a durametric will show more codes than a generic reader. QUOTE]

Could you enlighten me as to what additional types of codes the Durametric might show in this instance? I.e. how are they different from a generic reader?
Generic code readers show "global" DTC codes that many makes use. Durametric is a Porsche specific (read Porsche only) diagnostic tool that can access and even activate many systems the global units cannot even see.
Old 09-20-2014, 02:46 PM   #7

Thanks JFP. Would the Durametric potentially provide information furthering diagnosis of the flashing CEL? If so, what sort of info?
Old 09-20-2014, 03:07 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by clickman View Post
Thanks JFP. Would the Durametric potentially provide information furthering diagnosis of the flashing CEL? If so, what sort of info?
The Durametric is like all quality diagnostic tools, if function's more like a compass than a GPS in that it will point you in the correct direction, but will not give you turn by turn directions to you destination.

The Durametric will show you all current and pending DTC codes for a Porsche, to which you have to apply diagnostic logic to determine what the problem actually is. For example, a common code is related to the O2 sensors, so most would immediately replace the sensors, which are expensive. But in reality, the exact code definitions would reveal that the car is running too rich or too lean, which implies that the car may have a vacuum leak (lean) or a leaking injector (rich). So replacing the O2 sensor would do nothing.

So along with the retrieved system data, you will need both the code definition's, and a developed sense for what they are telling you. There are no free lunches in this world.
Old 09-20-2014, 04:24 PM   #9

Garage
I realize you dont know what's causing the check engine light, but you didn't leave any symptoms to let anyone else know. That was my point.

This could mean a multitude of things. Generally flashing cel means shut it down and relates to a mis fire. Could be failing Variocam actuators, could be a lean condition or rich condition (cant remember which one causes sputtering and the light to flash) could be carbon buildup, but its hard to say without other codes or symptoms. Id let it ride and if it comes back get it into a shop. Hate to see your engine turn into a paperweight while youre trying to gather information.
jdraupp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-21-2014, 07:49 AM   #10

The MIL (CEL) flashes to warn you of potential cat con damage if you keep operating. Since the parts cost for the 2000+ Boxsters' four cat cons is about $6,000......
Old 09-21-2014, 07:08 PM   #11

A flashing CEL can be caused by a multiple of things. Could be:

Ignition coil has failed
Fuel injector has failed
Engine computer has failed
Spark plug
Spark plug wire
Bad engine valves

We need more info to determine the issue. A durametric will give you codes related to the issue, very helpful, but you still need to check specific system and auto parts to find out the reason. Or you can delete the codes and see if the light goes out. Normally the light would go out, but it doesn't mean the problem is fixed as the light will come back again.

guesswecan777 is offline   Reply With Quote